Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

fexell
Adept I

Weird sound from the AMD Wraith Prism fan

Hello,

Ever since I got my computer (2-3 weeks ago), the fan has had this weird sound. It is especially bad when playing games and annoys me a fair amount. I have recorded this sound and uploaded to my soundcloud, so I will provide the link here (if possible). You can hear the weird sound around 8-10 seconds in and then in the background throughout the rest of the recording. It is a lot worse when gaming, since it seems that it has to be spinning in a certain speed for it to be consistent.

Here is the soundcloud link: Röst 001 by Fexell | Free Listening on SoundCloud 

Tags (1)
16 Replies
misterj
Exemplar

Re: Weird sound from the AMD Wraith Prism fan

fexell, I suggest you contact your seller, ask them to listen and request an RMA.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

The Wraith Prism CPU Cooler is fairly noisy compared to other CPU Coolers. I, personally, didn't hear anything out of the ordinary except hearing the fan increase in speed and noise. As per Tom's Hardware review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-review,5571-13.html 

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

The AMD thermal pad is not so spectacular, I used MX-4 and my cooler is quite quiet. Unless I am playing a CPU depending game which is rare. Games warm up the video card, the CPU is more of a sideshow

0 Likes
fexell
Adept I

I guess. This is the only PC I have though. So, I'm thinking of buying a different CPU cooler all together.

0 Likes
fexell
Adept I

At around 8-10 seconds into the audio there is a small buzzing sound. That buzzing sound is present during games where the machine is under more stress. It definitely doesn't sound right.

0 Likes
fexell
Adept I

Yeah, as expected. I have run stress tests on both the GPU and CPU to be absolutely sure where the problem lies. It's only during CPU stress test where that sound is produced. The audio recording is from one of these tests.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

My hearing is not very good so I really didn't hear the buzzing sound. If the Retailer that sold you your Computer won't replace the Wraith Prism under Warranty, they should, if they have Good Customer relations, be able to replace it.  

You can always take a chance with online AMD Warranty Request and see if they will replace it under Warranty once you upload proof that the retailer won't replace it. You open a ticket from here: AMD Warranty Request Form | AMD 

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

fexell wrote:

Yeah, as expected. I have run stress tests on both the GPU and CPU to be absolutely sure where the problem lies. It's only during CPU stress test where that sound is produced. The audio recording is from one of these tests.

make sure the fan is not fouled with dust etc

installing a chassis fan or 3 can help a lot too

0 Likes
shervin
Journeyman III

It might be a Windows power setting that needs to be changed.

This video worked for me: https://youtu.be/6NcZCMu5kCw

0 Likes