cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

zinc315
Journeyman III

Re: WHEA Logger Event ID 18

i had smss.exe issue aswell. using the 20.11.2 drivers instead of the 21.11.1 drivers for my gpu fixed it. 

0 Likes
uros678
Adept I

I had the same problems with the event id 18.

Applied all the latest updates for the BIOS, chipset, Graphics card. No change.

Then I did a bios factory reset. Left everything on auto, I just applied the XMP Profile. PC has been stable since.

My config:

Ryzen 3600, Mainboard Gigabyte Aorus B550M Elite, Asrock Challenger 5600xt

0 Likes
xdmathx
Journeyman III

May I ask how you fixed it because I have almost identical specs and the same issue 

0 Likes
LonePi
Journeyman III

Okay, I have pinned this forum for about 3 months now checking in on possible solutions.

I have a 5600xt GPU

Ryzen 5 3600

Tomahawk b450 max

My computer was fine for about a week and it has had all the crashes and errors you guys have had. Nothing would work for months and I have tried basically every solution. Two weeks ago I decided to open up my pc to take out my GPU and sell it to someone who actually had a working pc. While double-checking everything, I realized my CPU thermal paste was not very well done. (Never letting my friend help build a pc again lol). I re-did the paste myself and got a new, non-stock fan. 

After turning it on and giving it one more try, I have had no problems. I have played VR perfectly fine, all other games with no errors. Here is what I recommend doing:

1. Check wires and hardware connection, and if you have not already, do not use your stock CPU fan if you have ryzen. It's not that good. 

2. Turn your GPU fan up, I never let my temp go over 50 degrees

3. If you are an avid VR user and also use the Oculus rift S. First of all I am so sorry the index wasn't the first choice. Second, unplug it for a bit if you have any crashes, do not just restart and go back in that will make it worse.

RareThrumbo
Journeyman III

Update about my problem: It turned out to be a CPU problem. I RMA-ed my CPU and the new one has been working fine ever since. AMD even paid for shipping

0 Likes
Tebarius141
Journeyman III

Was following this and wanted to make a post for my case since you all have provided a lot of helpful information. I had this issue with my Ryzen 7 3700X CPU. Restarts would occur randomly and under any situation (gaming, idling, web browsing, even during booting). I could not reliably reproduce my restarts, or find any pattern, and they could occur anywhere from a few times within 5 minutes to once every few days. Every restart did produce the WHEA logger error in the Windows Event Viewer, though.

In my situation, every WHEA logger error (ID 18) that occurred from a random restart reported an error on APIC ID 12 or 13. Every error noted one of these two IDs, and only one of these two IDs. From my understanding, these IDs corresponded to two threads on a single core (core 7 in my case). I used the Ryzen Master software to turn off core 7 (actually the pair of core 3 and core 7, as it did not let me turn off a single core). It has been about a month and I have not had a random reboot since. I have begun the RMA process for my CPU, so hopefully this issue will not persist on the new one...

Hope this can help someone solve their issue, or at least rule out a possible problem.

0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Elite

Could this be related to the reported USB issues on B500 series MOBOs?

I have a screen on my G19 keyboard so I see when it messes up first. I moved it off the type A ports and the issue happened far less often but then my Steel series headset flashed before the crash. I moved all devices off the USB A ports. The issue is pretty rare now I think, but it happened today after coming back to a restarted PC and sure enough another WHEA event.

There's a Beta BIOS for the USB fix, I'm going to try it tomorrow. I can't say for sure this is my issue but the USB has been more unstable since I got my 5800X.

I thought it was Solved for a while by moving my keyboard but later more issues when I got my 6900XT, before that I was using as 780 GTX and it felt more stable.

I'll try to rember to let you know if this helps, but I saw a lot of people with 500 series boards and some with questions on USB devices so maybe it's related.

0 Likes
angeh
Adept I

my brother recently noticed that he has his pc rebooting out of nowhere with no BSOD.

and it just happend that i came to check his event viewer and it has some WHEA errors some with id 18

these are his specs:

ryzen 5600x (stock settings)

cooler master cpu cooler hyper 212 black edition

aorus elite b550m motherboard

xpg spectrix d50 2x8 set to 3200mhz on bios.

kingston 480 ssd

seagate 1tb HDD

rx 570 gigabyte gaming 4gb

xpg pylon 750w bronze psu

how to solve this?

i already did memtest86 and it came with no issues, even though i couldnt boot the program at first for some reason, i had to disable the ssd and hdd so it could go with the usb instead.

0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Elite

I tried the TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WI-FI) BIOS 2006 AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.1 Patch A, the one that should fix the USB issues. No change still getting the WHEA-Logger error.

I've also been getting Event 6008 "The previous system shutdown at 8:39:33 PM on ‎29/‎11/‎2020 was unexpected." ever since I installed my B550M with my 5800X back in November 2020, this was the original issue I noticed that I thought related to the reported USB issues because my USB devices flashed. This seems worse than the WHEA-Logger but less frequent.

I've had both these errors occur today, they don't occur every day they're pretty rare.

I've had the WHEA-Logger error occur 12 times only since I installed my RX 6900 XT on 22nd of Jan, it didn't occur before then when I had a 780 GTX installed.

I'm sure I can fix it by going back to my old card but I'd like to find out what it is about the RX 6000 series GPUs on B500 series boards?

I'll keep digging and let you know if I find a solution to the WHEA issue.

0 Likes
alpere
Elite

I can confirm that with my 5900x yet i have no blue screen error, system directly jumps to bios bootup sequence.

0 Likes