Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

colesdav
MVP

Re: WHEA 18 Again!!! I'm done!

Jump to solution

RE: Every component on this has checked out down to the much hated AsRock board. 

Is that the ASRock board you were complaining about that has the bad VRM?

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

RE: I'm glad colesdav isn't mad anymore, 

I am still angry at being accused of Promoting and Advertising Nvidia on an AMD Forum just because I post Tech Youtuber reviews. I disagree that the RX6800/XT 6900XT GPUs are better than Nvidia RTX3000. I pointed out , AMD GPU are way behing in compute, Blender, and productivity applications.  

Are you now Adertising for Intel on an AMD forum because you complain about AMD CPUs? 
I do not think you are but it is the same argument you used. 

0 Likes
tatane
Adept III

Jump to solution

I don't know how many were shipped, but with official resellers still struggling to fullfill day one orders (I'm speaking of an order passded at the same time as my amd.com order, so part of what should have been the reseller's first batch of stock that's still not arrived ...), AND AMD not being able to source one as an rma replacement for another 2 to 3 weeks from now, i'd say they really haven't produced or delivered much, and people who don't have another computer they can use to check the forums would be ... well ... stuck with no computer to tell people about their bad experience ...

noise in tech press ? where is the noise about all those WHEA errors when they are indeed very much present for quite a lot of people with 5000 series ? tech press is strugling to survive and they need to keep getting ads and product samples to do so, that means they're unlikely to say anything about it unless there's something as notable as a class action or a huge drop in AMD stock ... Youtubers are same as press, any reputable youtube won't attack amd because they want to keep receiving sample of their cpus and gpus in the future and not have to buy them with their own money to show people how nice they overclock when you have a golden engineering sample

get in touch ? welp, seeing at people reports on RMA, mine surprisingly went litteraly "no questions asked" ... this could be explained two ways : 

- It's a very expensive CPU and therefore they decided to provide a decent customer service (well, if that was really the case, they'd offered cross ship rma and would have some spare reserved for that)

- It's a widespread problem and they kinda automate the procedure of rma'ing those (quite more likely, then any spare are indeed already sent and they're struggling to renew rma stock)

Motherboard was an MSI x570 Tomahawk, possibly not the best mobo around but known for having pretty good VRMs ...

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

RE:  Games are the only trigger.
Did you run Furmark Sress test on the GPU? 
Does that crash? 

Here is one test I would suggest. 

Purchase Karhu Ram Test and run it in the background whilst you are running a game on the GPU. 
You can adjust the amount of RAM Tested - make sure you leave enough Free RAM, apart from that used by the game and in the test. 
See if it reports any Memory Errors whilst you are gaming with the GPU Active. 
It could well be memory errors induced due to electrical noise from the GPU - either directly or because the peak power pulled by the GPU is causing noise on the PSU rails. 

You can get Karhu RAM Test from here: 
https://www.karhusoftware.com/ramtest/

0 Likes
MacNZ
Adept I

Jump to solution

@mackbolan777 wrote:

Ok so weeks since fixing the IF running at 1866 to match my 3733, so called , "sweet spot" RAM on my 3600X build. I stopped having errors about Processor Core Failure/Hierarchy Error, and the usual complaints on here about the Ryzen CPU's in general. Switching to the Adrenaline 20.8.3 driver seemed to stop the error relating to that driver crashing.

Tonight after about 2 hours into BF4, the PC screams, black screens and reboots. The error: WHEA LOGGER 18 Processor Core Failure. So I'm done with AMD at least as far as CPU's go, just done. I looked for a single Intel with this error and found one in 2017 but it was error 19 and that resulted in CPU replacement after replacing everything else first. 

Same song here but it's happening to every model CPU from the Ryzen 3000's to the new Ryzen 5000's and now the only thing "Ryzen" is my blood pressure! 7 full months of fighting this machine and I've had it. Trying to help others on here with similar issues when in fact there is no cure, not from AMD. All these "quirks" with RAM, board topology, the "uniqueness" is a cover for AMD's failure to make a working product. Hundreds of thousands of posts about the same failures and errors all over the internet and yet AMD still keeps pumping out this problematic hardware.

Sure I'll RMA the CPU but I'm done with AMD CPU's until I see they actually fixed something right. $1100 worth of a problem, bunch of you know what. This whole forum was designed to catch the flak for AMD. Like getting one CPU to work properly is finding a unicorn or a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. For $1100+ No thanks. The RX 5600 XT is probably fine but we'll see after I switch CPU teams.

