cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

JonahK
Adept I

What is the cause of these low Cinebench scores?

Spoiler

I have a 5950x. The single-core score in Cinebench R23 tends to be around 1560, which is much lower than I would have expected given that in this set of test results it got a score of 1694. The CPU never boosts much above 4.7 GHz in Task Manager during this testing. After the first run, which takes about five minutes, it does seem to start thermal throttling, since the frequency that I see in Task Manager drops a bit, as does the score. Still, this does not appear to be the problem with the first run. 

Similarly, the multicore score is around 25102 points. It only boosts to around 3.7 GHz during this test.  This is much lower than the 28800 that this chip got in the article. It is not thermal throttling during the first part of the multicore test, since the temperature stays below 85 degrees. If I run the multicore test a dozen or so times in a row, it does approach 90 and start throttling, logically enough given my choice of cooler, but this does not explain the low initial results. 

To run these tests, I created a new account and disabled as many applications as possible until the CPU usage was at basically 0%, occasionally fluctuating to 1 or 2% when various Windows processes needed it. I even disabled the antivirus. The computer is in high performance mode. The idle temperature of the CPU is around 42 Celsius (on Power Saver), but it does seem to heat up rapidly. I am using a Scythe Shuriken 2 cooler, which at 58 mm may not provide the best cooling. 

I am at a loss here. Did I just get a very bad chip?

10 Replies