cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

When will AMD support Netflix 4k playback??? I just bought RX Vega 56 and it does NOT support 4k Netflix playback. Ryzen also lacks support for it. Can it be done by an updated video bios?

I found out recently that neither Vega nor Ryzen cpus support Netflix 4k playback on PC. when will this be corrected? I have a new Vega 56 and a Ryzen 1800X.  Is there any chance that AMD can issue a new video bios that will add this support? I have a 4k Samsung monitor and I would appreciate this feature.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: When will AMD support Netflix 4k playback??? I just bought RX Vega 56 and it does NOT support 4k Netflix playback. Ryzen also lacks support for it. Can it be done by an updated video bios?

Netflix and the content creators tied the 4K DRM to Intel SGX, proprietary extensions Intel has no intention of sharing with AMD, so there's nothing AMD and nVidia can do despite having DRM compliance built into the video cards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Re: When will AMD support Netflix 4k playback??? I just bought RX Vega 56 and it does NOT support 4k Netflix playback. Ryzen also lacks support for it. Can it be done by an updated video bios?

Nvidia has the abilty to playback Netflix 4k according to sources I haave read.

Sent from Samsung tablet

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

I have been told you are NOT completely accurate. Nvidia cards do

have the proper code to run Netflix 4K playback.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

They just did with the Windows 10 FCU, but Netflix has not officially altered their requirements.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

os2wiz wrote:

I found out recently that neither Vega nor Ryzen cpus support Netflix 4k playback on PC. when will this be corrected? I have a new Vega 56 and a Ryzen 1800X. Is there any chance that AMD can issue a new video bios that will add this support? I have a 4k Samsung monitor and I would appreciate this feature.

Netflix will only alienate more users with stunts like that.

For the record, I do not use Netflix. My local cable co streams TV so no need. It works on any panel I have tried it on and that included UHD 4K.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Irrelevant. I am specifically ta liking about Netflix which uses a proprietary technology to send their 4k content.

Sent from Samsung tablet

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

I just went onto Netflix on my pc and changed settings to UHD

playback and played two movies and they both worked fine. I ma on Ryzen

1800X and Vega 56. So yes the issue is non-existent now. Prbably the the

windows 10 FCU did the trick.

0 Kudos