Yep, this will make a few of you guys happy that I'll not be in here very often if at all. At least I won't be wasting my time or money on trash that breaks every hour. AMD's RMA'ing Ryzen CPU's under a year old some less than a week, by the HUNDREDS, what's wrong here????  I'm glad I folded my business in 2012, because my customers would be banging on my door everyday since I built 99% AMD. I'd need to build a "forum" to hide behind too.

Don't give up. Try the newest one: 20.12.1 (WHQL). I installed the latest BIOS, just out a few days, from Gigabyte (Aorus Elite V1). BIOS F31o, which is updated AMD AGESA 1.1.0.0D. Still a beta, but NOT a C revision. (I read your post on "C" with great interest and immediately jumped on this new BIOS when it became available.

This ended WHEAs for me. Been running for 3 days, with all types of use. Memtest, CPU Load Test with CPU-Z, plenty of idling, and ordinary uses (Office, browsing the Internet, etc.). Rock solid with XMP and PBO enabled.

IMHO, this is NOT a hardware issue, it's a microcode issue (BIOS). The APIC (Advanced Power Interrupt Controller) ID is the core where the Cache Hierarchy corruption occurs, and this has to do with processor C-states. That's why a lot of the reported issues are under light load or idle.

Hope that helps.

Another Mac!

colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

RE:  and people who don't have another computer they can use to check the forums would be ... well ... stuck with no computer to tell people about their bad experience ...

I am pretty sure most people have laptops or smartphones or Work PC they could use to report problems. 

RE: noise in tech press ? where is the noise about all those WHEA errors when they are indeed very much present for quite a lot of people with 5000 series ? tech press is strugling to survive and they need to keep getting ads and product samples to do so, that means they're unlikely to say anything about it unless there's something as notable as a class action or a huge drop in AMD stock ... Youtubers are same as press, any reputable youtube won't attack amd because they want to keep receiving sample of their cpus and gpus in the future and not have to buy them with their own money to show people how nice they overclock when you have a golden engineering sample

Tech YouTubers do speak out these days. The large ones at least. And they defend smaller YouTubers and Tech Press - Gamer's Nexus usually but just yesterday: 

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/nvidia-told-to-sit-on-youtube-reviewers-quot-naughty-step-quot...

I do think they do get "golden engineering samples" of CPU and GPU for their day one reviews from AMD/Nvidia/Intel.
Some like Hardware Unboxed or Gamers Nexus do go out and buy GPUs/CPU's  from WEB/Store to avoid that issue if they can. 

RE: get in touch. 
I meant you should get in touch with Gamers Nexus or other Tech Reviewer site and ask them if they have heard of problems with Failing AMD CPUs / WHEA error etc. Even if they have not - they could ask people watching theiur videos to report such issues.

Same thing happened about AMD Drivers on RX5700XT. 
Reviewers claimed they were "not aware" of many driver crashes, but asked the Community. 
That noise meant AMD took notice and improved their Drivers - after many months of Users complaining on here, and NOTHING being done to fix it.

They only seemed to respond to bad press coverage that may affect sales, not complaints from their own users. 
Quelle suprise.

0 Likes
tatane
Adept III

Jump to solution

But why should all of that be needed for a company to acknowledge about an issue ? this whole discussion between us started on your allegation that building a Zen2/3 platform avoiding those WHEA errors was "very easy", sorry but you have 50 combined years of experience building PCs on this thread telling you it's not and you getting one that works OOB pretty much means you should buy a lottery ticket mate ;)  

My aim here is not to try and destroy AMD sales but to get them to fix their sh*t as I ordered 2 of those 5950x i need for work purposes and would rather not have to spend the next 7 months debugging the platform as @mackbolan777 had to ...

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Jump to solution

Keep in mind that this is a user-to-user forum. No engineers here. To report the issue where it can draw the attention of AMD and possible fix...... https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Everyone with this issue should report it. "A squeaking wheel gets the grease"

tatane
Adept III

Jump to solution

And if you read a couple posts up you'd see that my CPU is under RMA, so i obviously did contact amd support about it ;) 

edit : also commented on how surprised I was by them not asking much/any questions on details about how it failed / errors I had before it failed etc ...

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Jump to solution

@tatane wrote:

And if you read a couple posts up you'd see that my CPU is under RMA, so i obviously did contact amd support about it ;) 

edit : also commented on how surprised I was by them not asking much/any questions on details about how it failed / errors I had before it failed etc ...

Well consider my post directed to those who have not reported it. Obviously.

One report is not going to get a lot of attention...you know....pebkac. Several reports of the same issue gets their attention.

So instead of talking to each other, involve AMD. It's the only way a issue, if there is one, will be resolved.

@