cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Why does my ryzen 7 2700x boot with only 7 cores and 14 logical processors

For some reasons on boot or even after boot and during use, my task manager says ryzen only has 7 cores and 14 logical processors. How do I fix this other than rebooting, why does it happen?

0 Likes
1 Solution

So I appreciate everyone's help, however, none of those solutions lead to a resolution. What did seem to fix not only the core issues but my ram not booting with its overclock was updating my UEFI/BIOS, now everything works great, and PBO is now an option. Hopefully, that helps anyone that is having issues with only one core being deactivated upon boot.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

connor.phares, most likely because you have a stale copy of Windows.  Please install a fresh copy of Windows onto a freshly formatted disk.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

It came with a fresh install onto an ssd when I bought it, it was such a good deal that I bought a pre-built with ryzen 2700x and gtx 1070ti.

0 Likes

connor.phares, I would suggest you ask the suppliers.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

What does Windows Task Manager show under Performance for the CPU?

Have you tried using Windows settings under System Configuration to try and activate all the cores on the CPU?

EDIT: You can try installing AMD Ryzen Master and see if you can activate all cores using that. Also BIOS/UEFI sometimes has CPU Settings for the amount of cores to be activated.

Before installing and using Ryzen Master be sure to put your BIOS/UEFI back to default settings, sometimes called "Optimum Settings or Factory Reset etc" or follow your MoBo instructions on how to physically reset the BIOS/UEFI (removing Battery)

This is very helpful, I went to settings and set it to 16 so hopefully it would start with all cores, UEFI is pretty much default settings minus the ram overclock and fan speed adjustment, but it had this issue the first time I booted up. Task manager shows normal clock speeds when it happens and so does ryzen master. Ryzen master shows 600mhz clock speed on core 8 however and task manager shows 7 cores and 14 logical processors

0 Likes

So I appreciate everyone's help, however, none of those solutions lead to a resolution. What did seem to fix not only the core issues but my ram not booting with its overclock was updating my UEFI/BIOS, now everything works great, and PBO is now an option. Hopefully, that helps anyone that is having issues with only one core being deactivated upon boot.

0 Likes