cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

amdbkn
Adept I

What is the Maximum Overclocking Speed for a AMD Phenom II X6 1045T?

I wanted to increase the speed of the CPU without buying a new motherboard and chipset. I currently have a Gigabyte GA 880GA UD3H Motherboard with a AMD Phenom II X6 1045T. So I was thinking of overclocking the current chip or buying another AMD processor that can fit the motherboard and then overclocking it. I did not want to spend too much money of the customization. I use the PC for mostly, internet, documents, video, some graphics.  No gaming. I have a NVIDIA Geforce FT 730 card.

19 Replies

You didn't specify which version of your motherboard you have.

There is only one version which can support a AM3+ Processor which are the FX series which are more powerful and faster than the Phenom II.

If you have the last version of your motherboard, version 3.1: GA-880GA-UD3H (rev. 3.1) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global 

Depending on which version of your Motherboard you have installed will depend if you are able to install the FX Processor as an upgrade.

In case you don't know which version you have here is how to find out:

If you don't have a Version 3.1 then the only choice you have is to Overclock your existent processor.

I would suggest you go to an Overclocking Tech Website like Overclockers.com - Forums or Overclockers.net. There you will probably get your answer as to high you can Overclock your Phenom II processor from here: Overclockers Forums.

Found this thread at https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/1346977-overclocking-phenom-ii-x6-1045t.html  concerning overclocking your processor.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes

Wow how confusing. They should have changed the model number not just the revision to 3.1 as it is the only AM3+ board of the bunch. All the others are just AM3 so yes on those a Phenom II is as far as you can go.

Yeah, I needed to edit my reply afterwards because I assumed all the versions supported AM3+ processors until I saw the N/A meant it didn't support AM3+ processors under the BIOS catergory. Then I saw the only version was 3.1 which did show a valid BIOS Version (BETA BIOS) which I validated at the download page.

You would think the same motherboard model would all support basically the same processors in all versions. That was the false assumption I was under until I started checking each individual models supported CPUs. 

What threw me off was all the versions showed the FX series processors except versions 3.0 and below was not supported. Why even bother to show a Processor that wasn't supported on the Support CPU page.

I have known that AM3 motherboard can be used to install AM3+ Processors. As per this question under google:

0 Likes

Actuall to my knowledge and AM3+ will fit but not work. I know of no exceptions. I have 3 different AM3 boards and could not upgrade to anything later than Phenom II. Now you can use a Phenom II in an AM3+ board. 

0 Likes

Now I did get a phenom II to work on an AM2 board that did not officially support it. 

0 Likes

As long as the AM3 Motherboard has a BIOS version that supports the AM3+ processor it will work. 

0 Likes

I don't doubt just never seen one as far as I knew it wasn't possible. 

0 Likes

According to what I just read an AM3 can fit a AM3+ but not vice versa. The AM3 has 941 pins and an AM3+ has 942 pins so not possible. Now I am sure that doesn't mean that around the time AM3+ was about to be adopted that some AM3 board models could have been sold as AM3 but actually had the AM3+ socket and just awaited a bios update. That is probably the more likely scenario. 

According to Wikipedia it is even more than the one pin difference:

"The AM3+ Socket specification contains a few noteworthy design changes over its AM3 predecessor. The 942 pin count for the AM3+ is an increase of one compared to the AM3 Socket layout.[3] The AM3+ Socket has larger pin socket diameter of 0.51 mm compared to 0.45 mm with the AM3 Socket"

0 Likes

Maybe so, but the AM3+ processor still is mechanically compatible with the AM3 boards whose socket has been modified to accept those type of  processors. as per Wikipedia:

Some manufacturers have brought AM3+ support to some of their AM3 motherboards via a simple BIOS upgrade.[5] Mechanical compatibility has been confirmed and it is possible for AM3+ CPUs to fit in AM3 boards, provided they can supply enough peak current. Another issue is the use of the sideband temperature sensor interface for reading the temperature from the CPU. Therefore, some CPU PWM fan headers may only run at full speed. Also, certain power-saving features may not work, due to lack of support[whose?] for rapid VCore switching.[

0 Likes

I am not arguing with you elstaci. I said from the start I believe it was possible I just never knew it. You seem to be trying to prove a moot point of some kind? If they modified it to work or in fact used the upcoming AM3+ socket then it isn't an original AM3 socket but would still be fully AM3 compatible. Nobody would know the difference. I don't even think it was 6 months before AM3 was replaced by AM3+.  It has the extra pin hole then so it is then AM3+ compatible. So I never doubted that some could do it only saying that at that point it isn't an AM3 it is an AM3+ socket. If you feel to confirm a 10 year old processor socket with whoever you like as to which ones do and don't fit, go right ahead. I honestly could not care less. I am sure not looking to use an FX processor at this point, IMHO it would be a waste of money. As you already found it isn't possible on most revisions of the OP's board only the last. I know for a fact a FX processor would not fit in my 3 AM3 boards. I tried! It does have the extra pin and that pin hole doesn't exist on my socket. I ended up having to get another board. I have 2 Gigabyte and 1 MSI AM3 boards.

