cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

natis1
Journeyman III

What is the Ryzen 2500u frequency range?

I just got my HP Envy x360 with a Ryzen 2500u and I am looking to get a longer battery life on Linux (Gentoo) by saving some power by underclocking it, and vice versa when the device is plugged in..

lscpu reports the following about the CPU:

CPU MHz:             1636.924

CPU max MHz:         2000.0000

CPU min MHz:         1600.0000

cpupower frequency-info seems to confirm this:

driver: acpi-cpufreq

CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0

CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0

maximum transition latency:  Cannot determine or is not supported.

hardware limits: 1.60 GHz - 2.00 GHz

available frequency steps:  2.00 GHz, 1.70 GHz, 1.60 GHz

available cpufreq governors: ondemand userspace powersave conservative performance schedutil

current policy: frequency should be within 1.60 GHz and 2.00 GHz.

The governor "conservative" may decide which speed to use

within this range.

For reference my kernel is 4.15rc7 and I am using the "git" version of linux-firmware.

Is this information correct? Every Intel CPU I have ever owned allowed me to downclock to 800MhZ. ARM is even better, allowing either 200MhZ or 100MhZ depending on the manufacturer. Furthermore, the maximum frequency seems low, especially compared to the 3.6GhZ boost clock promised for the 2500u.

And if not, how can I get a larger frequency range?

0 Likes
8 Replies
gordonq
Journeyman III

get a laptop cooler imo will help. my hp x360 laptop can sustain over 3.0ghz on all cores at 65C (without any gpu loads of course)in benchmark. It can hit 3.15ghz on all cores for a short burst.Screenshot (5).png

0 Likes

Thanks for the advice.

Looking at your picture I can see you're running at a frequency above 2GHz, and I did some analysis and found my frequency range actually ranges from around 1.3GHz (which is still higher than I'd expect for a minimum but at least it's better than 1.6GHz), to upwards of 3.4GHz. This is great! But it seems like I can't control this behavior at all.

Why is the CPU frequency range that I can set as an end-user limited from 1.6GHz to 2.0GHz?

And what does setting this value actually do when the real range is larger?

0 Likes

idk man, maybe check your power plan to see if the cpu max processor state is 100% or not when it's plugged in. Maybe also check the link state power management and system cooling policy? Mine hovers around 1.4-1.5ghz on idle in power saving mode when it's on battery.

0 Likes
gordonq
Journeyman III

oops I was wrong, all cores only can sustained at 3.0ghz for the first run in passmark cpu test. In cinebench stress test (8 threads) it started throttling after few runs when the temp hit 78-79C (one of the core freq dropped to 1.5ish ghz), and eventually, the temp hovered around 80C (in this 25w tdp config). The multithread score also dropped to about 550 from the initial 600.Screenshot (12).png

0 Likes
brauliobo
Journeyman III

same here, although before (maybe before last linux-firmware or pre 4.17) it used to go to more than 2ghz

0 Likes
dazzxp
Journeyman III

Depends on the tasks being used and what power setting, i use the Ryzen Balanced mode and mine tends to run all cores around 3-3.2GHz and on single to two cores 3.6GHz.

0 Likes

hi i want to know when u r experiencing clock speed of 3 ghz on ur laptop did ur adapter was plugged in, cause mine acer nitro ryzen 5 2500u was stuck at 1.6ghz while on battery power but its reaching 3 ghz only while its plugged in to ac power.

please let me know cause i am now really frustrated with this cpu

0 Likes
ayushn212
Adept I

bro i have same problem with my acer nitro 5 which has ryzen 5 2500u cpu

on battery i doesnt go beyond 1.6ghz and when i plug in the adapter it goes 3 ghz on all cores on 3.6ghz on single core i checked using hardware monitor while running cinebench r15

i also want to khow how i can push the cpu speed to 3 ghz while on battery?