cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

rbtree1
Journeyman III

Upgraded from a 2700x to a 3700x, now no boot

Motherboard is a Gigabyte x470 Gaming 7. Installed it, and everything spins up. Error codes cycle through several, usually ending up at 15.  FF, 07. Red mb light is now staying on. Tried several times, including reseating cables, memory in different slots, and just one stick.  Reset CMOS via jumper and r&r cmos batery. Went back to the 2700x and all is fine.  

I was careful installing the chip, and used plenty of thermal paste, in fact a bit too much, as I didn't add more when switching back to the 2700x.  Tried it again, but the problem persists. 

I have no idea what could be the issue. RMA it?

0 Likes
1 Solution
strixuk
Adept II

Using your 2700x you need to update your motherboard's BIOS to atleast F40 or above for the 3700x to work, once your BIOS is updated, put in the 3700x and it will work, let us know how you get on or if you need extra help

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Earnhardt
Grandmaster

Update bios to F40 

0 Likes
strixuk
Adept II

Using your 2700x you need to update your motherboard's BIOS to atleast F40 or above for the 3700x to work, once your BIOS is updated, put in the 3700x and it will work, let us know how you get on or if you need extra help

Is there an echo in here?

Is there an echo in here? 

Thanks, everyone. I thought I replied. I was told the same on hardforum. I didn't know that a bios upgrade was needed for a 3000 series CPU. The various bios instructions didn't seem to make that clear. 

I now have the 2700x back in but it won't boot either. I've tried all the combos of switch positions on the two dual/single bios switches, all to no avail.... and have reset the cmos several times as well.

0 Likes

If you have multiple RAM sticks try with only 1 stick in case one of the sticks has failed, if it boots then update the bios, throw in the 3700x and try adding the ram sticks again 1 by 1 until you find the failed stick (if any)