cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Kumicho
Adept I

Weird noise Threadripper 3960x and MSI Creator TRX40

I build a new machine today with a Threadripper 3960x and MSI Creator TRX40 Motherboard. I was trying to solve some problems with the airflow when I realized a weird noise. The noise comes from the CPU socket, I dont know if this is a problem with the CPU, the motherboard or just a normal noise. I took a video, the mic is pointting the back of CPU socket , sorry for bad quality and blurry video. Use headphones. ¿Should I ask for a RMA?

https://youtu.be/os6oKBi5W_4

Ive made a clear CMOS and didnt solve the problem. Ive tried Ryzen Master and nothing. Ive tried to change the CPU ratio and the noise becomes less noticiable, but Ive lost AMD Precision Boost, regardless the noise still there.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Generally Coil Whine comes from High powered hardware like the PSU and GPU card.  But if the VRM has some Capacitors or Inductors that aren't high quality it could cause coil whine.

From a tech site concerning Coil Whine:

Coil whine sometimes gets attributed to capacitors and gets called capacitor squeal. While capacitors can generate high frequency sounds, in the vast majority of cases, the high pitched sound in your computer is caused by inductor coils.

VRM, PSU & GPU all have Capacitors and inductors that could cause coil whine.

I read that Motherboard Coil Whine won't affect the operation of the Motherboard in any way which is probably why the Manufacturer may not accept a RMA for your motherboard.

I read that in some BIOS with High-end Motherboards you can adjust the VRM and try to see if the noise lessens. But be aware you can make the VRM less efficient and cause it to run hotter.

If the noise is really loud and annoying MSI might replace the Motherboard under Warranty. Need to open a MSI Support Warranty ticket to find out.

Make sure the Coil Whine is not coming from the PSU or GPU card (Most common sources of Coil Whine).

View solution in original post

4 Replies

My guess it is coming from an electronic part on your motherboard or a Motherboard embedded fan or your CPU Cooler Fan:

Screenshot 2021-01-15 081712.png

No noise should come from the CPU socket since there isn't any moving parts unless the CPU was slightly loose and vibrating from the CPU Cooler.

Most likely it is the CPU Cooler fan. You can check this out yourself by stopping it for one second and see if the noise stops. Or it could also be the Motherboard's cooling fan.

Ive stopped every fan manually and didnt notice any change, the fan in the motherboard is already stopped.

The sound comes frome the CPU socket zone, wich is near the VRMs. Im checking it right now and you are probably right, the noise comes from the VRMs zone. In addition the noise ir very "electrical", not phisical (as you can hear in the video), moreover the sound goes down a little when I modify the clock ratio in the BIOS. So I pretty much sure thats is electrical noise (coil whine).

What Im concern now is if this can affect to the CPU, to the system stability and future durability...and if MSI will do an RMA.

Generally Coil Whine comes from High powered hardware like the PSU and GPU card.  But if the VRM has some Capacitors or Inductors that aren't high quality it could cause coil whine.

From a tech site concerning Coil Whine:

Coil whine sometimes gets attributed to capacitors and gets called capacitor squeal. While capacitors can generate high frequency sounds, in the vast majority of cases, the high pitched sound in your computer is caused by inductor coils.

VRM, PSU & GPU all have Capacitors and inductors that could cause coil whine.

I read that Motherboard Coil Whine won't affect the operation of the Motherboard in any way which is probably why the Manufacturer may not accept a RMA for your motherboard.

I read that in some BIOS with High-end Motherboards you can adjust the VRM and try to see if the noise lessens. But be aware you can make the VRM less efficient and cause it to run hotter.

If the noise is really loud and annoying MSI might replace the Motherboard under Warranty. Need to open a MSI Support Warranty ticket to find out.

Make sure the Coil Whine is not coming from the PSU or GPU card (Most common sources of Coil Whine).

I quickly discard the GPU because it cames from another computer, and never give me the coil whine problem.

The PSU, if I put my ear next to it, I can barely hear a noise, definityle is not the source. And the "noise" is rather normal for a PSU.

The noise comes from the VRMs. Im going to try with MSI because this is a new motherboard, and a very expensive one. I didnt expect this kind of problems.

I feel that the noise isnt normal at all, its not simply annoying, I think Its realated with the quality and durability of a expensive product, deisgned in theory for work perfectly in this demanding envioroments.

Thanks for your help.