cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

gader320
Journeyman III

When i upgraded to a 3600 It doesn't detect my m.2

I need some help. I have a ROG B450-F Gaming and I just went from a 2200g to a 3600. When I put my 3600 in then it doesn't detect my SATA m.2 boot drive. When I switch back to my 2200g it does though. Can anyone give me any pointers? I've looked around and can't find anything really.

6 Replies

Try updating your BIOS as a newer CPU will need that.

Andy

0 Likes

My bios are on the most recent

0 Likes

I would contact the support department for the company that made your motherboard. See what advice they can offer.  I would have to think it is bios related, assuming you did update to the latest chipset driver too?

0 Likes

Your Motherboard has two M.2 sockets with Non-APU Processors.

One is for both SATA and PCIe and the other is only for PCIe. From your Motherboard's Specs:

I not sure if the Specs on this motherboard has been updated or not, but it only shows M.2 sockets for 1st and 2nd Generation AMD Processors and not 3rd Generation Processors.

I found out in the past that sometimes the M.2 SATA might also used by SATA Ports 5 or 6. Make sure in BIOS you have M.2 set for SATA. From the Notes section of your Motherboard's Specs:

Note: it is a good bet that when you replaced the 2nd generation APU with the 3rd generation Processor, Several BIOS/UEFI settings may have automatically been changed including the M.2 settings.

From your Manual concerning M.2 and SATA settings in BIOS/UEFI:

According to the Manual's BIOS setting you can have SATA 5-6 enabled but your M.2 will be at X2 speed rather than X4 speed which is probably what you need to your M.2 drive to be recognized.

NOTE: When you have the M.2 drive installed with the 3600 Processor and it is not recognized what is showing in Device Manager? Any errors or exclamation marks? What is showing in BIOS/UEFI?  Any Motherboard Trouble LED or Digital Codes showing up?

Typically they never update the original specs to read different than at launch. It is usually in the release notes for the Bios updates or a chart that shows what is added from the bios updates that shows compatibility with new generation processors. 

I know that it can be tricky depending on what sata ports you are using and if your m.2 is sata or not. In some cases depending on the drive it will eliminate on or more sata ports the odd thing here is that it works with the old processor. 

I am hoping the OP is asking the boards maker as they should be able to best assist. If they do claim compatibility with a bios update I am sure they will want to know of this issue regardless. I have in the past receive bios updates that are alpha from support departments that fix issues before they are actually posted to the public.