Adept II

Weird 3900X Performance Freezes

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060 w/ 6GB VRAM

CPU: Ryzen 3900X

Motherboard: MSI X570 ACE

RAM: Samsung NVMe 970 32 GB

PSU: EVGA 750W

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 x64 (v10.0.18362.476)

GPU Drivers: v441.41

Chipset Drivers: AMD Chipset v1.11.22.454

Background Applications: Avira, Sync.com

Troubleshooting: All other background apps were terminated or prevented from starting, with no effect.

Hi - I have a new Ryzen 3900X-based system that I recently built.

I have been trying to get my system idle CPU temperature low and stable. After initially installing Win10, my idle CPU temperature would shoot up to 52 DegC and then drop to about 36 DegC, cycling this way every 7 seconds.

To get my CPU temperature down, I found a post in a forum that recommended enabling Precision Boost Overdrive in Ryzen Master, and then selecting the Win10 Power Saver power profile.

At first, this looked like the perfect solution! My idle CPU temperature dropped down to 33 DegC, and didn't fluctuate at all. Ryzen Master showed about half of the cores randomly going into "Sleep" mode. Running some benchmark tests showed that the CPU would immediately boost to 4200 MHz when needed and Vcore would rise as high as 1.35 VDC.

All seemed good, but then I noticed something weird: Certain apps and activities seemed to "freeze" for no apparent reason. For example, I tried installing an application, and it froze at 78% during the install for over 10 minutes! Loading a saved configuration into a different application took about 90 seconds, where previously it would load in about 30 seconds. When I set the power profile back to Ryzen Balanced, these freezes would not occur - but then my CPU temperatures started fluctuating again.

I don't know if this is a CPU issue, a memory or SSD access issue, or X570 chipset issue.

Does anyone know what is going on? Is there another setting in Ryzen Master or my BIOS that I need to adjust?

Thanks,

AzJazz

0 Likes
1 Solution

azjazz,  if there are any OC applications installed in your system, please remove them.  MB vendors like to OC your system without your knowledge.  I will go further than James, whose recommendations and good.  Please do a Clear CMOS to remove any left over settings.  Run the W10 Balanced Power plan.  1usmus is a really good guy and I am running his modified BIOS now on my 2990WX.  Once we understand what is going on then you can do whatever.  Ryzen, in particular jumps the clocks and therefor the core voltage and temperatures.  This is quite normal.  Please be sure to post an RM shot - chock full of good information.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
14 Replies

Would advice you reset everything to defaults in the bios and only change settings like your enabling xmp profile and disabling csm, you should also reset all settings in RyzenMaster and not bother with enabling pbo as that will actually raise your temps instead.

The lowered idle temps you had was mostly due to you using power saver plan but that profile does have some downsides, like your cores/threads taking longer to reach its rated boost speeds or that you may sometimes experience stuttering in some app or games when it starts to boost, Its why most would reccomend keeping your chipset drivers up to date then just modifying the Ryzen Balanced Power plan that comes with it.

To modify that power, just click on the change plan settings beside the Ryzen balanced power plan then click Change advanced power settings, scroll down and look for an option that says Processor power management and change the minimum state to 85% and leave the max to 100%. you can lower the minimum state even more to get slightly lower idle temps but 85% seems to be the sweet spot for performance, btw Power Saver plan has its minimum set to 5%, thats why you have very low idle temps with it.

There is also another power plan that you can try but it requires that you have the latest 1.0.0.4b bios, its the custom power plan made by 1usmus. That power plan does require you to change some settings in the bios though but some have reported having slightly better performance and idle temps with it compared to Ryzen Balanced, Tried it myself but only saw some minor improvements to performance, Though 1usmus did say that his power plan was better for apps/games that uses only 4 cores, he has a post about it somewhere detailing on why it is that way but forgot where it was that i read it, You can check out that power plan here if you want to give it a try.

Thanks, James!

Are you recommending that I go to Ryzen Master, and setting the profile to Default?

I set Ryzen Master to Default, set PBO and CSM to Disabled in the BIOS, and set the the Win10 Ryzen Balanced minimum processor to 85%, and I am seeing my temperature (and fans) fluctuate by about 9 DegC every few seconds again.

AzJazz

0 Likes

azjazz,  if there are any OC applications installed in your system, please remove them.  MB vendors like to OC your system without your knowledge.  I will go further than James, whose recommendations and good.  Please do a Clear CMOS to remove any left over settings.  Run the W10 Balanced Power plan.  1usmus is a really good guy and I am running his modified BIOS now on my 2990WX.  Once we understand what is going on then you can do whatever.  Ryzen, in particular jumps the clocks and therefor the core voltage and temperatures.  This is quite normal.  Please be sure to post an RM shot - chock full of good information.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

You incorrectly stated the the Iumus power plan requires 1.0.04  agesa code. That is NOT true. His notes indicate that it will benefit all bioses

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

azjazz, please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop image into your reply.  NVMe memory makes no sense.  Tell us part numbers and count.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Oops misterj, you're absolutely right - I mistakenly put my Samsung SSD under the RAM area. That's what I get for putting this message together late at night.

My RAM is 2 x 16 GB of Corsair Vengeance 3200 DDR4 (P/N: CMK32GX4M2B3200C16)

Here is a screenshot of Ryzen Master:

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Thanks, azjazz.  It looks fine to me but not much is going on right now.  What CPU cooler are you using?  I suggest to run Cinebench R20 and watch RM.  Post us a picture also, please.  Is you system behaving OK right now?  The temperature looks a little high for the activity.  Is the heat sink attach properly and tightly?  I run all my fans (and pump) at full speed but they are big, slow and quiet - current CPU is 36C.  Please let me know where to go from here.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT:

pastedImage_1.jpg

0 Likes

My CPU cooler is a Noctua NH-D15 with 2 fans.

