cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

DuyNguyen
Journeyman III

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR on new x5950

I bought a new x5950 from B&HPhoto this week. After installing it onto my system, it seems to run just fine for about 30 minutes before hitting a BSOD with:

STOPCODE: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

I'm upgrading from a 2700x on a Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 motherboard. Gigabyte's support page on the latest F52h firmware. Bios settings are set to default (no XMP, no SVM, no resizeable bar). The 2700x works perfectly fine, but the x5950 is completely unstable.

I've tried chipset drivers from AMD.com and Gigabyte.com, and both of them show the same failure. Minidump logs point to AuthenticAMD.sys as the cause. The Windows Event Logs report WHEA-LOGGER ID 18: Bus/Interconnect Error

The only solutions I've seen have been to RMA the CPU immediately. Is there anything I should do before attempting to RMA this processor?

0 Likes
5 Replies
FederaluL
Adept III

I would test the cpu on another (eventually newer) motherboard before RMA

EK watercooled 6900xt - 5900x - Lian Li XL - Samsung neo G8 - Logitech G910 - Hero G502
0 Likes

I'm not exactly keen on spending another $100+ to buy a motherboard to see if the CPU is working. That's a lot of money just to test.

0 Likes
Migz-DH
Adept II

Is your motherboard's BIOS updated?

If there's a PC repair shop near by, they might be able to test your CPU.

0 Likes
DuyNguyen
Journeyman III

It looks like it has something to do with "Core Performance Boost". It might be a coincidence, but I seem to get hours without crashing with CPB turned off.

0 Likes
laurentO
Journeyman III

I searched for a solution for days and days and finally the solution was to install the PRO version of the AMD driver instead of the standard version. It went like clockwork. These drivers are basically the same as the standard ones but are less up to date. They are heavily tested by ADM as they are intended for use by professionals

0 Likes