Processors

sniperzee
Adept II

WHEA Logger Event ID 18

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: Radeon RX 5700XT

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Motherboard: MSI B450 A Pro Max

RAM: GSkill Ripjaws 8GB X2 (16GB in total)

PSU: Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W

Case: Midtower with 1 stock fan

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19041

GPU Drivers: Radeon Software (Adrenaline) 20.4.2

Chipset Drivers: AMD Chipset Software 2.5.4.352

Hard Disk: SSD - Crucial 1TB M2 Nvme

Background Applications: Happens irrespective of what applications running

Description of Original Problem: My newly built PC keeps on restarting randomly. Sometimes, it will run for 6-10 hours without any issue. Then other times it will simply restart when I open an application (browser, tabs, etc.) or games and sometimes it just restarts at its will. Every time it restarts, the event logger logs the below errror:

"A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core Error Source: Machine Check Exception Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error Processor APIC ID: 11

The details view of this entry contains further information."

Troubleshooting: I have updated all the drivers. Deleted and reinstalled and updated all the drivers. Checked if the CPU fan is properly attached to the CPU, if GPU is properly attached, if RAMs are properly attached, and everything else. All of them seem perfectly fitted. Used various software to test CPU, GPU, RAM, etc. All came back with good results. Did memory test and DISM test. Both were successful without any error.

245 Replies
ae1
Journeyman III

I know I am very late to this thread, but the same thing happened to me and what fixed it for me was upping RAM voltage. The stock 1.35v was not enough at XMP/DOCP. I upped it to 1.4v and it ran flawlessly after that. 

0 Likes

Hey Guys, got the WHEA 18 jackpot on my 5800x, configs below:

- 5800x Stock
- Asus X570 TUF
- 32GBN DDR4 3200 (Using XMP profile)
- RTX 3080

The issue for me started the say i added a fan Y Splitter on my case to plug in 2x 3 Pin non PWM Be Quiet! fans. I was using the splitter on the Chassi #2 connector on my board.

After reading some of the possible causes i stumbled upon a topic of a user that troubleshooted a bad fan connector that was causing WHEA 18 with the Cache Hierarchy Error message, difference was he was using it on a 3700x and not a 5800x. The it hit me this could be the cause, since the timeframe of this happening lines up perfectly with me installing both fans using this Y-Spliiter...

Well **bleep**... no more reboots, has only been about 6 hours, but i could replicate the issue by running a stress test then idling the computer for about 20 mins for it to simply reboot, no BSOD, no minidump logs... the same old reboots.

This is literally the last troubleshoot i can do, ´l ll update in here if it happens again, and if it does my last resort is RMA, which i really don´t feel like it, since i can´t go a whole week or god knows how long it will take for the chip to be replaced, i need this computer and i have no other chip to placehold while they send me another one.

0 Likes

It happened again, RMA it is. Over 10 years without using AMD just to be kicked in the face when i decide to go to the red side.

0 Likes

Friends,

I have been following the anguish of friends and it really seems strange even what happens to you.

I am currently setting up my subscription and am not experiencing any problems. I did a CPU Upgrade and a VGA Downgrade.
Before, it was this configuration that worked stably.

[AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | XPG LIFT 240 | MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7C91) - 7C91v163 | 32GB DDR4 3600MHz XPG SPECTRIX | EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1650 SUPER 4GB | XPG CORE REACTOR 850W | SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB]

Now I have this signature, also working steadily.

[AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Corsair Hydro H115i | MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7C91) - 7C91v15 | 32GB DDR4 3600MHz ADATA | ASUS ROG-STRIX-RTX3070-8G-GAMING | XPG CORE REACTOR 850W | SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB]

[ AMD Ryzen 7 5700X (step B2) | CM MASTERLIQUID PL360 FLUX | MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI - 7C91v1D | 32GB DDR4 3600MHz XPG SPECTRIX | ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 3060 OC Ed 12GB GDDR6 ]
0 Likes

@dskhury interesting, I have 2 y splitters on a tuf b550m and a 5800x. I fixed mine by setting power supply typical idle control to typical, however that might not fix it for everyone.

How did you go with the trouboeshooting I posted above?

0 Likes

@Cmdr-ZiN So, i THINK now it´s fixed for me. I had it set up to typical before, but now i lowered my memories to 3200 and PC is on  for 2 days without a reboot so far.

