cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

pcpete
Journeyman III

what is the best cooler for rizen threadripper 2950X

I am building a new computer with an ASUS Prime X399 motherboard and a Rizen threadripper 2950X and would like to know what is the best cooler for this .

I looked at a Corsiar  Hydo H115i but this does not fit without a special bracket which I cannot seem to get anywhere .The supplied Threadripper bracket does not fir this cooler .

I am open to sugestions and experiences Thanks

0 Likes
6 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

pcpete, I agree an AIO water cooler is best for these larger processors.  I suggest you make sure that the cold plate completely covers all the chips in the module.  The older ones do not, so ask Corsair about the H115i.  One of my main attractions to the EnerMax cooler was the complete coverage on day one of Threadripper.  Here are my specifications:

MSI X399 Creation, Threadripper 2990WX, 3xSamsung SSD 970 EVO RAID0, 4xSSD 960 EVO on

MSI AeroXpander RAID10, 1TB & 500 GB WD Black, G.SKILL Flare X F4-3200C14Q-32GFX,

Windows 10 x64 Pro, EnerMax-MaxTytan-EDT1250EWT, Enermx Liqtech TR4 280 CPU Cooler,

Radeon RX580, UEFI E7B92AMS.120, AGESA SummitPI-SP3r2-1.1.0.2.

I have a really large full tower (old NZXT PHAN-001RD, probably no longer available).  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Here is AMD's Recommended CPU Coolers for Ryzen Threadripper CPU/APUs: Thermal Solutions for Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processors | AMD 

By the way, many of these CPU coolers you need to contact the manufacturer and they will send you, normally, a free kit to make the CPU Cooler compatible to install on a Threadripper CPU. But if it is advertised to fit Threadrippers than it should have the kit included when your purchase the CPU Cooler. If not, the Manufacturer will send you one, normally free of charge.

0 Likes
pcpete
Journeyman III

hi

I have just built a AMD 2950 threadripper based computer, 

I had trouble with coolers first purchasing a corsair water cooled unit but unfortunately although it said it was compatible it did not come with a compatible adapter bracket and the bracket that is supplied with the actual threadripper CPU did not fit ? 

I then sought further advice and exchanged the corsair unit for a NZXT X52 and the AMD supplied bracket did fit and it is working perfectly and does a good job.

Also when you have built your threadripper computer go to AMD risen web site and download and install the AMD Rizen -Master free software it is an excellent piece of software to monitor your computer including the cooling

Hope this helps

0 Likes

hi

I have just built a AMD 2950 threadripper based computer,

I had trouble with coolers first purchasing a corsair water cooled unit but unfortunately although it said it was compatible it did not come with a compatible adapter bracket and the bracket that is supplied with the actual threadripper CPU did not fit ?

I then sought further advice and exchanged the corsair unit for a NZXT X52 and the AMD supplied bracket did fit and it is working perfectly and does a good job.

Also when you have built your threadripper computer go to AMD risen web site and download and install the AMD Rizen -Master free software it is an excellent piece of software to monitor your computer including the cooling

Hope this helps

Petre

0 Likes
keetoowah
Adept I

I have a 1950x at first I had a ASROCK Fatil1ty Professional Gaming motherboard and used the Alphacool Eishbaer 420 cooler with good results./ Depending on what your case will hold, they now have one called Alphacool Eisbaer Extreme. I know the cold plate fit the CPU well for an AIO. I have since gone to a custom loop with two large radiators with a Heatkiller IV Pro cold plate. To overclock a 16 core CPU cooling is the main objective. The bigger the rads.(copper only) with an appropriate reservoir and pump changes everything. I can get 4.2 ghz on all cores with 85% load and stay under 70 degrees. 

0 Likes
jburb
Journeyman III

Has anyone evaluated the Cool Master Wraith Ripper (Air) Cooler?

0 Likes