cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

fyrel
Miniboss

Re: WHEA Logger Event ID 18

If you could upload the most recent I could have a look at it.

If you want to try having a look yourself they can be opened with WinDbg preview.

You can download that with the developer SDK or through windows store (it's free)

0 Likes
accn
Elite

here it is and thank you

0 Likes
fyrel
Miniboss

The program that caused the issue in that dmp file was smss.exe.

Component that reported the WHEA error was the CPU.

The smss .exe file is a software component of Microsoft Session Manager Subsystem by Microsoft.
"smss.exe" is a file that manages the startup of all user sessions in Windows. The operating system's main thread activates the file. "smss.exe" launches processes such as Win32 and WinLogin. It also sets the system variables, followed by shutting down the system once those 2 files are ended. If for some reason, those 2 files do not end; "smss.exe" causes the system to hang.

This isn't something you can disable, windows won't run without it?

Are all the processor APIC ID numbers listed in the event viewer all 11?

accn
Elite

I just checked the oldest minidump dated June and it lists the same process. Windows won't work without Session Manager Subsystem. The event log contains two errors in a row, the first contains processor APIC ID 11, the second contains processor APIC ID 0. It seems to me that the gpu driver initiates this error, since it doesn't happen on a very old driver, or on another gpu. Or it could be a gpu hardware malfunction, which began to manifest itself in newer drivers, since most users do not experience this problem. I played valorant for about an hour before the last crash. I got a message on Steam and tried to minimize the game to my desktop, after which my pc rebooted. Crashes often occur during alt + tab from fullscreen game to the desktop 

0 Likes
sniperzee
Adept II

fyrel wrote:

The program that caused the issue in that dmp file was smss.exe.

Component that reported the WHEA error was the CPU.

The smss .exe file is a software component of Microsoft Session Manager Subsystem by Microsoft.
"smss.exe" is a file that manages the startup of all user sessions in Windows. The operating system's main thread activates the file. "smss.exe" launches processes such as Win32 and WinLogin. It also sets the system variables, followed by shutting down the system once those 2 files are ended. If for some reason, those 2 files do not end; "smss.exe" causes the system to hang.

This isn't something you can disable, windows won't run without it?

Are all the processor APIC ID numbers listed in the event viewer all 11?

Hi Fyrel,

If it is not too much to ask, could you please have a look at the below link or the attached file:

WHEA Error - Google Drive 

0 Likes
sniperzee
Adept II

accn wrote:

I met several threads on reddit with the same error. Most users had rx5700 or 5700xt. This issue cannot be memory related. I have tested my memory many times in stock, xmp and overclocking and all tests show 0 errors. Regardless, I bought new RAM on micron e-die, and crashes happen with the same frequency. 

Hi Accn,

True, most of the people having this issue has Ryzen CPU and Radeon GPU. I am quite confused and cant say for sure what exactly the issue is. If it was a driver issue, then everyone with this graphic card and the latest driver would have had the issue. If everyone was having the issue, either there would have been a new driver or AMD would have discontinued this product. It can be a CPU issue as well or even a motherboard issue as I have seen many threads where the user had Ryzen CPU and Nvidea graphic card.

0 Likes
sniperzee
Adept II

pokester wrote:

I will add that a lion share of the time that I have had problems that make a machine restart it comes back to memory issues. It is however very hard to say without some testing. 

Also if you have not already. Boot with one stick of ram at a time and see if one is stable vs the other. 

Hi Pokester,

Sorry for the late reply.

I have been testing and hence was waiting to see if things work and then reply. Tried with one stick and didn't work. Changed the PCIe slot of the GPU and still nothing changed. Removed GPU driver and ran PC with clean boot up and the restart stopped. Then activated other drivers and used PC without playing games and PC did not restart. I have found a way to trigger the issue. It actually happens while loading a graphics demanding application. It can be games or anything else that requires the use of GPU to higher level. However, the issue does not take place while playing games. If it happens, it will happen during loading. It either happens when I start any game or if I go to a different scent while playing the game. Thus I narrowed down the issue to loading. Also, I never turned the XMP and PBO on to begin with.

Now, I have contacted the retailer and trying to push them to change it with another card. Not sure if that will work as lots of people are having the same issue with Ryzen processor and Nvidea cards too.

0 Likes
fyrel
Miniboss

sniperzee accn‌ 

Unfortunately the WHEA dumps don't  contain enough information on what caused the crash.

It's quite common with 0x124 errors I believe.

I would like you both to run verifier and then upload the minidmp produced when you next blue screen.

The full instructions are in the link below, please make sure you understand how to turn verifier off.

Verifier is a diagnostic tool designed to stress test your computers drivers till they break.

Hopefully doing so in a way that produces useable data.

Leave verifier running for up to 48 hours or until your first blue screen then turn it off.

Your system may feel a bit sluggish while it's running.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5470-enable-disable-driver-verifier-windows-10-a.html 

accn
Elite

Perhaps the problem lies in the combination of some hardware, which works correctly separately, but is poorly compatible with each other

accn
Elite

Done. I will report the result below. And thanks again for your participation. 

p.s. by the way, I noticed a strange pattern a long time ago. My system crashes in a similar way during the timespy extreme cpu test. It happens regardless of the settings and overclocking of cpu and ram. Sometimes the system crashes within a few seconds of the test, and it very rarely goes to the end. But when I run this test separately from the rest of the benchmark, it can run for hours in a loop. Graphic stress test always passes without problems with 99% + framerate stability

update: 

My rebooted twice without blue screen, when i tried to launch amd settings from desktop. After which I disabled the driver-verifier, and decided to run logitech gaming software, and then BSOD happened

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

windbg refers to the HIDCLASS.SYS driver

0 Likes