cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

clbr3800
Adept I

Which are the max temperatures for an FX 8320 3.5 GHZ

Hello, i would like to know which are the actual max temps for said processor as according to MSI afterburner my FX 8320 at 100% load is up to 83c

and a minimum of 29/35 idle, no matter if its at 1.4 GHZ or 3.5 GHZ it will eventually get 83c or near it, never above but i read on other sites that max safe temp is 62c. By the way i recently changed the thermal paste as the old one was already a rock hehe.

I have not overclocked anything, it has the preset cooler. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
techguy
Forerunner

Re: Which are the max temperatures for an FX 8320 3.5 GHZ

Unfortunately some mobo makers "process" the CPU temp data improperly and/or report an improper temp on AMD CPUs. Your FX processor has a maximum user temp of 61C measured internally. Applets like Core Temp, AIDA64 and HWiNFO tend to show fairly accurate AMD CPU temps in the 60C-70C range according to AMD Engineering. Lower temps can be quite inaccurate. Your FX-8320 will start throttling the CPU frequency at 70C. If the temp continues to climb, at ~80C the CPU will shut down completely. There is no way the CPU is likely to even be running at 83C. I'd try the other temp programs or OCCT which can record load, core temp and vcore voltage - which can be excessive on many AM3+ mobos.

clbr3800
Adept I

Thanks for the quick reply, so i stressed the CPU with OCCT and it goes all the way up to 81c max, then it starts to decrease from 3.5 GHz to 1.4 GHz till it cools down to 78c and again goes back to 3.5 GHz and so forth at full load (98-100%), what could i do to solve this?, and also will this actualy damage my CPU? taking in account that i use it for somewhat intense gaming. Sorry for asking so much but i'm really worried, i live in Venezuela and processors are really expensive so thanks again, by the way my motherboard is an ASUS M5A 78 L-M LX Plus.

Here are the pictures that OCCT recorded while testing my CPU.

0 Kudos
techguy
Forerunner

For the CPU temp to rise that fast, there is something wrong. I'd recheck the HSF installation. Did you check the vcore voltage under full load? If the voltage is excessive it can cause rapid overheating. If the CPU was not overheating before you changed the TIM then that's where the issue is most likely to be. When you say "preset cooler" do you mean the AMD cooler supplied with an AMD "Box CPU" purchase? If so it should be running at very high speed if your CPU temps are that high. I'd check your mobo BIOS or O/S settings and make sure the fan settings are 100% or high or full depending on what tem is used to run the CPU and other PC fans at maximum speed. If you used more than a grain of uncooked rice sized TIM, you may have so much TIM on the heat spreader that it's hurting the ability of the heatsink to draw heat out of the CPU heat spreader. In addition if the mobo VRM circuit is overheating, it too will throttle the CPU frequency and voltage. You can add a small fan blowing on the VRM circuit and see if it takes longer before the CPU drops in frequency. If it does then the VRM circuit could also be a problem though your CPU should not be operating any place near 70C-80C internal core temp under full load.

clbr3800
Adept I

Thanks again for your reply, in fact i read somewhere that it should be the size of a pea which is way bigger than a rice grain and that's what i applied, 1gr of thermal paste to the processor, then that may be my problem. I'll buy some new Thermal Paste and replace it to see if that helps, i'll tell you if that solves it on monday when i buy it. Yes by "preset" i mean the heatsink fan that came in the box with the FX. As of now the only way to keep the temps on a max of 62c/64c is by reducing to 1.7GHz max, as of the Vcore is at a max of 1.24v at 3.5GHz full load before it reaches 80c then it automatically goes down to 1.4GHz according to OCCT, by the way i already had a fan in front of the CPU's one, it helped just a bit so now it takes longer for temps to rise but it does eventually get too hot at 3.5GHz all this based on information taken from the OCCT software.

0 Kudos
clbr3800
Adept I

Hello, i applied the thermal paste, like you said no more than an uncooked rice grain and all i got was 2c less, from 83c max to 81c, and the motherboard at 47c max, what else would you recommend, also i read somewere else that you have to wait a week till the thermal paste takes effect, is it true?.

0 Kudos
qbtheslayer
Challenger

Not if you use something like MX-4...  clean CPU heat spreader and base of the HSF with Rubbing Alcohol and a Q-Tip/clean rag (be gentle, but make sure all the old gunk is gone).  Apply small amount as mentioned above, and carefully re-seat the HSF, making sure it is tight.  What is your case?  How many fans?  How are they configured for air-flow?  It's hot where you live, the stock HSF may not be nearly enough to cool your CPU....  What BIOS is installed on the board?  There are many reasons for a CPU to get hot...  we need far more information.

QB

clbr3800
Adept I

Thanks for your reply, i have an ASUS M5A 78 L-M LX Plus with the 1701 bios version, also a Super Power case (not gamer) i don't know the model it has space for 2 80mm fans one in front of the HSF and one on the rear, the first one is set as intake and the rear one is set to exhaust, max voltage has been 1.25v at full load, the thermal paste i used was Hutixi HT-GY260 a small amount as techguy recommended, where i live is mostly around 22c-28c on a very hot day, i did make sure that the HSF was properly installed and it did not move when i placed it back after applying the Thermal paste, also is well placed it doesn't move at all. My psu seems to be getting the right voltages too according to the BIOS and Hwmonitor too. Anything else that could be the issue?, by the way my motherboard is a 4+1 phase kind but apparently that's ok as long as you don't overclock according to what i have read.

0 Kudos
Hardwood
Paragon

I don't think I've ever seen my cpu hit 100% usage. You might be stressing it needlessly. With that being said, a case with 2 80mm fans is woefully inadequate for gaming. For comparison  my case has 7 decent 140mm fans. I would highly suggest switching to liquid cooling for the cpu and also a case that's much more suitable.

qbtheslayer
Challenger

Agreed...  Not enough airflow.  I love airflow...  I have a HAF 932 with THREE 230 mm fans.  The more air the better...  and leaving a case open, does not create airflow.

QB