cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

idontmissmyxbox
Journeyman III

Weird issue with 3700X and Task Manager

Hello, I have my 3700X manually overclocked to 4.2ghz with 1.275v. During idle all my cores go to sleep except core 7, the issue is that this core always stays maxed out at 4.2ghz even if there are 1% processes running. The weird part comes when I open the task manager, as soon as I open task manager then the core will go down to about 300-400mhz assuming I'm idle.

Because of core 7 always being maxed on idle, my idle temperatures are around 42-45c but as soon as I open task manager then the core goes down and my idle temps go down to about 30-32c.

So pretty much having task manager open = normal idle behavior. As soon as I close task manager, core boosts up all the way to 4.2ghz right away. I have the latest AMD chipsets, latest motherboard bios (X370 Taichi). I have PBO and Core Boost off in the bios. Not sure why I'm getting this type of behavior unless there's something I'm missing?

0 Likes
2 Replies
shinkojiro
Miniboss

Sounds like you have an evil-doer on your system that hides its activity when you open something that can show activity.

Wow. Because I usually don't download random files off the internet,etc I didn't even think of this but I did a Malwarebytes scan and turned out there were two types of Bitcoin/crypto related mining malwares on my PC. After removing them the PC now acts like it should during idle. Thanks bud!