I don't see how any of this serves the OP's original question unless he finds he can use one on his board, that is awesome. I already said that too.

I have no doubt that many boards after the initial AM3 came out were using a socket that would work with the upcoming AM3+. Only needing a bios upgrade.

Wikipedia is not always the best source for information as there are often duplicate or incorrect entries on the same topic and they will tell you different things. It can be changed by anyone who thinks they know best. All I know is I googled and found lots of conflicting testimony too. So I have no doubt that many were in my camp and could not fit the chip, others could fit it and the board had not enough voltage or lacking bios and the rest it worked out great for them.

Regardless the OP seems to be done with this thread and I am too!

0 Likes

Everything that I have read suggests that a AM3+ Processor will fit in a AM3 motherboard that supports that type of Processor.

It is possible the AM3 motherboard that does support the AM3+ Processor may have a socket with the correct number of pins or the AM3 socket does have room or has an extra pin in it for the AM3+ processor.

Seems like we both are correct according to this thread from a online Retail store OutletPC: Buy AMD AM3 / AM3+ Motherboards at OutletPC 

Is AM3+ backward compatible with AM3?

AM3+ processors have an extra pin compared to AM3 processors, making them incompatible with the AM3 Socket. Some AM3 motherboard were revised and released with an updated socket to allow for this compatibility, but as a rule, AM3+ processors will not work in an AM3 socket.

Another thread that agrees with both of us: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/160324-what-would-happen-if-i-put-an-am3-cpu-on-a-am3-mobo/ 

0 Likes

You are correct but what was confusing is that some AM3 motherboard manufacturers revised the AM3 socket so that it will fit the AM3+ processor and probably like Gigabyte didn't change the Model number, just the Revision version. But that probably was on some of the last AM3 motherboard produced before going EOL and when the AM3+ board became widespread.

0 Likes

Probably like I already said, it had an AM3+ socket to begin with and and AM3 bios that got updated to AM3+ later. It really doesn't matter either way. If it works for some that is awesome. 

0 Likes
amdbkn
Adept I

Thanks to elstaci and pokester, I checked the motherboard and there is no serial number or revision number. I will try and upgrade the RAM I have from 4 to 16, and I didn't upgrade my Windows from the 32 bit to the 64 bit. Finally, I will install a SSD hard drive to replace the older hard drives. 

0 Likes

While that won't make the games faster it could certainly alive stutter if you had some ram related stutter before and at 4gb many games need more than that. If you have 2 slots open and are only using two 2gb modules, just going to 10 would be better than nothing, and you would not have to spend as much on a dead platform. You could also look for some cheap used ram on ebay but it is much cheaper retail now that what it had been. I did that with my Phenom II x6 1090t. While your processor isn't unlocked and you can't raise the clock speed you can raise the bus speed a little to OC the CPU. You could play with that, but it doesn't take to much of a change to become unstable. Regardless with a little extra ram and an SSD that compute will still be a great computer for non-gaming tasks for several years to come.

Food for thought for about 370 bucks your could have a B450 board ( I went with the  MSI Tomahawk), R5 3600 and 16gb or ram. It is exactly what I just did to upgrade by Phenom X4 system myself. Reused the case, power supply and hard drive.

If you have a Windows 7 or 8 key you can likely use it to activate a Windows 10 license for you for free.

0 Likes

If you physically checked your motherboard it should have a long thin label with the motheboard's model and version number on it. Or at least a Serial Number.

Here is Gigabytes Support on how to locate your Serial number and model number on your motherboard: How to find model name / serial number | Service / Support - GIGABYTE Global 

It is important to know which version of Motherboard you have so that you can download the correct drivers and especially BIOS version and check to see if it supports which type of SSDs or type of RAM modules by downloading the correct Motherboard Manual.

If only a serial number you can open a Gigabyte Support ticket and they should be able to tell you exactly which version of Motherboard you have installed. Also ask if it will support which type of SSD.

If you have Windows 7 x 32 bit it is wise to upgrade your Windows version to Windows 10 x 64 version which is supported while Windows x 32 is generally becoming non-supported and legacy.

Here how to upgrade by using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool which you can download: How to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 • Pureinfotech 

One thing the article mentioned about the "Free" upgrade. It may not be free depending on Microsoft:

Update September 19, 2019: You may still upgrade to Windows 10 using a Windows 7 product key, but be aware that Microsoft no longer offers free upgrades, as such the company can stop devices from activating using this method at any time.

There is no harm in seeing if your Windows upgrades for free. Only time spent on downloading and upgrading Windows.

So to be on the safe side, If you end up having to purchase a Windows 10 license and don't want to, I would suggest to first make a Full System Backup in case you can't revert back to Windows 7 automatically

0 Likes
amdbkn
Adept I

Pokester & elstaci,

I found the serial number for the Gigabyte motherboard 104440027069, I also, looked at the cooling system I have for the AMD chip, I have a fan and cooling tower, I might see about overclocking a little.

0 Likes