Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Egodeist
Adept I

Upgrading CPU - not working, need advice

Hi guys,

Need a little advice here as I'm having trouble with an upgrade and the new CPU doesn't appear to be working.

Long story short:

Using an ASRock A320M-HDV and swapped out AMD Ryzen 3 3200g with an AMD Ryzen 5 3600*. Booted up, monitor is blank and reports 'no video input'. Shutdown and put old CPU back in and computer boots up fine.

*Listed as compatible CPU with motherboard.

Long story long:

This was the third stage in a three stage upgrade.

1. Upgraded PSU to EVGA 650W Bronze. Booted up okay.

2. Then upgraded GPU to old 1080Ti, booted up okay. Updated drivers and restarted, all okay.

3. Swapped out CPU (used thermal paste, replaced heatsink and fan with the one in the box), rebooted and nothing going on on the monitor - lights are on, fans are spinning but no one is home.

Boots up okay again with old CPU.

Tried swapping it out again in case I didn't seat the new CPU correctly, booted up and again and blank.

Have swapped back to old CPU and everything is working fine. 

What am I missing?

TIA.

Vince

0 Likes
2 Solutions
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Long reply short: BIOS UPDATE

The Englishman

View solution in original post

0 Likes

The BIOS is defaulting to Internal Graphics, i.e. the APU. You can clear the CMOS via a jumper on the motherboard, and the computer should POST with the External Graphics card. Enter the BIOS and look for External Graphics. Upgrading the BIOS (on most motherboards) clears the CMOS - automatically.

Ryzen 5 Pro 4650g, ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4/ac, 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600MHz, SAMSUNG 970 EVO NVMe 500GB, Super Flower Leadex III Gold 850W

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Long reply short: BIOS UPDATE

The Englishman
0 Likes

Are you saying that you are not getting any video outputs when you install the Ryzen 3600 CPU or no video outputs during POST only and then get video output when Windows starts to load?

Do you get video output during POST (when booting up) but not when Windows loads up or no video at all?

Have you tried different video Outputs from your Nvidia 1080ti GPU card to see if you get video output?

Do you have the latest Nvidia GPU driver installed?

I would update the BIOS and CHIPSET on your motherboard and GPU card if is older than a year.

0 Likes

After installing the 3600, no video output at all - black screen on boot, unable to get to windows (I presume).

Latest drivers installed on the GPU.

Will crank up the bios as this is sounding like the culprit. 

Thanks 

The BIOS is defaulting to Internal Graphics, i.e. the APU. You can clear the CMOS via a jumper on the motherboard, and the computer should POST with the External Graphics card. Enter the BIOS and look for External Graphics. Upgrading the BIOS (on most motherboards) clears the CMOS - automatically.

Ryzen 5 Pro 4650g, ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4/ac, 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600MHz, SAMSUNG 970 EVO NVMe 500GB, Super Flower Leadex III Gold 850W
0 Likes
vialli100
Forerunner

As already said a bios update will probably get it working..

But I upgraded my Ryzen 7 1700 to 3700x on Asus x370 Pro and the board struggled with it..

After messing with the x370, I found the board struggled with the power delivery.. I think the VRM's were a bit weak..

I think if you going for 3000 or 5000 series it's best to upgrade your motherboard too..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

When rebuilding my PC I also had such a problem with GiBy X399 AORUS PRO, Threadripper 1990X, GiBy AORUS LIQUID COOLER 240, AORUS DIMM 16 GB DDR4-3600 Kit, GIGABYTE AORUS P750W, GiBy 8GB Radeon RX 5700 XT Aorus 8G and GIGABYTE AORUS AORUS Gen4 SSD 1TB. Several suggestions from Gigabyte support were unsuccessful, finally I loosened the screws of the CPU cooling by one turn, then finally the BIOS started and since then only the known problems with the Radeon graphics drivers, which have improved a lot with 21.10.1.

0 Likes