cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

lukx
Adept I

Which GSkill 64GB (4x16) Memory for Threadripper 3970x

I found this kind of information that even that new TR can use DDR4-3200 it's sweet spot for 64GB is 3600 is it true?

Or better get DDR4-3200 with 14 CL. Or this 3600 speed will only work with two sticks that are 2x32GB ? And for 4x16Gb better get 3200?

TR3000-Memory.jpg

Also as contradict I found this;

Memory-Configs-Table.jpg

0 Likes
15 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

lukx, I am also thinking of a 3970X but have not started to look for memory - thinking about similar.  I would suggest to e-mail G.Skill and ask them for 16GB sticks that are single rank.  Single rank present half the load on the bus of dual rank and therefore should run faster.  Only recently has single rank 16GB memory shown up.  Hopefully G.Skill now has Samsung B-Dies in 16GB single rank.  I know nothing about sweet spots.  Please do not forget this is a user forum and to get get AMD help please go here.  I sell no parts, but have gotten really good response from their support.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Actual maximum RAM speed support is determined by your motherboard, so you should check the QVL list of whatever motherboard you are wanting to buy. The ASUS Prime TRX40-Pro, for example, lists several 64gb memory kits above 3200mhz. I would suggest going to the forums of the professional programs you will be using and seek out advice of RAM speed vs latency performance benefit if you're worried about a cost to performance ratio, or just get the highest speed kit with the lowest timings on your motherboard's QVL list if you're not worried about cost, but as you probably know the fastest 64GB kit the example motherboard is rated for also costs near 3x what a 3200mhz kit of the same capacity would cost.

0 Likes

That is awfully expensive for 8GB sticks

G.skill are not so pricey and work fine

0 Likes
hive
Elite

I bought the F4-3600C16Q-64GTZN 4x16GB Samsung B-die 16.16.16.36. 1.35v i have mailed Gskill about this with the question if this is supported but they only replied with "use the Ram Configurator on the website" ,kinda useless as it was not up to date.  this memory kit it is becoming more rare to come by so i bought it and i will build my system this week when i get the memory kit.. i will report back with my findings.

Btw F4-3600C16Q-64GTZN is suported by all ryzen 3000 series so lets hope Threadripper works as well

Spec,

Threadripper 3970X

Asus Zenith II extreme

0 Likes

hive, if this is single rank memory, I think you will be fine at 3600.  Please keep us informed.  I am thinking of a 3970X.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

No it is dual ranked memory, but that should be oke because if you look at the qvl list you see at 3733mhz hyper x memory dual ranked 4x16gb @ 14.16.16.36 so that is even higher and supported. This is why I am so confused why this kit is not listed at the qvl list.. maybe because Samsung b-die is EOL ? And they don't bother testing it ?

0 Likes

Thanks, hive.  Please let me know how it runs.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I Just got a e-mail from Gskill and they confirmed that the F4-3600C16Q-64GTZN should work with latest bios. 

ryzen1988
Adept II

The sweet spot speed wise is max 3600mhz so the infinity fabric can run 1:1 with memory speeds.

I always have G.skill Flare X, Neo, or just tridentz series.

Always single rank with the B die chips from samsung.

This is probaly the best kit currently available, just look at the timings

F4-3600C14Q-32GTZN

Trident Z Neo
DDR4-3600MHz CL14-15-15-35 1.40V
32GB (4x8GB)
0 Likes

F4-3600C14Q-32GTZN

Is not on either qvl list .. 

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

Thanks, hive.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
stefanbatros
Journeyman III

Hi everyone,

I bought a 3970x + a Gigabyte Designare mobo. These will be used in a 4GPU setup for rendering and physics simulations.

Right now I have to chose between these 2 Ram kits, which are available and at a decent price in my country:

1. Corsair VENGEANCE®  128GB 3000MHz C16 -750$ - on mobo QVL
  2. G.Skill  TridentZ 3000MHz C14 - 981$ - not on mobo QVL, but I expect it to work.

Do you guys think that the C14 Gskill justifies the 200$ dollar difference? Will it be great improvement over the C16? I read that with the new TR processors the latency is more important than Mhz. 

I am leaning toward the Vengence more because of price +is in stock in store + it is low profile and it will fit better with the Noctua  nh-u14s tr4-sp3.

Any suggestions will ge appreciated.

Thanks,

Stefan

0 Likes

The Corsair memory should be fine, less costly and a good CL grade

0 Likes

Thanks, I just ordered the 2xCorsair 64Gb 3000Mhz cl16. Total price 560USD, I am very happy with my purchase, I was expecting to pay at least 1000$ for ram when I started this build. I hope they work but either way I got them from a company with excellent return policy.

Thanks for your suggestion,

Stefan

0 Likes

stefanbatros wrote:

Thanks, I just ordered the 2xCorsair 64Gb 3000Mhz cl16. Total price 560USD, I am very happy with my purchase, I was expecting to pay at least 1000$ for ram when I started this build. I hope they work but either way I got them from a company with excellent return policy.

Thanks for your suggestion,

Stefan

Corsair stands behind their products so you should be fine.

0 Likes