My memories are rated for 3600mhz, but at that speed it seems to cause the error. Now down to 3200mhz it seems to be gone with the issue.

I already opened the RMA for it, but if the reboots never happen again i´ll just leave my memories to 3200mhz, not like i´ m missing much im performance by doing so. Maybe future AGESA updates will fix this.

@dskhury good luck. If your memory is on your motherboards QVL list then it should work with DOCP IMHO.

I have 2x 32GB sticks running at 3600Mhz default DOCP settings you should be able to get it to work. I tried disabling DOCP before, it didn't make any difference for me, it still crashed but it might help for you.

0 Likes

@Cmdr-ZiN No reboots yet, i think i´ll just leave this as "fixed" even tho i have to run memories below what they are rated.

Mine just crashed again yesterday, Typical idle control solved it for a while, yesterday was very cold I don't know if that was a factor but I hadn't left it on idle for a while either since the initial week troubleshooting.

Looks like RMA is likely for me too, I've contacted AMD again, to see if they think it's the CPU.

0 Likes
accn
Elite

Yesterday I changed the motherboard and cpu, the memory was replaced a month ago, I still get WHEA Logger Event ID 18, I have no doubt that the error is due to the RX 5700.

daya_papaya
Adept I

Hi,

since this is the most similar problem to mine I'll share my endeavors. I have RX 5700; ryzen 3600 and msi B450 tomahawk max. Pretty sure it's a hardware problem caused by the manufacturer but it's triggered by software and from what I've read it's most likely radeon 5700 series as a whole that's causing this.

My blackscreens started randomly while playing total war game and they are pretty much always triggered while loading a game or almost right after getting into game. I'm writing down when does this happen but the exact reason is still unclear to me.

After this problem appeared while using Blender software I tested my RAM with memtest86 (and no problem found) the issue disappeared for 3 days.

Then I started playing cyberpunk 2077 and after 4 hours or so of playing my PC crashed while alt-tabbing for discord and then my pc started crashing every time while loading or few second after getting into the game.

With no other idea I reinstalled windows and set PCIE to gen 3 in BIOS (advice from here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cf111o/fixes_propably_a_lot_of_issues_with_rx_5700_rx/ ). PC stopped crashing in userbenchmark test (precisely while it did the GPU score on sphere test, which is the most consistent crash for me) and I didn't encounter it until today while playing cyberpunk (problem free for about 3 days).

The only thing I changed from day before was installing eset antivirus in the morning but the crash occurred mid game after about 4 hours of play. Tried updating the chipset driver - nothing. Uninstalled the antivirus - nothing. Reinstalled the chipset driver to previous version - nothing. Reinstalled graphics drivers - nothing.

So now I'm stuck in hell again. Hope this helps someone to resolve this issue permanently.

0 Likes

I'm having the same issue for months, I've tried everything! I don't even know what component is faulty.

CPU: 3600X

GPU: 5700XT

MOBO: x570 i aorus pro wifi

It only happens during gaming. Never happened on idle. I have tried a lot of different stress tests but I was able to reproduce the error only once in OCCT VRAM test even though I tried at least 20-30 times.

0 Likes

@mbrain0 wrote:

I'm having the same issue for months, I've tried everything! I don't even know what component is faulty.

CPU: 3600X

GPU: 5700XT

MOBO: x570 i aorus pro wifi

It only happens during gaming. Never happened on idle. I have tried a lot of different stress tests but I was able to reproduce the error only once in OCCT VRAM test even though I tried at least 20-30 times.

You all should make sure you are reporting this to your motherboard makers and AMD:

You can contact AMD support here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Good Luck!

0 Likes

I have been encountering the same problem on and off for a month. Fairly regular black screen crashes/immediate reboots, event viewer displaying events 18 and 41. Occurs even under light load, most commonly when viewing media (even a YouTube video)

GPU: Sapphire RX5700XT 

CPU: RYZEN 5 3600 6-core 

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4

RAM: 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-3200 Mhz

PSU: EVGA BQ 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular

I've tried some of the potential solutions posted in this thread, like disabling PBO, but no success yet. Are we any closer to figuring out what the problem is? Some people are advising me to replace my CPU; others say I should replace my motherboard; and still others say I need a new GPU. So I don't know how to proceed

Here's a typical error message for me: 

Event ID 18

A fatal hardware error has occurred

Reported by component: Processor Core

Error Source: Machine Check Exception

Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error

Processor APIC ID: 9

0 Likes

"Are we any closer to figuring out what the problem is?"

