cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

lowteck
Miniboss

Whats the Top CPU a B450 chipset can Handle?

For my Sons video editing/gaming rig, I believe it's an MSI tomahawk.

Too Many CPUs & GPUs to list...
0 Likes
1 Solution
mygard
Adept I

if it is the tomahawk b450 from msi it will handle up to the ryzen 9 gen 3 processor.. with ram speeds up to 4133 

tinyvalenz

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Depends on the Motherboard and what processors it shows supporting with its CPU SUPPORT LIST.

Seems like this Tech site agrees with your chose of the MSI Tomahawk: https://appuals.com/best-b450-motherboards/

0 Likes
JesseGTO
Adept I

Depending on the B450 model, the best CPU would be the AMD Ryzen 9 5950X.  However, before purchasing the new CPU, you should go to MSI's support website, select your motherboard model, then search for the compatibility page to get the list of supported CPUs.

Additionally note that the B450 motherboard will first require a bios update to ensure compatibility with a 5000 series CPUs (latest version will work).  Also, depending on the current CPU cooler you are using, you may potentially need to upgrade it.

mygard
Adept I

if it is the tomahawk b450 from msi it will handle up to the ryzen 9 gen 3 processor.. with ram speeds up to 4133 

tinyvalenz

Thank you, good sir!

Too Many CPUs & GPUs to list...
Likebrews
Adept II

This is good news that the awesome AMD Ryzen™ 9 3900XT processor being offered will fit my current B450 Tomahawk motherboard. I can't wait!

AMD Ryzen R7 2700X on MSI B450 Tomahawk Max 64GB Corsair RGBPro RAM MSI Armor 8GB RX580 WD NV750 Black Creative xFi Fatality 7.1 Twin MSI Optix MAG27322CQR
0 Likes