Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

einfomail
Adept I

What if I ignore New CPU installed…message

Hi,

The specification of my desktop computer is as

Processor: AMD FX-8320, Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 (AMD 970 Chipset), RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury, HD: 1TB WD Black and SMPS: CoolerMaster 650W

Due to some issue, the processor was replaced by the AMD. After installing the new processor (FX-8320), I see the error message as following:

New CPU installed! Please enter setup to configure your system. Press F1 to Run SETUP

After pressing F1, I press F8 for Boot Menu, then I select P3:WDC.. (Hard Drive)

Then Windows login screen appears. I saved booting priority by F10. However, after every restart, I need to follow these steps after pressing F1.

I replaced onboard 3V battery and discussed with Asus also. I have gone through all possible troubleshooting steps with the guidance of Asus. Also I selected default loading but issue not resolved. At the end, Asus says, this issue is because of motherboard so disable Wait for 'F1' If Error and continue to use.

I know disabling Wait for 'F1' If Error is not the solution of this problem. It is just ignoring the error message so please let me know, if I ignore the error message, is there any possibility of further hardware issue in motherboard, processor, RAM or hard drive?

And if I continue by ignoring this error message, is there precaution so that the possibility of further hardware issue in the motherboard and processor would be less?

With Regards

Einfo

0 Likes
21 Replies

Reflash the BIOS.

0 Likes

I did re-flash the BIOS and it was done successfully but the issue not resolved.

Again I see the same message in POST i.e.

New CPU installed! Please enter setup to configure your system. Press F1 to Run SETUP

Please let me me, if I continue after disabling Wait for 'F1' If Error, is there any possibility of further hardware issue?

0 Likes

I have an Asus motherboard and to enter BIOS I need to press "Delete or F1" . F8 is used only to select what Drive to boot up first bypassing BIOS settings.

Under BIOS settings there are several options to configure your CPU. Not the ones involved with Overclocking. If problem persists, it is possible you may have a bad Motherboard BIOS chip.

Do you have the last BIOS from Asus installed version 2603 : M5A97 R2.0 Driver & Tools | Motherboards | ASUS USA

Try installing the latest AMD CHIPSET for your motherboard from AMD Support from here : Previous AMD Chipset Drivers .

0 Likes

My motherboard is M5A97 not M5A97 R2.0.

https://www.asus.com/in/Motherboards/M5A97/HelpDesk_Download/

And as per the above link, the latest BIOS Version is 1605, released on 2012/10/31 with size. 2.29 MBytes. The same BIOS was flashed about two years ago. I re-flashed the same BIOS i.e. 1605. And it was done successfully.

0 Likes

Need to specify which version of Motherboard you have in the future (version 1.0, 1.x, 2.x).

Try updating the CHIPSET then, It is the same. It probably won't help but there is no big risk in updating them and it might fix the problem.

If you still can't resolve the problem, open an AMD EMAIL SUPPORT Ticket : Email Form​ and see what they suggest could be the problem.

0 Likes

Once again I brief what I did to fix this issue.

1. Cleared CMOS using jumper.

2. Replaced CMOS onboard 3V battery.

3. Uninstalled and Reinstalled the Processor.

4. Selected Hard Drive in the 1st Boot Priority and saved settings with F10.

5. Loaded default setting.

6. As per the link https://www.asus.com/in/Motherboards/M5A97/HelpDesk_Download the latest BIOS version is 1605 (released on 31.10.2012). Already motherboard BIOS was updated and latest (1605). However, I re-flashed. After re-flashing, loaded default settings. In default settings mode, I selected Hard Drive in the 1st Boot Priority and saved settings with F10.  After restart, I see the same message (New CPU installed! Please enter setup to configure your system. Press F1 to Run SETUP).

7. I discussed with ASUS. ASUS says, there is some issue in the motherboard. That’s why it’s not saving the settings. And ASUS suggested, disable Wait for 'F1' If Error and continue to use.

Now please let me know what new steps should I go through to resolved this issue or

let me know, if I continue to use after disabling Wait for 'F1' If Error, is there any possibility or risk of further hardware issue?

0 Likes

Found this previous old thread that fixed the NEW CPU error by reseating the CPU and cleaning the Motherboard's CPU Socket: [SOLVED] New CPU installed on boot - Tech Support Forum .

Hey guys,

Sorry for the slow reply, been rather busy lately.

