Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ddmeltzer8
Adept I

very unstable 3700x temperatures

hey.

im seeing some very unstable temps in afterburner.theyre not high but go from 37 to 52 in a second.its the same whether idling or running programs,tho worse when running stuff.attachment is in idle.

specs;

3700x

aorus master x570

2x8gb 3200/cl16

fractal celsius s24 cooler and well ventilated case

win 10 running on nvme

i just want some stable temps,which should be quite doable,i think.

thanks for any responses in advance.

19 Replies

Temperature floating back and forth is very normal with these processors. If you are staying under 80 under load you are golden. My 3700x runs at a max of about 73 under load with a CM 212 Evo. 

0 Likes

from what iv seen this is far from normal.

thanks,tho.

0 Likes

Well it has with every one I have seen and in every review I have seen too. If you think your processor has an issue then RMA it. 

0 Likes

Whats it show in Ryzen Master? 

0 Likes

it stabilizes as soon as i open RM.

0 Likes

RM is the Accurate one for temps. 

0 Likes

they both show the same temps.

0 Likes

Sorry I just saw your question. I didn't notice it over the past couple days but this thread has had several comments.

Ryzen Master always shows the temp as much more consistent and doesn't ever show the temperature spiking fluctuation. Most the 3rd party apps show per core temp fluctuations like core temp, hwinfo will jump around a lot from one second to the next. When Zen 2 first came out core temp was way off IMHO in reporting temp. Then AMD came out and said that 3rd party apps would need to be updated as the way Zen2 reports temp is very different than earlier architectures. I would imagine that with those changes that even with updated apps that are now supposedly Zen 2 compatible that it still may not be measuring, polling or averaging the temps even in the same way that AMD is in Ryzen Master. I don't put too much worry in these apps numbers beyond if I was to start seeing a change that was not normal for my system and then I would go to Ryzen Master and see what is really happening according to AMD's software.

The OP reported they were seeing this fluctuation in Afterburner. I see it in Core Temp and HWINFO myself, but don't see it as abnormal as temps are always way under thermal limits.

0 Likes

These are taken seconds apart from each other.

0 Likes

then would u mind sending me where the same temp fluctuations r seen?

thanks.

0 Likes

I run core temp all the time and see the temps fluctuate but I can see this behavior in any app that monitors temp per core and has been updated to be Zen2 compatible. A lot of traditional apps were not reporting temp right at all when Zen2 came out and really scared people. Most the top apps have however now been updated including core temp. I can see at idle per core it constantly changing temp from between 32 and about 46 at idle.  It will do the same thing under load. My 2xxx series processors did not do this. That doesn't make it abnormal, just how  Zen 2 works. AMD as well as all the top hardware sites have acknowledged many times over the fact that this architecture does not behave like any processors before them. For me I have seen no issue, stability or otherwise. 

Is is possible your situation is different is and is really best decided by you. If you think you have an issue, AMD will likely help you with an RMA. 

0 Likes

These threads have a lot of good explanation within them of this normal Ryzen 3xxx behavior and why.

Ryzen 3600 idle temperature fluctuation? | TechPowerUp Forums 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/d54ztx/temp_fluctuations_3700x/ 

0 Likes

If my coffee is cold then its adequately cool. Check in BIOS and see what it has to say about CPU temperature.

0 Likes

in bios its stable.but why does it matter?

0 Likes

ddmeltzer8 wrote:

in bios its stable.but why does it matter?

A lot of "tools" are not reading the DMI otr SM bus properly.

0 Likes

and what does that mean?

0 Likes

ddmeltzer8 wrote:

and what does that mean?

The BIOS in all of my machines shows the fan speeds and thermal sensors properly.

Some software poll the SM bus which needs a COM interface in windows

0 Likes
ddmeltzer8
Adept I

this is maybe the worst forum iv ever gotten "answers" from.lol!just a bunch of clowns who know little of what theyre saying.

0 Likes

Quote "this is maybe the worst forum iv ever gotten "answers" from.lol!just a bunch of clowns who know little of what theyre saying."

So everyone is giving you the same answer,but we are the "clowns" ?

0 Likes