cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mrdeano
Adept II

Whats best.. X470 series or X570 series.

At the moment i am looking to upgrade again from the Ryzen 7 2700 to the Ryzen 7 3800 but i am using a cheap end motherboard - Asus Prime B450M-A. I want to get the best motherboard for the 7 3800 but have seen on forums people saying the x470 is better than the x570 but i am really not sure. Any advice would be great as i haven not found many cpmparison videos online that explain in laymen terms.  Thanks

9 Replies
radikul
Adept I

dont bother with 450 because it wont boot without an older processor which  is a pain in the a$$ to find!

Most new boards sold for B450 are updated already to run the Ryzen 3xxx processor. If not you are likely getting old stock. They will have a sticker that says they are ready if they are. Talk to a salesperson or message your online retailer for information. Many boards can also be updated by a flash driver containing the new bios without the need for a boot kit. 

Thanks. I am already using the B450 with the 7 2700 so i will probably opt for the x570 which is designed for the 7 3800. 

0 Likes

What 450 board do you have? Many of the MSi B450 boards run processors of the same core count as the prior gen really well. Since you already have a board update it to the latest bios and get the new processor. If it doesn't run to your liking you can always buy a new motherboard at that point. 

0 Likes

Sorry for late reply.. Lost a family member to this horible COVID....

I am using the Asus Prime B450M-A. I have purchased the Ryzen 7 3800x but the PC will not boot. It all lights up but nothing more. The CPU is fine because it works on my sons 470X board, The B450M-A is fine because that works ok with my Ryzen 7 2700x. I have just swapped and my PC does nothing except light up. I am assuming the 3800x is not compatible with the B450M-A.

There is no way to get into the bios to update as the screen is just black, so i will just get the ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus ATX Motherboard and hope they work together.

0 Likes

So sorry for your loss. I lost my mother a little over a week ago so I feel your grief. I thankfully have a nephew who had covid-19 along with his wife and one of two children. They all had mild symptoms and recovered in a few weeks. Amazingly the one child never got it. 

There have been many reports of various Zen 2 processors not working on several boards. It mostly seems to be after the more recent microcode updates. Many report that earlier Bios from mid to late last year worked. There was also a new microcode update a couple weeks ago released by AMD that is still finding its way into bios updates. I would talk to the support department for the board you have and see if they can direct you to a published bios that would work or offer a beta bios to you. 

0 Likes

So sorry for your loss too, Its a horrible time in our lives..

I have decided to buy a new X570 motherboard because Asus say to update the B450M-A motherboard i will need to install the Ryzen 7 2700x CPU and update the bios to run the 3800x. To be honest getting my sons CPU out of his PC again putting it back into mine, updating and re-installing it back to my sons is a bit of a hassle so i just ordered a new (better) board. I can sell the B450M-A on because they still seem to be a popular motherboard.

Thanks for all your info and help on this.

Best wishes

No doubt that sometimes the path of least resistance is the way to go. Hope the new build goes well and gives you years of trouble free operation. Thank you for the kind words. If you have any issues with the new board you know where to find us! Good Luck!

0 Likes

Honestly it depends on the bells and whistles you want. A 570 board is designed to go with Ryzen 3000 boards and any of them should have no issue with any of the processors. A older board may work really well with some of the newer chips but say you get the newest chip with 2x the cores that were available before, the VRMs may not be adequate to run that chip with stability. So my best advice is to simply figure out what features you want. Look at the specs and more importantly read the user reviews. There are a lot of good and bad boards out there.