Answer:

1.Bad silicon quality + 2.overheat + 3.agesa buggy = whea_uncorrectable_error.

1.RMA CPU.

2.Change cooling to liquid.

3.Update agesa.

--

nothing else can be done

--

that's it.

In my case I don't think overheating is the issue - my CPU is hotter than it should be, but it still crashes at like 60 degrees C.

Do you think RMAing the CPU will work? I guess it's a question of if this particular CPU is defective or if I'd have similar problems with a replacement. Would switching to a different model, like a Ryzen 2600, be more likely to work? AMD is slow to reply to my RMA request over the holidays

0 Likes

Hello all, 

I am having the same problem as will with my new build instant reboot when installing anything even chrome. Here is my build. 

Mobo: Asus crosshair Dark Hero. 

CPU: 5900X

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 F4-3800C16Q-32GTZN

GPU: Strix RTX 3090 

PSU: Asus thor 1200

I was lucky enough to get everything at retail. what I have done

replaced the Memory got better for a few minutes then happened again. 

replaced the Memory + ssd and fresh windows install same result. 

replaced the GPU same thing. 

tried every memory stick and slot/config.  

checked my cables are well contacted no luck.

next step will be PSU. 

sadly my old build is an intel based cannot swap the mobo or CPU contacnted the people I know they do not have a an AMD config I can borrow. I am almost certain it is the CPU. at this point I am really glad it is not the GPU. the rest will easier to replace. I just want to pin point the problem....

0 Likes

update on my case, I tried everything in this post, and gave up and swapped the CPU runs well. RMAing the CPU. seeing this is an issue with different SKUs. its either a 7nm problem or quality control. 

0 Likes

@daya_papaya wrote:

Hi,

since this is the most similar problem to mine I'll share my endeavors. I have RX 5700; ryzen 3600 and msi B450 tomahawk max. Pretty sure it's a hardware problem caused by the manufacturer but it's triggered by software and from what I've read it's most likely radeon 5700 series as a whole that's causing this.

My blackscreens started randomly while playing total war game and they are pretty much always triggered while loading a game or almost right after getting into game. I'm writing down when does this happen but the exact reason is still unclear to me.

After this problem appeared while using Blender software I tested my RAM with memtest86 (and no problem found) the issue disappeared for 3 days.

Then I started playing cyberpunk 2077 and after 4 hours or so of playing my PC crashed while alt-tabbing for discord and then my pc started crashing every time while loading or few second after getting into the game.

With no other idea I reinstalled windows and set PCIE to gen 3 in BIOS (advice from here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cf111o/fixes_propably_a_lot_of_issues_with_rx_5700_rx/ ). PC stopped crashing in userbenchmark test (precisely while it did the GPU score on sphere test, which is the most consistent crash for me) and I didn't encounter it until today while playing cyberpunk (problem free for about 3 days).

The only thing I changed from day before was installing eset antivirus in the morning but the crash occurred mid game after about 4 hours of play. Tried updating the chipset driver - nothing. Uninstalled the antivirus - nothing. Reinstalled the chipset driver to previous version - nothing. Reinstalled graphics drivers - nothing.

So now I'm stuck in hell again. Hope this helps someone to resolve this issue permanently.

You might try going back a bios or two if you are on the latest. The latest bios caused the WHEA errors on my 3700x but the older bios does not. 

0 Likes
snodemon540
Journeyman III

A friend of mine was having this problem with his PC he had recently build (CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X, Graphics: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming X, MOBO: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus) After a few hours of troubleshooting, I stumbled across a solution that worked with his setup. The source for our solution is here

Symptoms observed: PC would crash while playing games. Noticed the screen flickering before the system crashed. Windows Event Viewer logs indicated WHEA Logger Event ID 18.

Solutions we tried: installed numerous driver versions between SEP2020 and JAN2021. Updated BIOS on MOBO to the latest version as of writing this. Attempted underclocking GPU in Radeon software. Stress tested with numerous system, and graphics tools and still observed crashes and WHEA with Event ID 18 in Event Viewer.

The solution that worked for us: Uninstalled MSI afterburner. I am not even sure why he had installed it in the first place, because there were no profiles set, and he stated that he had never used it. It may sound dumb, and may not work for everyone, but it did fix his problem.

