cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

rpoffen
Journeyman III

Which CPU models will have long term market availability?

At my company, we are looking to specify the requirements for a new workstation that is sold with our test equipment as the controller for the tester. Due to customer impact, we must be able to provide the same workstation for a long time (5 to 7 years).

In the Intel world, the CPU's have an attribute you can use as your selection criteria called "embedded options" which means that model will be available for a minimum of 5 to 7 years from its launch date. I cannot seem to find any similar information on the AMD processors (specifically we are interested in the ThreadRipper or EPYC processors).

Does anyone know how to tell which models are guaranteed to be available for purchase for several years?

Thanks.

0 Likes
6 Replies
neon
Miniboss

You may be interested in AMD Epyc 3000 Embedded series. Certain models have planned availability up to 10 years.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/embedded-epyc-3000-series

rpoffen, this is a user forum and most posters here do not work for AMD (I do not).  I suggest you contact AMD directly.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Thanks Neon for that info. Unfortunately, the EPYC 3000 has neither the performance (minimum 3Ghz base clock), nor PCIe lanes (minimum 64), nor cores (minimum 12) that we need.

0 Likes

I would also suggest asking at AMD Server Guru Forum which deals with the EPYC Processors. Possibly someone there or even a AMD Moderator might be able to answer your question from here: AMD Server Gurus

0 Likes

Thanks elstaci, I will check into that!

0 Likes
rpoffen
Journeyman III

Thank you misterj for your input. I have already attempted to contact them directly via a customer care support ticket, and I have heard nothing yet, hence I am reaching out anywhere I can for more information.

0 Likes