Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

andorim
Journeyman III

WHEA Error after RMA 5800X

Hi all, 

I had WHEA Errors and RMA the processor. 

Gemeldet von Komponente: Prozessorkern
Fehlerquelle: Machine Check Exception
Fehlertyp: Cache Hierarchy Error
Prozessor-APIC-ID: 1

But the new processor has the same problem. 

My question now is what is the probability that the new processor will be defective again.

Or did I miss something while troubleshooting.

The error occurs with both CPUs when idling or under low load. Memtest did not produce any errors. Bios is up to date. Chipset, graphics card driver and Windows are up to date.

I have monitored temperatures and are a maximum of 80C ° with the CPU.

None of the components are overclocked.

I'm a bit desperate right now and hope someone here can help me.

Specs:
Ryzen 7 5800X
MSI B450-A Pro motherboard
Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse
32GB 2666 Kingston Ram

Greetings

~Andorim

0 Likes
7 Replies
andorim
Journeyman III

Hello everyone,
in the meantime I've also swapped the mainboard. And the error still occurs.

I have now tested the RAM again by installing only 2 of 4 bars. The error appeared in every combination.

Next I try to install an older graphics card driver as I have read that there may be problems with the newer versions.

If that doesn't help, I'll probably also replace the second CPU.

~ Andorim

0 Likes

Hello again, 

After reinstalling Windows for the fourth time, I decided not to install any drivers manually.

Graphics card drivers are from 08/21/2020. Version 27.20.1034.6

I have no idea which chipset driver Windows is using now, so I cannot provide any information.

That's not a nice solution, but at the moment I don't feel like testing with old drivers either, I'm glad that it is currently running.

In the near future I will probably install the latest graphics card driver again and then report back whether the problem occurs again.

Current specs:
Ryzen 7 5800X
Asus ROG Strix B550-F Mainboard, Bios 2423 AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.3 Patch C
Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse
32GB 2666 Kingston Ram
Windows 10 Pro Build 19043.1237

Greetings 

~Andorim

0 Likes

Nevermind, it happend again. 

0 Likes

This User from a recent AMD Forum thread he opened up mentions that he RMAed his Ryzen 5000 series CPU three times and still has the same issue: https://community.amd.com/t5/general-discussions/quot-we-has-authorized-rma-more-than-one-on-a-goodw...

Also AMD Warranty according to the User suppose to allow only one RMA per CPU or Customer but RMAed his processor three times as a courtesy as AMD Customer.

NOTE: I really am not following any threads with WHEA errors but it seems to be either an engineering flaw in certain 5000 Series processors or something in the CPU is not compatible with Windows or BIOS.

0 Likes

Oh hey, funny seeing you here. As a correction, there is no "extra RMA as a courtesy." The third party helpdesk representative who barely speaks english is lying because they don't want to deal with me or this insane situation. A new, in-box processor from AMD is covered under the same 3 year warranty. Regardless of if it's from a store or AMD's warehouses VIA RMA.

As for the poor soul dealing with this 5800x issue? I have no idea. I have replaced every part in this build, except the power supply. I have done the positive curve offset in PBO, SOC and Core offsets, turned off PBO and Performance Boost, Set Power Supply Type Typical, updated chipsets and BIOS countless times. My advice? Push for a refund like I am, maybe you'll get lucky. Or RMA the CPU a third time, sell it and use the money to go Intel. I am beyond disgusted with the customer support I've received with this. These forums are full of WHEA-18 crashing and there's not a **bleep** thing AMD is doing to help or even acknowledge the problem.

i have no idea if b450 have curve optimizer or not.... if don't have disable pbo2 or manual set the core speed with own vcore ...

if have curve optimizer... some gold core need to be positive some tweak and test stability with core cycler.....

during idle... some core boost cause the whea for sure.......

board boost too high than the default cpu boost limit cause over boost and whea error......

0 Likes
ryzen_type_r
Challenger

You can try bumping up CPU voltage very slightly, that might help if you've lost the silicon lottery, or your mobo is delivering less voltage than it's supposed to to the CPU.

However, WHEA errors can be caused by an instability with any hardware component.  So your mobo, PSU, and video card are still suspect (in that order IMO).  There might be a 'power supply idle control' setting in your BIOS, try playing with the settings.

0 Likes