Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ddmeltzer8
Adept I

what do AMD mean by TDP?

Hi.

I wonder what AMD means by TDP,how they calculate it and how i can use the TDP number myself.Im specifically thinking about the 3700x.

(hope this is the right place for this)

Thanks.

0 Likes
19 Replies

Thermal Design Power, it's a measure of the amount of heat a product is expected to produce. How it's calculated varies between manufacturer and the method they use is not disclosed.

0 Likes

I want to know how AMD calculates it.

Cheers.

0 Likes

As I said before, AMD doesn't disclose how they calculate TDP.

0 Likes

Well,some disclose it.Like Intel.

And if they dont disclose it,how do u know they calculate it differently?

0 Likes

Because AMD's TDP rating is generally closer to the outright lies Intel uses.

0 Likes

Hows that?If u dont even know how they calculate it.

When u say that someone is deceitful u should at least offer up some kind of explanation.All big companies lie,AMD lies,Intel lies.Nvidia lies and everyone else,too!

AMD did a few very bad stunts during Ryzen 3000 marketing cycle/launch.Ex,they said that we could expect quite a bit higher clock speeds than what was listed,in that infamous video.It turned out that very few could even get the listed speeds!Im sure u remember that.

They all do this shit.Thats why i want to see,for myself how they get their numbers.Id be interested to see the "outright lies Intel uses"i fu have a link.

Cheers.

0 Likes

amdmatt‌ can take it from here.

0 Likes

What do u mean?

0 Likes

They absolutely do disclose it.

TDP (Watts) = (tCase°C - tAmbient°C)/(HSF ϴca)

• tCase°C: Optimal temperature for the die/heatspreader junction to achieve rated performance.

• tAmbient°C: Optimal temperature at the HSF fan inlet to achieve rated performance.

• HSF ϴca (°C/W): The minimum °C per Watt rating of the heatsink to achieve rated performance.

Thanks,man.Im so fed up with people commenting on stuff they know little.Il give the post a read.

Cheers.

0 Likes
atlasminor
Challenger

You won't have to worry about TDP if your building a custom PC, well you will and you won't. The mainboard you purchase or plan to use already is configured to handle the hardware you plan to install onto it and TDP is assigned to ALL chips including CPU, GPU and all board system chips, which will be located on the specs of the board.

If your trying to replace the CPU with the newer then you might worry a little, because the socket might be locked to a certain wattage or if there isn't enough memory Space built into the board itself that is when you need to worry.

You dont mention what config but your question is based on purchasing a 3700x-CPU.

PCIe space registers are mapped to memory locations located on board based on specs, a fully unlocked main stream board from a known manufacture such as EVGA or MSI ect ... preference wont matter , will have a hardware listing of all parts for all configurations listed on the main websites along with listed amount of SPACE based on the chipsets <<< this determines over-all cooling and TDP. From how i understand it.

Finding the actual SPACE registered toward the entire board is going to difficult to find and might have to place actual phone calls to find out info, this is why so many people copy/paste builds.

And to think im knee deep in debt and went to college for this, shs

I think this is more were your question was asking. So, basically your CPU will be the major conflict when your considering TDP alongside the amount of hardware and the configurations it can handle at once, which most lower to mid range CPU's are limited way more than a person might think. So example if its running Up to just (1) config of  1-1x16 or 1- 2x8 or 1-x4+2x4 slots your TDP is going to be extremely limited and semi-locked wasn't really a option by a manufacture.

Most pre-builts today market is (1-1x16  + 1- 2x8)  OR ( (1-1x16 + 1- x8 + another 1- x1) <=> Limited Why they are still using PCI x1 slots on new pre-builts , not sure

But allowing  Max # of PCI Express Lanes 16 ( based on a newer xxx gen i7-7400 cpu) The AMD Ryzen 7 would be the AMD version of this , sort of.

I almost go off topic here because  a GPU CPU and system chips all go hand in hand for  TDP .... The TDP is not the maximum power consumed by processor, but it allows ((CPU ( cooler manufactures)) for VGA to size their GPU coolers.

Like what was first said, the actual info about all this never was explained to consumers, Main board manufactures like AmericanTrend and AMI or some other third-party getting in on the action can use the number to create some stuff ,lol i have to laugh how that came out but its about as true as it gets

So calculated off wattage and the heat dissipation that is known and tested combined to give a rough estimate to start calculating to rest of the specs like tJunc and over all system performance based on max running times.

As far as using TDP to your advantage? Thats why people get into overclocking , which if thats your intent PLEASE link the board you plan to socket your new AMD 3700x into

Technicall you dont use TDP to your advantage , its a label placed on box to allow people to get a idea of what CPU's the board might take and vice-versa ... what board the CPU can be socketed to.

This is why people shell out tons of cash and all we can do is hope the manufactures all evolved, knew what the H they were doing. TDP= Power which is Wattage Max of CPU on a manufactures standard based on testing and manufacturing of the chip.

Default TDP is 65w and Unlocked for the 3700x 8 cores, this isnt your everyday consumer CPU.

What was your intent for the use of such a powerful CPU?

0 Likes

What i want to know is what it actually means and how its calculated.Its easy to find how Intel calculates their TDP but i cant find anything about how AMD does it.

Thanks for responding,though.

0 Likes

And who said anything about buying a GPU?R u replying to the right question?

Cheers.

0 Likes

I didnt mention GPU maybe once in the entire response. Its clear your misunderstanding TDP altogether, i gave a basic explanation to a very complicated question.

The ( Basic ) definition is - The thermal design power (TDP), sometimes called thermal design point, is the maximum amount of heat generated by a computer chip or component (often a CPU, GPU, or System chip) that the cooling system in a computer is designed to dissipate under any workload.

If you see the GPU mentioned in a TDP response anywhere on the internet, intra-net, or deep web. Now whats this really about, your question was answered, Intel has tightly closed door than any educational facility could offer.

Is this a whistle blower entrapment thread?

For real dude, chill i answered politely .  And yes , whistle blower is a real thing and you might take what you can get out of a community forum generously.

0 Likes

Pleas be sure to click the hyper-link HEAT in my reply, scroll down to Classical thermodynamics. That would be a good start to basic calculation of TDP and Heat generation.

But i do like the topic , best CPU question i heard in long time

0 Likes

I cant find this reply in the forum.Did u delete it?

Thanks for responding.

0 Likes

Its very difficult to follow ur points,maybe cus of ur english.(no offence)

I only wanted to know how amd calculates TDP,which no one has been able to explain to me...

And what has any of this to do with whistleblowers???

(i mention GPU quite a lot,by the way)

0 Likes

np M8,

Na, im Mid-America , but getting to old toand use a short hand typing style, although cell-phones seem to cut way to short.

My reply had a website link in it, and the server takes awhile to post, it should be visible now. I might not be understanding the question but there really is only one TDP definition.

I guess people will have to know your intent on using TDP to your advantage.

Could you explain how you want to try and use TDP to your advantage, it is a mystery .

0 Likes

Again,im not looking for the definition but how they calculate it.

But dont let this bother u,no one else seem to be able to answer,either.

0 Likes