cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Zarezim
Journeyman III

WHEA-18, black screen reboots Ryzen 5 3600

Hello all, since around last year I've been struggling with a prebuilt PC I got that has been suffering from WHEA-18 errors that force the PC to reboot, this primarily happens whenever I'm playing games, stuff like Monster Hunter: World or World of Warcraft seem to cause errors more often. 

I've tried a few different troubleshooting methods like turning Idle Power settings in the BIOS to Typical Idle, turning off CBO/PBO and XMP, also replaced the older PSU. The PC runs well temperature wise, usually sits around 60-70c in more heavy games. 

I thought about trying to tinker with the voltages inside BIOS but I have no idea what I'm doing on that front and don't wanna brick my PC. 

Inside the BIOS though I did record some info: CPU frequency is 3600MHz, 1.033V

Memory frequency is 3200MHz and Ch A/B voltage is 1.380

And my system specs are:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

RAM: T-Force Dark Z 16GB

GPU: RX5700 ASUS DUAL EVO OC

Motherboard: B450M DS3H

4 Replies
scarlet622
Adept I

Same issue.

Installed upgrades for my PC 2 week ago:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, MSI MPG X570 gaming plus mobo, 16GB 3600mhz DDR4 RAM.

3 times the PC restarts itself and logs the following in event viewer:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 0

The details view of this entry contains further information.

Source: WHEA-Logger

Event ID: 18

I have so far done:  BIOS is set to defaults. updated BIOS. enabled TPM and secure boot. no overclocking. installed latest drivers from amd.com

Any info to help would be much apprciated.

I still getting the same issue, whats next? contact AMD support somehow as I see many people with this issue also?

0 Likes

Your CPU is being starved of Voltage while idle.

Take VCore off Auto and set to Normal.

Add the slightest possible additional voltage in the Differential field now showing.  (probably .006 volts)

Take VSoc off Auto and set to Normal.

Again add the slightest possible additional voltage in the Differential field now showing (again .006 volts)

What I am asking you to do is to add far less voltage to these two fields, than the CPU would normally do just by adjusting it's frequencies.       (VCore typically jumps from .2 to 1.4ish)   (And VScoc jumps from 1.1 to around 1.2)

People typically add a differential voltage to extend their overclocking by extending the high range of voltage.   When you add these differentials you are lifting the high range as well as the low range.  You may not want the high range lifted, but that is not your problem here. You need the low range lifted to ensure stability.    If VCore voltage becomes uncomfortably high for you, then you may address that by Lowering things like PPT, TDC, EDC, as well as setting a Thermal Throttling Limit which you would also be comfortable with.

Good Luck

Zarezim
Journeyman III

Last night I noticed my audio drivers and chipset drivers were a year out of date and downloaded them through the Gigabyte site and updated them but sadly the issue still isn't solved. 

0 Likes