Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

feckie
Adept I

Very High PPT, SOC Power & Low CPU Frequency - 3900X - Win11

Hi

I have a system running windows 11, in last the week (Only noticed it today though), the PPT & SOC Power are at very high levels. At the same time the CPU frequency is very low (currently 538 Mhz)

The figures from Ryzen Master also match HwInfo64

PPT = 109% of 142W

SOC Power = 97.875W

Peak Speed - 534 Mhz

Temp = 47.36c

I have tried the following:

- Windows Updates

- Updates from AMD Website

- Updates from Asus

- Defaulted Bios (Only thing changed was DOCP)

- Uninstalled Sophos (Was installed last week)

- Uninstalled other apps (That were from last week)

Specs

- AMD 3900X

- Asus Crosshair VIII Impact

- Gigabyte 2070 RTX

- 32GB 3200Mhz Corsair (Dont know model)

Overall the system is extremely sluggish and the frequency barely pass 600Mhz. Need some advice on where to investigate.

0 Likes
6 Replies

Have you tried changing Windows or Ryzen Power plans?

Also try changing the Power plans settings concerning the CPU and other settings to see if it affects your PPT and CPU power usage in Ryzen Master.

In whichever you power plan you are using or change too configure the settings and make sure the Processor's Minimum State is at 5% and the Maximum Processor's State is at 100%.

0 Likes

Hi Elstaci

I had tried all the power options.

Good news is that after 8 hours of being turned off, the PC returned to normal.

Will monitor it and see what happens.

Sounds like a hardware was drawing a lot of power and after cooling off for 8 hours it reset itself. Could also be one of the changes you made in the Power plan.

All GPU & CPU temperatures are normal correct, not overheating?

0 Likes

Hi Elstaci

Not sure what it was but it wasn't the power plan (Tried all of them including restarting in between).

It wasn't overheating either. The temps were not high as described before, but this is because the clock speed was really low.

The CPU was idle with everything turned off.

GPU was fine as well.

IIRC other forums had users replacing hardware to solve this so i will just have to keep an eye on it.

aemondis
Adept I

I'm fascinated to see an identical issue to mine, also with Windows 11 and an Asus board. Whilst the key difference in my case being I'm running a Dark Hero and a 5950x. I get the identical behaviour however.

https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/5950x-win11-maxed-out-ppt-edc-tdc-610mhz/td-p/497744 

One thing I've noticed is that disabling PBO eliminates the issue, completely. It also, in my at least, seems to operate more responsively (lower latency, or so it "feels"). This is all anecdotal though, but I do use it a lot and to me, I notice an improved general "snappiness" with PBO disabled on W11. The opposite is true in W10 though, so there is possibly something to this...

Maybe try disabling PBO and see if it improves your situation? I suspect there's an interaction causing issues with the SMC, Windows 11 (the scheduler) and possibly the AMD chipset driver. The power plan doesn't make any difference in my case. Usually the system is idling when the low CPU frequency/high PPT issue appears - and I can confirm the system is running just above room temp, and is drawing idle power draw despite the crazy high PPT etc. values.

Not sure if you've experienced it, but the other issue I've had that only occurs when PBO is enabled is a sudden random hard crash and the MEM error LED lights up (ironically, this happened just as I hovered my mouse over the "Reply" button to write this comment no more than 5 minutes ago! I enabled PBO about 5 hours ago, so I've disabled it again). AC power switch is required to recover that crash, as even the power button and reset buttons stop working. This occurs usually within 12 hours of enabling PBO on my system, but never occurs with PBO off.

0 Likes

You just saved my ASS!!!!

0 Likes