cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

dip_deb
Journeyman III

What should be max ram speed for ryzen 5000 series?

I'm planning to buy ryzen9 or ryzen7 5000 series.

According to the ryzen9 specification, memory speed upto 3200 Mhz but I found in some tech forum max ram speed will be 4000Mhz (overclocked). Will I get huge performance if I use 4000Mhz speed which amd is not recommended?

As for ryzen memory speed is necessary, I'm bit confused. Can anyone help with authentic information and clear the concept of overclocked here?

5 Replies

RAM speed makes zero difference in games and only a few percent difference in professional applications as home applications are not memory bound, and professional applications benefit much more from additional memory channels, such as the ones found on Threadripper.

With that being said 4000mhz CL15 RAM from G.Skill is $200/16GB and 3200mhz CL 14 RAM from G.Skill is $100/16GB, so if you're already spending up to $800 on a CPU, why not splurge on 4000mhz CL15 RAM?

0 Likes

Do we know yet if there is is a point where the memory speed on Zen3 is no longer a 1 to 1 ratio? On Zen 2 for instance going above 3600 is pretty much pointless as you go to 2 to 1 on the fabric negating some of the gained performance. I don't know what that point is on Zen3 .

0 Likes

Zen 3 hasn't been released, so the only thing we have to go by is this slide from AMD

Okay so it Zen 2 was 3800 and looks like Zen 3 @ 4000 will still be  1 to 1 . 

Thanks!

0 Likes

So to the OP no reason to go over 4000 and benchmarks available soon after release should have some results at different ram speeds. If it is like in the past the ram speed maybe affects some games by a few fps. It usually comes down to how much cash you have burning a hole in your pocket. LOL

0 Likes