cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

skorp
Journeyman III

What is normal all core voltage for a 3800x?

Just got a 3800x yesterday and did some testing, I am satisfied with stock performance. It also seems to play well with my MSI B350 Pro Carbon. One caveat though, high voltages don't seem limited to low threaded tasks. I am running the latest bios from MSI's site, (Released December 3rd) as well as the November 25th chipset drivers from AMD. I began testing at all stock, including memory.

I was expecting to see some high voltages (upwards of 1.4) for max boost in lightly threaded scenarios.

What I did not expect was for the CPU to maintain voltages around 1.38-1.39 (sometimes higher) in cinebench (all core).

It does preform as expected on stock, with a 4.525 single core and 4.25 all core boost, but the voltage readings from Ryzen Master are definitely concerning for sustained use. Bios options seem to be a bit limited as compared to an X570 board, although 4.3ghz @ 1.275 manual voltage is stable (and according to Ryzen Master, it still reduces voltage at idle).

What confuses me is why the chip is so adamant about pushing voltages that may be unsafe for all core scenarios. It appears it can easily make do with a full .1v + less while maintaining a clock higher than the automatic boost. On my board, offset voltages have mixed results: With the boards basic offset, it seems to just increase voltage when set to '-' which on my first gen chip was a negative offset as expected. Another option, 'AMD Overclocking' has offset options from -25mv to -100mv. When using the -100mv offset, all core voltage hovers around 1.35v which is still higher than I would like to see.

I am simply concerned for the longevity of the CPU here and would like to hear about what others have experienced with their stock 3700/3800x CPU's. I am wondering if it is just my board, any help is much appreciated!

0 Likes
7 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

skorp, there is no "normal" core voltage.  Please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (R) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  The core voltage varies a lot, maybe from below 1.0 to above 1.5 Volts.  If you do not like your values, then change them as you see fit.  I think AMD engineers know a lot more about this than I do and I do not mess with it.  Remember this is a user forum and if you want to get AMD ideas, open a support ticket.  I recommend you do a Clear CMOS, run RM only (no other applications).  Ryzen, I think, will do a great job of protecting itself.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I have a B350 board and it is ok, but I have an X470 and now X570 board and the X570 runs my R5 2400G better then the older board can. Boot times are better etc.

0 Likes
skorp
Journeyman III

An update to this post, with my MSI B350 gaming pro carbon running the latest available bios (7B00v1JQ) containing 1.0.0.4B SMU 46.54, auto/stock settings, with an NH-D15, has degraded the chip. I used a manual undervolt/clock as a way to test for degradation. Upon first receiving the 3800x, an undervolt to 1.275v was stable at 4.3Ghz, later on when testing after running auto settings for a while, it required 1.3v. Now, at 1.3v cinebench will crash.

I should have known better than to trust the chip giving itself up to 1.39v all core.

0 Likes

skorp wrote:

An update to this post, with my MSI B350 gaming pro carbon running the latest available bios (7B00v1JQ) containing 1.0.0.4B SMU 46.54, auto/stock settings, with an NH-D15, has degraded the chip. I used a manual undervolt/clock as a way to test for degradation. Upon first receiving the 3800x, an undervolt to 1.275v was stable at 4.3Ghz, later on when testing after running auto settings for a while, it required 1.3v. Now, at 1.3v cinebench will crash.

I should have known better than to trust the chip giving itself up to 1.39v all core.

if fiddling with voltages is needed then there needs to be a new BIOS to better support the CPU.

0 Likes

I asked MSI if there will be any newer BIOS version released, and unfortunately they told me that no, so I guess we've got stuck with this last version.

0 Likes

parano1d wrote:

I asked MSI if there will be any newer BIOS version released, and unfortunately they told me that no, so I guess we've got stuck with this last version.

MSI has basically abandoned the old A320, B350 and X370 platforms. MSI has new MAX series boards they want to sell which have the larger BIOS capacity.

So the smaller BIOS has come to haunt the early adopters of AM4.

0 Likes
jkkyler
Journeyman III

I am having a similarissue - new install of ryzen3800 hwinfo64 shows stock voltages at rest as ~1.45v (fluctuates mildly). I have tried adjusting BIOS  settings even putting 1.1v with -0.5v offset with no change on monitors (other monitors such as DIP5 show same value) using AUS prime x470 pro MObo with 3800x if that matters.

0 Likes