cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

Re: WHEA Logger Event ID 18

@Electric_Squall I'm sorry you don't like facts being pointed out. I'm not defending anyone just pointing out facts.

You need a large sample size to take the figures from, individual reports don't tell you how big the problem is. If the problem is that large it will be in the news soon enough and I'd love to read that article.

It doesn't matter if this is Intel, AMD or Nvidia I'd treat it exactly the same. I'm actually an Intel fan BTW I just don't think their current products are competitive.

Random forum reports don't really give you valid data to make assumptions on.

0 Likes
shockblade
Adept I

Just an update.

Since I set my PSU to Typical Idle in the bios, I've only had one reboot. After that I did a DDU of my video drivers and updated them to the latest ones.

Since then, I've still had some stuttering in games (Doom:Eternal / Resident Evil and screen tearing on my desktop occasionally, but no flat out crashes/reboots. I was able to replicate one crash using the app 'Wallpaper Engine', every time It was running, within 20 minutes to an hour, it would reboot, without fail, so I simply stopped using it.

HOWEVER.

Something I did not even think of until a friend pointed it out to me today, was my refresh rate. I have two monitors, and they were both running at 120hz, I thought nothing of it, but then I thought I should do some testing.
I set them both back to 60hz, and ran Wallpaper Engine again, and also ran Doom Eternal and Resident Evil Village on ultra for 30+ minutes, actually playing and stressing my system, and now I have no lag, no stuttering at all, and I have been crash free for almost 9 hours, with all my desktop screen tearing also gone. (I am running both games in 144hz since my monitors support it)

If anything else comes up I'll post a reply, but if you don't hear from me, it should be smooth sailing. With any luck, it might help someone else here.

Thanks again for all the help from the people posting here, I hope whatever ails you can be fixed.

My System Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X with Wraith Prism
ASUS Prime X570-P CSM Motherboard
Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming OC 8GB
G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz CL18 DDR4
Corsair RM750 Gold 750W Power Supply
Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 500GB
Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM008 3.5in Hard Drive

0 Likes
kebrus
Journeyman III

Hello everyone, I've been having this issue since 6 months ago when I got my 5800X. Last month I finally went through RMA process and got a new CPU. To give you an idea, the previous one would easily crash in certain games 100% of the time within 30 mins and others were a mix bag, sometimes they would hold for 2, sometimes 4, and sometimes not crash at all. Now with the new CPU i STILL get crashes, albeit WAY less frequent, now only the previous cases of 100% change of crashing actually do crash but it happens randomly, it can take 4 or even 8 hours when it does happen. Way better but not perfect. And this is regardless of what BIOS version I have.

I doubt this is a rare issue, in fact, when I first got it months ago and searched for help in some tech discord servers I wasn't the only one with the exact same issue within 10 mins of reporting the issue. If this was rare I wouldn't get the same issue twice in a row, and quick searches reveal some people actually going through RMA 2 or 3 times until they get something stable.

It doesn't seem to be any specific hardware combination either since everyone has different setups and still get the error anyway. AMD clearly made a mistake here, and I don't understand why people aren't holding AMD accountable for this. This was the first and the last time I buy and AMD CPU, I'd rather spend more money on a CPU with equivalent specs than dealing with this issue ever again. Specially considering than after so many months AMD still didn't managed to fix it.

0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

@shockblade Google 'windows 10 dual monitor stutter' this might be your issue, sounds similar. I also have dual monitors at 144hz, I think I just did this Windows patch when I did the last BIOS update, wasn't paying close attention to the patch number. Anyway see https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-finally-fixes...

@kebrus I might feel similar to you if I got 2 CPU's both causing the same issue. How can you be so sure it's the CPU though? It could be anything.

If it was that big an issue there's no way it wouldn't be news. I am keeping an eye out for news though. There was a tweet from a PC builder reporting 6% failure rate which was quite high, but they deleted the tweet after AMD investigated, maybe they found the cause or it was too small a sample size, I wish I knew the conclusion.

It could even be a software issue like above. It's annoying being so intermittent otherwise I'd already of solved it. If I was sure it was the CPU I'd already of replaced it until it was solved or replaced the whole system. It's also annoying the issue is so generic, all sorts of issues have been causing these errors long before the 5800x was released. I'm pretty sure I did Windows updates and driver changes the day I built my 5800x system but it first occurred on that day. So for me it's one of those things I did on that day, but for someone else it might be a different issue.

It would be nice and easy if it was a known big issue like the MS patch and we were all affected by it, or a proccessor recall whatever, but I think it's probably lots of different annoying intermittent issues.

0 Likes
liquidwater
Adept II

Where are you seeing "Typical Idle?" Closest thing I have on my Asus TUF X570-PRO  is under Advanced-->AMD CBS --> Global C State --> (changed from Auto to Disabled). 

Is that the same thing? Should I be looking for something else?

0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

@liquidwater AMD CBS\CPU Common Options

the Power Supply Idle Control, set to Typical.

However since the latest BIOS Update I've left it back on auto, I think the issue just didn't re-occur for a week, may not of been fixed by Typical Current at all. However it probably helps make it more stable but you shouldn't need this unless you Power Supply can't handle extreme low power states.

0 Likes
liquidwater
Adept II

Thanks! I may be looking in the wrong place, but I did not see this option at all. I'd like to try it out but not sure where to even find it in the BIOS. 

I wish there was just a simpler method of the event IDs actually telling us truly what the problem is. 

I don't know if I need to RMA my 3700x or not. Was really hoping it'd be a simple PSU issue on my end (I made a thread about Event ID 18, as well), but it doesn't look like that's the only issue.

0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

@liquidwater event viewer is actually quite good at diagnosing problems however if you rip the power cord from the wall you can't really get much information on the cause of that. It's kinda the same with all sorts of hardware issues.

You have the Typical Current option in your BIOS somewhere, it might make it more stable but it doesn't solve it.

Are you on a BIOS with AGESA 1.2.0.2? I've not been able to produce the issue since.

Also AGESA 1.2.0.3 came out 2 days ago and improves stability, I'm gonna stick with 1.2.0.2 first because it's working and I want to be sure it's stable before changing anything, but if 1.2.0.2 doesn't work try 1.2.0.3.

0 Likes
liquidwater
Adept II

Good question about the AGESA version. I installed the beta version of the driver (https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS-WI-FI/H...) and it says that the version is AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.2. Considering that this bios itself is in beta since April, I doubt that I'd be able to get my hands on the 1.2.0.3 version since I am quite dissatisfied with 1.2.0.2 and the prior version. And to answer your question, 1.2.0.3 did make the restarts less frequent, but it is still happening.  

Perhaps my PSU wasn't at fault and I had it RMA'd for no reason (essentially swapping a brand new unit with one that was recertified by EVGA)!

Is it even worth resetting Windows? Or should I just wait for the new BIOS version? 

This is my thread here: https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/kernal-power-41-errors-initially-but-now-whea-18-errors/m-p/...

0 Likes
Cmdr-ZiN
Challenger

That's how it works a few days ago 1.2.0.2 was in beta and now 1.2.0.3 is in beta for an ASUS tuf b550m, I'm sure the rest will getting it soon. However that may not fix your issue, it's hard to know what the cause is.

If you haven't done so yet you can run memtest86+ to verify your ram, best to run overnight, although I doubt it's your ram you often get BSODs but not always I guess.

0 Likes