cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

icf80
Adept II

Why 3800x all core boost is ~4175 MHz 72C?

x570 Aorus Master F10 3800X AGESA 1.0.0.4 B

Noctua NH-D15, ~800 rpm manual settings, both

Power plan: AMD Ryzen Balanced

NO PBO, NO AUTO OC, JUST XMP in BIOS

all core boost ~4175 MHz 72C

single core boost ~4450 MHz 58C

CINEBENCH R20 5018 pts / 513 pts / 9.78x

CPU-Z ~548 / ~5720

I was expecting more all core and single core boost. I see others are having a higher boost.

25 Replies

NO PBO, NO AUTO OC, JUST XMP in BIOS

That's why.

Maybe not, black_zion.  Let's see what the RM shot shows.  I'm guessing that the temperature is too high or one or more than one of PPT, TDC or EDC is maxed out.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

ao38sf32cv141.jpg

0 Likes

Thanks, icf80.  That all looks good.  Please post a screenshot of CPU-Z MB tab, showing the BIOS/AGESA.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Untitled.png

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

icf80, please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your response.  Two images, please, for single and all.  With so little information, I can only guess insufficient cooling.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT: After more thinking, you are essentially there.  Maximum boost is 4500MHz and your single core boost is 4446MHz (98.8%).  AMD says maximum core boost is single not all.  Please do post your BIOS/AGESA.

0 Likes

icf80, AGESA 1.0.0.4 should contain the latest Boost correction.  If you have not re-installed the AMD chip set drivers since installing the 1.0.0.0.4, please DL it here and install it.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I have the latest chipset drivers.

0 Likes

I run my box at stock speeds and do not worry much about the CPU speed. I also run my RX 480 which is factory overclocked at its defaults.

I can play every game out there, but I am looking at a more powerful GPU given the new console specs

0 Likes
lhorace
Adept II

I'm getting the same results here! And there is multiple post about this? Exactly the same outcome. 4.4Ghz All Core and 4.45 once in the blue moon.

0 Likes
m3g4
Journeyman III

Well that's funny, I'm getting an all core clock of just 4.05GHz with temps around 82c running with the stock cooler.

I have an ASRock X570 Pro4 and AMD AGESA Version: Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4
My CPU never hits 4900 in CinaBench R20 and I never saw more than 4.3 Single core clock

I have Auto overclocking on because I'm not very good with it

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

Am I missing something?

0 Likes

If you want to get better boost performance you will need an AIO water cooler setup

0 Likes

I don't plan on buying a cooler as the gains are little compared to their prices.

All I'm wondering was if the results are normal for my setup or something is wrong with my settings.

0 Likes

On my 3700x I see a temperature difference of about 20 degrees lower using a 212 evo vs the Wraith Prism. Only you can decide if that is worth about 35 bucks or not. For me it is a max of 73 vs 92 on the prism which the latter is near the 95 thermal limit. While I applaud the factory coolers being better than pretty much they have ever been I don't find them adequate and I run at stock speeds. Keeping it cooler avoids thermal throttling and that can make a huger performance difference. Now I absolutely think the silicon lottery as well as different case scenario with air flow all are a factor between some running hotter than others.

0 Likes

I use MX-4 with my Wraith Prism, CPU is thermally stable with any workload

0 Likes

Did you notice any clock gains using the 212 evo cooler?

It costs 70-80$ where I live and getting it shipped will also cost as much.

I would really like to get the Dark Rock 4, even though it would cost as much as a third of the CPU price, but as far as I can tell there's not much to be gained.

0 Likes

I don't over clock if that is what you are asking. It is better as far as not thermal throttling and that translates into higher sustained clocks. Not higher than the stock peak.

It has been shown from most the top tech sites that overclocking the Zen 2 doesn't really help and in many cases makes the chips slower. Due to their architectural difference they are not like any other chips and don't have much OC headroom. Plus when you force them they no longer work dynamically as they did and they are far more efficient to let them work at defaults across the board. 

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

I don't over clock if that is what you are asking. It is better as far as not thermal throttling and that translates into higher sustained clocks. Not higher than the stock peak.

It has been shown from most the top tech sites that overclocking the Zen 2 doesn't really help and in many cases makes the chips slower. Due to their architectural difference they are not like any other chips and don't have much OC headroom. Plus when you force them they no longer work dynamically as they did and they are far more efficient to let them work at defaults across the board. 

Turbo boost is supposed to be able to automatically handle that when needed 

0 Likes

That was my point that the auto settings are about as good as you are going to ever get on these. Obviously the silicon lottery is going to produce some exceptions but generally speaking the bin these chips pretty closely to their max capability. Not a lot of room for more. 

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

That was my point that the auto settings are about as good as you are going to ever get on these. Obviously the silicon lottery is going to produce some exceptions but generally speaking the bin these chips pretty closely to their max capability. Not a lot of room for more. 

EVGA has water blocks for their cards, for those who want to indulge in vanity ad nauseum

hard to sell cards on ebay that don't have a cooler attached

I don't overclock, hardware is expensive enough.

0 Likes

I don't have PBO or AutoOC. Have you installed latest chip-set drivers? the latest ones dropped my temp by 5 degrees!

0 Likes
m3g4
Journeyman III

I have.

Same results, temps around 80c doing 4.05ghz all core.

0 Likes
fyrel
Miniboss

Did some testing with my 3600x to look at thermal throttling.

Running Cinebench R20

Default fan curve. CPU temp 65C all core boost 4125MHz

Fan curve with all temp points reduced 20C. Cpu temp 55C all core boost 4266MHz

Full Fans all the time. CPU temp 50C all core boost 4300MHz

Looks like the Ryzen chips try and keep the temperature down starting well below the thermal threshold.

0 Likes
m3g4
Journeyman III

That's good to know, so It might make a fair difference.

Have you tried under volting ?

Some people say running Ryzen on 1.25 volts decreases temps while maintaining clock speeds

0 Likes

Haven't tried undervolting.

After running Cinebench 3 times

HWinfo report max CPU voltage used as 1.206V

Motherboard reports max of 1.232V to CPU core.

0 Likes