Currently, my CPU temperature cyclically spikes instantaneously up to around 46 DegC then slowly drops down to the upper 30's about every 8 seconds. Ryzen Master doesn't show the temperature spikes, but my motherboard LED temperature display and HWInfo64 both show the spikes. I suspect that RM is slightly filtering its temperature display. If I disable the CPU speed boosting in the BIOS, the motherboard LED displayed temp and RM temperature match and track. 

I think that the NH-D15 is installed properly. I made sure that the Noctua thermal compound thinly covered the entire top of the CPU, and the spring loaded screws were tight. There was some cooler slipping when I did the installation due to the high tension springs. I could attempt a reinstallation, if you think it would help. 

I will run Cinbench when I get home tonight and post pics.

AzJazz

0 Likes

Hi, John - I just got home, and checked my settings. I reset my BIOS, then I set PBO and CMS to Disabled in the BIOS.I rebooted, and made sure that Ryzen Balanced was my Win10 power profile. Ryzen Master is set to Default.

My CPU is running a lot hotter now, approximately 7 DegC hotter (periodically cycling every few seconds between 53 DegC and dropping to 44). Since I reset my BIOS, my fans aren't running as high (about 200 Hz less), but that wouldn't cause this much of a temperature difference. I will go into the BIOS and adjust my CPU fan to run more, but I think something else is going on.

Here is my Ryzen Master snapshot when I ran Cinebench R20 with the new settings:

pastedImage_1.png

Cheers,

AzJazz

0 Likes

Thanks, azjazz. All the RED at the top is causing throttling.  Do not run HWinfo, it is part of the problem!  You will need to decide whether to increase limits, not sure about CPU Power (New).  I will do some more thinking.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
os2wiz
Elite

Do NOT use Ryzen Master nor AMD balanced . Use Iumus power plan. It is on the techpowerup.com website. I also suggest reverting to 1.0.0.3 abba agesa code I used to have the MSI Ace motherboard until2 weeks ago. Get off the new agesa code and the 2 latest bios releases. They are the cause of all your problems. Demand that AMD correct the issues they caused by catering to the gamers boost clock issues which are unnecessary to fix except for highly competitive gamers. I manually overclock on all cores.  I havebeen using AMD for the last 20 years and have bought Ryzen cpus generation1 , 2, and 3. I have bought and used several motherboards from MSI over the past 3 years, and previously used the Asus ROG Crosshair IV and 5 when Bulldozer was around. Your bestwebsite for info on Ryzen are the forums on overclock.net 

0 Likes
azjazz
Adept II

Well, I did some experimenting. I reflashed my BIOS back to the latest 1.0.0.4 version (to be able to use the v1.1 1usmus power profile), and disabled PBO.

I found a small spare SSD drive, and reinstalled a recent copy of Win10x64 v1909 onto the drive. I installed the latest AMD chipset drivers.

I didn't install Ryzen Master or any of the MSI drivers/applications.

I selected the "stock" Win10 Ryzen Balanced power profile. (I also later tried 1usmus' Universal power profile with the recommended changes to the CPU Features in the BIOS)

With basically nothing much installed, my CPU temperature was roughly around 31-32 DegC (based on my mobo LED display), with an occasional spike up to around 45 DegC, where it would gradually drop back again to the low 30s. Most of the time, it hung around the low 30's. So, that was good.

I gradually started to reinstall apps, checking the temperature reading after each app to see if there was an effect.

BTW ... HWInfo64 is fine - It doesn't impact the CPU temperature, and the HWInfo desktop gadgets are fine, too. I didn't see any issues with additional temperature spikes when HWInfo was running. So, I could watch and manage the impacts of applications with the desktop widgets.

Unfortunately, I think that I may be chasing the impossible with the Ryzen 3900X. I am primarily looking for the CPU temperature to hang mostly in the low 30's when idle, but I found out shortly after the initial setup that this may not be feasible.

I slowly installed apps, and when I installed my anti-virus (Avira), I started seeing the frequent cyclic temperature spikes again.

I uninstalled Avira, and the spikes dropped again, but I when I installed Acronis True Image 2017, the spikes started up again. From what I am seeing, the 3rd Gen Ryzen CPU is just too sensitive to too many programs to be able to get a mostly stable low idle temperature and still have the capability for the cores to overclock.

Am I missing something here? Or, maybe my cooler does need to be reinstalled?

AzJazz

0 Likes

Thanks, azjazz.  I do not have a clue what you really want.  The important problem was the hangs, not a few degrees.  Are the hangs gone?  What is your ambient temperatures.  You will always have a differential between CPU and ambient.  Expecting 30C in most places is not reasonable and serves little purpose.  Your maximum is 95C and can easily run in the 80Cs and 90Cs continuously.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
azjazz
Adept II

Hi, John - Thanks for all the support! I'll mark this thread "closed". As I mentioned in my first post, I was trying to get my CPU temperature low and stable, but when I did get the temperature low and stable with Core Performance Boost enabled, - I saw the freezes occurring. The recommended BIOS changes and power profiles did get rid of the freezes (so - closing this thread), but my CPU temperatures are fluctuating wildly again and average temperature much higher, which is a different topic.

Thanks again,

AzJazz

0 Likes