cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

adauphin
Adept I

Warranty on new CPU if not original purchaser

Curious if I purchase a NIB CPU from someone that has the purchase receipt, will I be able to use the 3-year warranty?

What if it was purchased from Amazon and the sales receipt would not have my info on it, could I still keep the warranty?

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

AMD Warranty is only good to the original purchaser and is not transferable.

Without an Official Receipt showing the Original Owner and date of purchase from the Retailer you won't be able to open an AMD Warranty unless AMD ask for some other proof that you are the Original Purchaser.

Mainly you need to receive  an Official sealed AMD Retail box with the processor.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

AMD Warranty is only good to the original purchaser and is not transferable.

Without an Official Receipt showing the Original Owner and date of purchase from the Retailer you won't be able to open an AMD Warranty unless AMD ask for some other proof that you are the Original Purchaser.

Mainly you need to receive  an Official sealed AMD Retail box with the processor.

The processor would be sealed, unused, with original receipt. I guess another way of looking at it is being a gift.

0 Likes

Does the Original Receipt show your name as the Original Owner and purchaser?

If it doesn't then AMD Warranty is  voided.

Besides a gift in the respect someone else purchased the processor and gave it to you still shows that you are not the original purchaser of the processor.

But as mentioned if you live in Europe, Europe has it own Customer Consumer policies concerning Warranties which I believe its 2 years but that doesn't involve AMD Warranty. Plus not sure if that includes Used merchandise unless sold through a European Retailer/Vendor.

0 Likes

@elstaci wrote:

Does the Original Receipt show your name as the Original Owner and purchaser?

If it doesn't then AMD Warranty is  voided.

Besides a gift in the respect someone else purchased the processor and gave it to you still shows that you are not the original purchaser of the processor.

Thank you for that clarification.

To be honest, sorry to sound callous, but that's a pretty poor way to do business.

I get the fact it's hard to tell if it was ever used before, but a new, sealed unit, will all documentation, should be enough. Especially if AMD honors this outside the U.S.

I can see how this could aid in reducing bot purchases, but if all is authentic........?

I appreciate the replies.

0 Likes

Look the best way to verify whether your gift processor in a sealed box is covered by AMD Warranty open a AMD Service Request -Warranty ticket and ask them from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Here is AMD official Warranty policy of AMD Retail Box processors: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-03

Screenshot 2020-12-25 170734.png

So as long as the processor you get wasn't bought by anyone else than AMD Warranty is in effect.

Most Manufacturers Warranties, at least for GPUs and CPUs, aren't transferable to a 2nd party buyer. Some are but most aren't.

0 Likes

poor business? you mean capitalism? (dont get me started on the new rise of manchester-capitalism around the globe)

in USA it has to be YOUR name and it has to be signed and send to AMD
in EU your just need the receipt (or a copy of it)

;)

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

@benman2785 

I believe you are confusing EU Consumer guarantee to AMD Warranty.

Here is EU Consumer Guarantee which is for 2 years if qualify: https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/dealing-with-customers/consumer-contracts-guarantees/consumer-...

Here is partial explanation of above EU Consumer policy:

Screenshot 2020-12-25 180529.png

i am not confusing it - i just said that in Europe he will have some form of warranty (even if its technical not AMD warranty - which in the long run it actually is)

btw - merry christmas ;)

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS

Merry Christmas to you also and hopefully a better New Year's.

@benman2785 wrote:

poor business? you mean capitalism? 

Somewhat I suppose, and I want to clarify that I'm not directing that to AMD as whole, but to the warranty practice.

I love AMD, have a few systems and plan to build one for parents that are out of state. That's the issue, if I pass off a new system to the parents, they cannot register the new component on initial use and maintain a warranty.

The only work around for that is have whoever you are going to build the PC to purchase the processors themselves and then ship it to you to install and build the PC for them.

Or if they have any issues with the Processors have them send it back to you to RMA it under AMD Warranty since you are the original Owner.

AMD  doesn't require or need for you to register the processor in AMD. When you open a AMD Warranty ticket they will know by the official Retailer's Receipt you upload and Serial Number and model number that is inputted when the Warranty Request is made. 

0 Likes
benman2785
Big Boss

if you are in EU you will inherite the warranty.
most other places: no warranty

0 Likes