I re seated the CPU and now the problem has stopped, might have been dust or coming loose somewhere, thanks for the help:).

This user found one reason for Asus motherboard's having that CPU installed error message and how to fix it: Solved! ASUS New CPU installed issue .

This is a very old previous thread from Tom's Hardware concerning the same issue on a Asus motherboard: Help! Cpu Reinstalls every boot up! - CPUs - Tom's Hardware .

OMG... after i found out what jumpers were.. i looked at the CMOS jumper place and there was nothing there!! Then i saw the jumper in the dust under the motherboard! i guess it somehow came out of the cmos thingy .. well i put it in AND IT dosnt reinstall my cpu every time now!!!! thanx everyone for ur help!.

My opinion is either a bad CMOS Battery, CMOS BATTERY Contact/pins, bad BIOS Chip, or bad motherboard CPU socket. Or it could be a bad contact between the CPU and the motherboard's CPU Socket.

Seems like you have done all the steps that FIXED the problems in the other threads. 

If your motherboard is still under warranty I would try and RMA it.

Your motherboard need to have the cap (jumper) installed properly on the CLRTC in position 1 & 2.  If you have it on 2 & 3 it will continue to reset the BIOS every time you boot up.

Seems like this happens mainly with Asus Motherboards. I have a Asus motherboard with a FX 8350 without any problems.

I really appreciate your efforts that you tried to search solutions.

As references, I see three links.

In one link (http://newcpuinstalledissue.daemoncms.com ), the socket has been replaced with a GIGABYTE motherboard. I don’t have additional socket so I am unable to go through steps explained in this link.

I have gone through both links.

https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f15/solved-new-cpu-installed-on-boot-615569.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/174348-28-help-reinstalls-boot

As per techsupportforum link,

I cleared CMOS via jumper, restored the BIOS to default, reconfigured the BIOS, checked the jumper pins, removed CPU and re-seated the CPU.

As per tomshardware link,

I replaced the onboard battery.

Also I reset CMOS as per M5A97 manual.

Remove the onboard battery and move the jumper again to clear the CMOS RTC RAM data. After clearing the CMOS, reinstall the battery.

Apart from this, I re-flashed ROM earlier.

At the end, unfortunately issue is not resolved in my case.

And I see New CPU installed! Please enter setup to configure your system. Press F1 to Run SETUP

0 Likes

Asus might have a tech support toll-free number to try and see if they cant look into if the board has the issue and was recalled and needs RMA.

Gotta be a bio's related issue, and if the default bios is saying that thats not good.

0 Likes

There is a BIOS recovery business outside manufactures, i not sure if Asus has there own support for that or if they contract out or if they will just give out a recovery number and that could be expensive.

Warrenty still covering this ?

0 Likes

I already discussed with ASUS Expert on call and through emails. I explained whole scenarios.

As I said earlier, at the end, ASUS said, disable Wait for 'F1' If Error and continue to use.

After disabling Wait for 'F1' If Error, during POST I see the same message again “New CPU installed!... for few seconds.

Then Window login screen appears.

Also I noticed, in idle mode the CPU temperature goes up to 50°.

Earlier I used to work on 4-5 virtual machines in this computer. Now on priority basis I am planning to install Cooler Master 212x CPU Air Cooler.

As I said earlier, Processor: AMD FX-8320, Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 (AMD 970 Chipset), RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury, HD: 1TB WD Black, SMPS: CoolerMaster 650W and UPS:  APC Back-UPS 600 

As I asked earlier,

As per ASUS suggestion, if I disable Wait for 'F1' If Error and continue to use, please explain, what are the possibilities of risk of further issues in Motherboard or in other components?

0 Likes

Installing the Cooler Master 212x EVO can be a little difficult. Make sure you take a very close look at the images from the instructions. The brackets have different notches or holes for AMD and Intel.

That message, in my opinion, is just saying Hey You have a new CPU install. Check BIOS to configure the new CPU. I can't  advise you if there is any risk using the computer with the message popping up after every reboot. If Asus said to disable the message, then it seems like there is no harm in using the computer.

If you can't configure BIOS because of the message then you need to contact Asus about RMAing your motherboard. If you are able to make normal changes to BIOS and it stays. Then I would just ignore the message for the time being.

Hyper 212 EVO and Hyper 212X both are different Air-Cooler.

http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/hyper-212-evo/

http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/hyper-212x/

My focus is Hyper 212X and I know, its installation is difficult.

