cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Re: WHEA Logger Event ID 18

yeah It seems to occur a lot with 3600mhz memory but my memory is on the QVL list, I'm not lowering the speed to get it to work, I'm going to replace something. However I'm having a lot of trouble reproducing it after the last Beta BIOS update.

0 Likes
liquidwater
Adept II

I have Micron e die and when I did men Test Pro back when I bought the ram, it was perfectly fine with no failures. And I have it running at 3600.

I also use the new beta bios 3801 (Asus x570 tuf) which was good for maybe about 2 days, but it still led to eventual consistent restarting with event ID 18 errors.

I am on a 2080 which I had used on my old build with no errors. Errors populated with the new amd processor. 

0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

@liquidwater it's not an issue with the memory it's running at that frequency increases the chance of CPU instability.

BIOS 3801 for your board is AGESA 1.2.0.2, that I feel made things worse than the previous one for me. I'm now on AGESA 1.2.0.3 been running the PC non-stop for 4 days so far. Not at all long enough to declare fixed, I've sometimes gone weeks or months without being able to replicate. It also occurred with my old Nvidia card, although I didn't get WHEA errors I got different ones. Check for Event ID 6008 you'll always get that plus a bunch of other errors. The last WHEA error I got with my 6900xt was a month ago but I've had many crashes since then.

Check out https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-agesa-combo-pi-v2-1-2-is-coming-for-msi-500-series-and-400-ser... by the looks of it, I'd say AMD are aware of the issue and trying to fix it with a BIOS update. I would guess though there's some CPUs no BIOS update would help and how long can you keep waiting and trying the next one.

I wish I had a little more info on the issue from AMD or some AGESA release notes. Just so I know if my CPU is a lost cause or should I wait for a BIOS, and how to test it quicker.

craxton
Adept II

Im unsure who all has responded to me, and unsure who all has actually took a moment to even read what was said.
if your chip on STOCK settings has WHEA 18 crashes then you SHOULD RMA that chip, but IF your crashing while having a 200mhz AUTO OC under PBO then thats normal and not a "guarantee" that youll hit those frequency ranges with your chip.

personally, figured out i have one core causing all my stress, which is my WORST core in the 5600x system i have. 

can run all cores with -30 co +50mv offset fine, but no core cycler passings of most cores 3 pass, 3 fail. 

dialing down to -20 with the same offset only 1 fails. which is what CTR, and the (test) inside core cycler states are my worst cores, to which needs a positive offset.... anyhow RUN A POSITIVE .02xx offset to core voltage without turning off CPPC-DF CSTATES etc.

the processor needs these to "idle" otherwise its constantly in power mode using more and more voltage than it should. telling people to turn off these things, isnt the best idea. DF states sure, but on most boards theyre inside the same name however are different. CPPC preferred cores LEAVE IT ON!!!

turn off any auto overboost, turn off XFR ENHANCE (forget what board has it) and set a positive offset to voltage (50mv is .0500v) so dont set .50 thats WAY to much lol) also, dont use curve settings for 5000 series chips as if your crashing while PBO is on, then this is why. (it can also be your IOD, CCD voltages, and CLDO VDDP, CPU VDDP voltages causing random crashings. with newest AGESA code, CPU VDDP should be automatically set to .900 which can be seen inside ryzen master granted you have the proper setting turned on to view it wont be able to change it inside ryzen master, and MSI boards you can change CPU_VDDP period!!! (other boards sure can) but leave it at 900mv its best set there. 

now, for those crashing before getting into windows, i do believe an RMA is what you should do. as thats not something voltage should be thrown at. granted you havent ran an ALL-CORE overclock for a year now at 1.45V and are now getting these crashes. WHEA-18 is voltage/CPU crashing, the ACPI number should tell what core is crashing to be frank about it. WHEA-19 is related 80% to ram overclock settings running you FCLK to high or unstable timings or IOD, CCD, etc being off by some margin. 
again, its been confirmed by LOADS of people (who know whats coded inside the AGESA code etc) people somewhat like URI (1usmus) stating whea 18 is core-voltage related.  give that mv offset a shot, turning off any auto boost settings, leaving pbo on motherboard, setting 2x scaler for good margin and see what you get. LEAVE CPPC-PREFERRED CORES on! im sure you dont want your chip running constantly and not entering power-down mode? especially when your simply using chrome, the other cores will stay active instead....

Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

@craxton I've been running mine at stock settings, however stock has PBO set to auto, but from what I read when PBO is set to auto then it's controlled by Ryzen Master and if it's not overclocked in Ryzen Master then it's off. I've never installed Ryzen Master so I assume it's off, would that be correct?

My Processor APIC ID is mostly 0 but also several other random ones.

I haven't had WHEA errors since May, pretty much running the PC constantly testing at idle for the most part which was when I was experiencing the issues. I also get event 6008 Windows didn't shutdown correctly and Event 41 Kernel Power, system stopped responding, crashed or lost power unexpectedly.

While I haven't been getting WHEA errors for a while, I've been still getting event 6008 and event 41 crashes. However I've not been able to reproduce even these since AGESA 1.2.0.3a, I hope it stays that way.

You seem to know your way around the event logs and what they mean is there anything I should be looking for?

0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Crashed again after 7 days

Time to test the CPU in another machine.

0 Likes
liquidwater
Adept II

So far so good after my CPU RMA! Only had it for a few days, but not a single random restart yet.

Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

@liquidwater still too early to tell but I've been on a new 5800X for just over 4 days no issues. This one was made in Malaysia not China.

I've got a good feeling about it by the way it loads the cores but I think I'd need to leave it on for a couple of weeks straight before I come close to calling it solved.

uros678
Adept I

Just an update on my situation. I received a new Graphics Card and now everything is running ok. I can even run the XMP Profile for the RAM and Game OC on the CPU with no issue. The ID 18 Events are gone, no more restarts. System is stable.

So in my case it came down to a faulty GPU.

Kind regards,

Uros

Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

My issue ended up returning, It was rock solid for a couple of months now the issue has occurred 3 times. I don't know why it suddenly becamse unstable.

I had the issue before the GFX card.

I'm just putting it down to platform instability.

0 Likes