cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

brucer
Forerunner

why arent these ryzen 3000 cpus hitting their advertised speeds?

as the title suggests...  Why isnt the 3800x or any of the other new Ryzen cpus not hitting their advertised speeds?

0 Likes
13 Replies
sqwerty
Adept II

Not sure what that thread about idle clock/voltage bug has got to do with OPs question but I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been any real sort of outrage about this. The boost clock speed on the box is only achieved using smoke (high voltage) and mirrors (nano second boost duration).

0 Likes

Kind of what I noticed.. lol

0 Likes

there is an outrage on Reddit. check the threads. AMD just doesn't care to acknowledge the problem.

0 Likes
conraire
Adept III

I don't know about yours, but my 3800x boosts to above 4.5Ghz currently.  Even without XFR/PBO enabled.  Mine may be due to running a pretty good AiO liquid cooler though.

0 Likes

I'm running air, but its a Cryorig H5u, cpu doesnt get over 52c.  

conraire, are you running the Ryzen power plan in windows?  I dont have that option for some reason, I guess I need to manually install it.. 

0 Likes

Yes, Ryzen balanced.  The power plans come with the latest chipset drivers from the amd website.

0 Likes

Found my problem... I installed the chipset drivers from Asrock's site, which are outdated because Asrock support is garbage..

I'll never buy another Asrock board, they are the slowest manufacturer to update bios' and technical support issues..

Installed the amd chipset driver package from AMD, then enabled the Ryzen Balanced power plan..  I installed Ryzen Master and have been playing with it.. I got my Cinebench r20 single core score 521, multicore 5036.  Its now boosting to 4.500ghz..

0 Likes

Glad you got it sorted--you should update your thread to indicate it has been solved.  Yes, indeed--for things like GPU and chipset drivers, download them always from AMD's site direct--always go to the site of the hardware manufacturer of your products and peripherals for device drivers.  The only time you can't do that is in the case of most laptops, because usually they use custom devices requiring custom drivers only available from the laptop OEM.   

Updating chipset drivers from AMD website didn't not solve it for me though, so no it is not solved. There is still a problem with high end AMD Ryzen 9 CPUs not hitting advertised speeds.

0 Likes
s_vayner
Adept III

I got the same issue. Latest drivers and Bios Ryzen 3900x on Asus Prime x570 pro. never get more than 4.2mhz on single core even for a split second. This is my first and last build from AMD i should have known better than to buy into this hype. AMD is always been second best to Intel and now they resort to lying to get customers.

0 Likes
winwiz
Journeyman III

I'm running a (water-cooled) 3700x on a cheap AsRock ab350 itx board. Before installing Ryzen master all cores would temporary hit 4.4 GHz. I installed zen master and tried to overclock. Then I noticed my CPU would only boost two cores to 4.4GHz, so I reset zen master, but still only two cores would boost to 4.4.

So I'm guessing Ryzen master changes something in windows registry that control boost.

If anyone could figure out what zen master changes in windows, maybe we could edit this settings manual? This could possibly help a lot of people with boost problems.

0 Likes
advanced3
Adept I

My 3700x has never once hit its advertised boost clock of 4.4Ghz, never once. 

0 Likes