Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

OogaBo0ga
Adept I

WHEA Logger Event ID 18 / frequent reboots in games

Hey all,

Little disclaimer at first, the last PC I built was 16 years ago so I'm very much out of the game and might be a bit or totally clueless when it comes to certain aspects, especially regarding voltages etc. I built a pc again in March and it's been having the problems as described below. It's built mainly for gaming. 

The problems have been happening since the build in March of this year and it's driving me absolutely crazy. It reboots out of the blue mostly in the somewhat 'higher load' games like CoD / Metro Exodus / Horizon New Dawn, but I have experienced crashes in 'less demanding' games as well.  It doesn't matter if I run the games on 1080 or 1440p the reboots will happen eventually. Sometimes very frequently (4-5 in an hour) sometimes I can play for a couple of hours before it happens. 

I replaced the PSU recently as I thought that was the main issue, I upgraded the 550w to a 750w due to the recommended power supply for my GPU which I missed / didn't research properly enough when I bought it. Here's my full specs: 

-Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
-GPU: Powercolor 5700xt Red Dragon
-CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
-PSU: Corsair RM750 Gold
-RAM: G.Skill Aegis F4-3000 16GB 
-CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black Edition
-SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
-HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 

Here's some of the stuff I've already tried or done already:

-BIOS updated to 7C02v37 (latest version of MSI website for the b450 max) / chipset and sata drivers installed
-GPU drivers updated to 20.11.1
-Replaced / reconnect all components in their respective slots and cables, including cleaning and reapplying thermal paste to the CPU heatsink
-Tried the other PCIE slot for the GPU
-Tried various power outlets on the wall
-Replaced PSU and DP cables
-Tried all the different programs ranging from Balanced/High performance/AMD optimized
-Tried running PBO / XMP both on/off 
-Did various testing with Cinebench/Heaven/3dMark all of which can run several times without problems. Heaven ran for at least 30 minutes last week without issues. 
-Ran the Memtest86, no issues found on either stick
-Underclocked the GPU 
-Did a clean install of windows last week

Since two weeks the WHEA logger event ID 18 has been added with the crashes. Before that it would only be Kernel power event ID 41 (63) with 6008 (before that is since the pc was built in March). As the WHEA Logger was added I found a thread on these forums hence my try here for a post. I did read of course that some people had the issue resolved by changing out the 5700XT, and if that's really the only solution then I'm afraid I'll have to do that as well but perhaps anyone sees anything in these WHEA logs that I could try or has any other tips/solutions? 

Here is the latest log from today, if more are needed let me know. 

Any help is highly appreciated! I'm really lost to be honest. 

Edit: I realize that normally people can easily swap out parts for older parts but given the fact this is all 6 months old and my previous pc building experience is from many years ago I don't really have the option to do that (except the PSU which I already replaced). 

0 Likes
0 Replies