After uninstalling MSI afterburner, and rebooting the problem seems to have completely gone away. Some people have stated that closing the MSI Afterburner interface could help, but we hadn't launched it, and the uninstall seems to have done the trick. We are now on the latest driver ( 20.12.1 ) as of writing this with zero issues for the past several days. Hopefully, this helps someone else who is having a similar issue.

0 Likes
dertyt
Journeyman III

0 Likes
zinc315
Journeyman III

i had smss.exe issue aswell. using the 20.11.2 drivers instead of the 21.11.1 drivers for my gpu fixed it. 

0 Likes

I had the same problems with the event id 18.

Applied all the latest updates for the BIOS, chipset, Graphics card. No change.

Then I did a bios factory reset. Left everything on auto, I just applied the XMP Profile. PC has been stable since.

My config:

Ryzen 3600, Mainboard Gigabyte Aorus B550M Elite, Asrock Challenger 5600xt

0 Likes

May I ask how you fixed it because I have almost identical specs and the same issue 

0 Likes

Hey all,

update on my situation. The restarts came back as one would expect.

Now after trying almost everything that others have posted here in regards to BIOS settings and whatnot, I swapped out my graphics card and the system has been stable. Usually I would always get horizontal lines flashing in MSFS2020 and after some time computer would restart. Now the system is stable, no lines, no restarts. I even put the processor in OC auto mode (Game mode or how is it called in Ryzen Master) and I even could apply the XMP Profile on the RAM modules. Rock solid.

So, I'm gonna RMA my Graphics Card (5600XT) and see how that goes.

Friend,

I had this problem from December to February with an RX5700XT. She was the one with cashing BSODs and the WHEA Looger Event ID 18.

I put an nVidia here and everything went back to normal. As I was afraid of happening again, I stopped with AMD. I saw some users having the same problem with RDNA2 VGAs.

How great that you identified the problem.
And honestly? I think that's most of the problems here. The problem is on the VGA. Be it AMD or nVIDIA.

I recommend carrying out the RMA, if you've considered anything but VGA.

[ AMD Ryzen 7 5700X (step B2) | CM MASTERLIQUID PL360 FLUX | MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI - 7C91v1D | 32GB DDR4 3600MHz XPG SPECTRIX | ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 3060 OC Ed 12GB GDDR6 ]
0 Likes

@artur_aragao - How long you're using the Nvidia GPU after you made the exchange? Because the WHEA errors can take up to a month to appear, so, if the new Nvidia inside your system is just dare a week or less, there's no guarantee that the problem is gone. Either way, I've tested 4 different systems with the same CPU and faced the WHEA issue, so no, the GPU is probably not the cause. Whea errors are related to CPU core/voltage relation.

0 Likes

I tried every possible BIOS setting there is regarding power, core settings, C-States, RAM power, CPB, infinity fabric, etc..I also debugged watchdog dump files (sometimes Windows made one) and every time it was atikmdag.sys that triggered the kernel error.

I found a BIOS setting that stopped the WHEA Cache Hierarchy errors, but instead logged Bus/Interconnect error.

I think that these WHEA errors are not always CPU related. Yeah sure, I could be wrong and it's not the graphics card, but given the fact that my problem were semi-easy reproducible with MSFS 2020 and other games, the info in the dump and event logs, the lines on the monitor and since I have none of those Problems with the new card in an XMP, Game Mode CPU scenario, I will start with the card first. Everything I have is still under warranty so it doesn't matter where I start. And because I'm lazy, I'll go with the card, since is less work to replace.

I made an RMA today and the seller is going to ship out a new card to me. Let’s see how it goes.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Kind regards,

Uros

0 Likes

4 months, two different nVidia VGAs.
First an RTX 3070. I sold it and bought the subscription CPU and VGA.

Working perfectly.

The day before yesterday, the BSOD that occurred here was only when I updated the Intel connectivity drivers (Bluetooth and WiFi) just to solve a BSOD problem that was reported in the previous drivers, and that never occurred to me. The error itself has no connection with WHEA 18.

0 Likes

Everything was ok for the two last Months and since last Windows update today, hundreds of WHEA Logger Event ID 19!!!

Tired of this BS!

0 Likes

@FastmikefreeThis is about Event ID 18..
If it's event 19 as you said, it's a whole different matter.

0 Likes

Just an update, nearly a month after adjusting my memories downs to 3200mhz and still no more reboots. 