ASUS said, disable Wait for 'F1' If Error and continue to use. Also he said, there would be no impact to your Hardware by ignoring this warning. But I wasn’t satisfied. Then he said, visit service center.

Due to some personal reason, I am out of city for 2 months and it seems that warranty will be ended after two months. In case of warranty expired, they’ll not consider any issues related to this motherboard. That’s why I want advice from experts like you.

I explained the hardware configurations and type of usages of this computer.

Please do some more exercise for me and advice me.

I’ll be thankful to you.

0 Likes

You do realize that most Users on this Forum aren't experts including myself.

Most are like you. I realize your concerns about the Warranty expiring and then your motherboard going bad and Asus says it was because of the message you had.

Maybe an expert on motherboards/BIOS will read this thread and answer your question.

So, I truly hope you get your answer and your anxiety is relieved.

Good luck!

EH This sint that kind of forum, this is a community AMD forum for AMD products mostly the ones they sell .

Send it in for work, sounds like Asus solved it ?

0 Likes

Issue is still unresolved. As I said, I am still out station so unable to visit ASUS service center with motherboard.

Till the time I don’t visit the service center, according to ASUS, resolution is “disable Wait for 'F1' If Error and continue to use. There would be no impact to your Hardware by ignoring this warning.”

I know this community is for AMD product. Unfortunately, ASUS doesn’t have any community for such issue.

ROG is a series of ASUS product and there is a forum of rog.asus.com for this product.

M5A97 is not a ROG series product. However, I posted its issue on rog.asus.com but not helpful resolution.

I am afraid of end of warranty when I come back.

That’s why I think, I have to continue after disabling Wait for 'F1' If Error.

I am also afraid of negative impact on hardware components, if continue after disabling Wait for 'F1' If Error.

0 Likes

If your CPU isn't damaged as per hardcoregames™​ and if Asus Support sent you an EMAIL saying to avoid the Warning, at least, you have a hard copy from Asus saying to continue using your computer and to ignore the message. If anything happens you can send a copy to Asus Support instructing you to ignore the CPU message. If the problem was due to the message from the CPU.

0 Likes

elstaci wrote:

If your CPU isn't damaged as per hardcoregames™ and if Asus Support sent you an EMAIL saying to avoid the Warning, at least, you have a hard copy from Asus saying to continue using your computer and to ignore the message. If anything happens you can send a copy to Asus Support instructing you to ignore the CPU message. If the problem was due to the message from the CPU.

If the machine is spewing F1 errors it suggests bent pins or worse, thermal material contamination

0 Likes
atlasminor
Challenger

I see coolermaster listed so guessing this isnt one of there newer pre-builts they started shelving, so good idea might be to Un-Socket your cpu

Disconnect everything from your board EXCEPT your PSU, flip the switch, wait for spinup test OR if your PSU has no test , FLip switch off unplug from wall. Nothing is needing a power off yet ,

If you have LEDs wait about 5sec, then FLip / unplugg menaing the trouble led's, all boards have them, well good ones anyways.

Re-socket your CPU complete circuit.

To power down seeing the cpu fan running / led's and psu running, Hard Flip the PSU switch, try to aviod the case power button, because it shouldnt be connnected yet, or the usb's they are the absolute last.

, ( note : There still isnt going to be video your building one piece at a time, when you finally get 1 Ram stick and GPU / Or use the onbaord.

I could have said Pull GPU, but that resets nothing !!!

Personally sound of problem TRY using the Onboard VGA, leave the GPU off the system, and see if your message goes away.

If yes , congrats, install your chipset reboot shutdown place your remaining stick of ram and gpu back into the system.

It could be APU related were the GPU isn't allowing the system to see the APU . Its a FX-8320, known to be a very solid cpu.

The CPU is what completes a boards ciruit, So dont expect much when your flip the switch, might also be a good idea to pin reset the board ... dont forget the battery after placing the reset back onto 2and4 pin, or is it 1 and three to normal ? I forget but you will see they ship only resets now and decided to not include Password Reset pins, costs maybe?

Cheers.

0 Likes

I suspect you may have a bent pin on the CPU, remove it and check it with a magnifying glass and see if there are any bent ones.

durko
Journeyman III

I have a same problem. I noticed the problem 6 years ago now. I'm pressing the F1 button all the time when I start my computer without any performance problem so I think If you continue to use the “disable Wait for 'F1' If Error it's not a problem.

0 Likes