0 Likes

yeah It seems to occur a lot with 3600mhz memory but my memory is on the QVL list, I'm not lowering the speed to get it to work, I'm going to replace something. However I'm having a lot of trouble reproducing it after the last Beta BIOS update.

0 Likes

I have Micron e die and when I did men Test Pro back when I bought the ram, it was perfectly fine with no failures. And I have it running at 3600.

I also use the new beta bios 3801 (Asus x570 tuf) which was good for maybe about 2 days, but it still led to eventual consistent restarting with event ID 18 errors.

I am on a 2080 which I had used on my old build with no errors. Errors populated with the new amd processor. 

0 Likes

@liquidwater it's not an issue with the memory it's running at that frequency increases the chance of CPU instability.

BIOS 3801 for your board is AGESA 1.2.0.2, that I feel made things worse than the previous one for me. I'm now on AGESA 1.2.0.3 been running the PC non-stop for 4 days so far. Not at all long enough to declare fixed, I've sometimes gone weeks or months without being able to replicate. It also occurred with my old Nvidia card, although I didn't get WHEA errors I got different ones. Check for Event ID 6008 you'll always get that plus a bunch of other errors. The last WHEA error I got with my 6900xt was a month ago but I've had many crashes since then.

Check out https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-agesa-combo-pi-v2-1-2-is-coming-for-msi-500-series-and-400-ser... by the looks of it, I'd say AMD are aware of the issue and trying to fix it with a BIOS update. I would guess though there's some CPUs no BIOS update would help and how long can you keep waiting and trying the next one.

I wish I had a little more info on the issue from AMD or some AGESA release notes. Just so I know if my CPU is a lost cause or should I wait for a BIOS, and how to test it quicker.

Just an update on my situation. I received a new Graphics Card and now everything is running ok. I can even run the XMP Profile for the RAM and Game OC on the CPU with no issue. The ID 18 Events are gone, no more restarts. System is stable.

So in my case it came down to a faulty GPU.

Kind regards,

Uros

My issue ended up returning, It was rock solid for a couple of months now the issue has occurred 3 times. I don't know why it suddenly becamse unstable.

I had the issue before the GFX card.

I'm just putting it down to platform instability.

0 Likes
LonePi
Journeyman III

Okay, I have pinned this forum for about 3 months now checking in on possible solutions.

I have a 5600xt GPU

Ryzen 5 3600

Tomahawk b450 max

My computer was fine for about a week and it has had all the crashes and errors you guys have had. Nothing would work for months and I have tried basically every solution. Two weeks ago I decided to open up my pc to take out my GPU and sell it to someone who actually had a working pc. While double-checking everything, I realized my CPU thermal paste was not very well done. (Never letting my friend help build a pc again lol). I re-did the paste myself and got a new, non-stock fan. 

After turning it on and giving it one more try, I have had no problems. I have played VR perfectly fine, all other games with no errors. Here is what I recommend doing:

1. Check wires and hardware connection, and if you have not already, do not use your stock CPU fan if you have ryzen. It's not that good. 

2. Turn your GPU fan up, I never let my temp go over 50 degrees

3. If you are an avid VR user and also use the Oculus rift S. First of all I am so sorry the index wasn't the first choice. Second, unplug it for a bit if you have any crashes, do not just restart and go back in that will make it worse.

Update about my problem: It turned out to be a CPU problem. I RMA-ed my CPU and the new one has been working fine ever since. AMD even paid for shipping

0 Likes

Was following this and wanted to make a post for my case since you all have provided a lot of helpful information. I had this issue with my Ryzen 7 3700X CPU. Restarts would occur randomly and under any situation (gaming, idling, web browsing, even during booting). I could not reliably reproduce my restarts, or find any pattern, and they could occur anywhere from a few times within 5 minutes to once every few days. Every restart did produce the WHEA logger error in the Windows Event Viewer, though.

In my situation, every WHEA logger error (ID 18) that occurred from a random restart reported an error on APIC ID 12 or 13. Every error noted one of these two IDs, and only one of these two IDs. From my understanding, these IDs corresponded to two threads on a single core (core 7 in my case). I used the Ryzen Master software to turn off core 7 (actually the pair of core 3 and core 7, as it did not let me turn off a single core). It has been about a month and I have not had a random reboot since. I have begun the RMA process for my CPU, so hopefully this issue will not persist on the new one...

Hope this can help someone solve their issue, or at least rule out a possible problem.

0 Likes