Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

grenpara
Adept I

Upgrade question from Ryzen 5 3600 to Ryzen 7 3800xt

Hello,

I have a weird question.

My Motherboard and my bios supports the entire Ryzen series and thou some need a flash.

But the 3800xt is fine with my current bios.

I am Running a 3600 now and thinking of upgrade in near future.

My question is can I pull the 3600 and stick in the 3800xt without needing to reinstall windows?

Since bios and hardware would not need and changes.

Thanks in advance

Gren

0 Likes
1 Solution
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Should be able to do that. You'll need to clear CMOS, so write down or store your RAM settings on a flash drive. Then reset or retune PBO or whatever to your liking. This is due to the 3800XT having 2 CCX's compared to the 3600 with only one. It could require retuning of the RAM, not always. Pop and swap is a possibility but to avoid issues, clear the CMOS.

Unless you need more cores for some kind of work, you're far better to move to the 5600X at ~$300 USD. It'll run circles around that 3800XT in single threaded apps/tests and beat it in gaming. You would use the 3600 to update your BIOS is all for that. I did it, no regrets.

I could've went to the 3700X but it's no contest, nothing is,cachemem 3_18_21.png3_18_21.png to the 5600X or higher. Multi thread tests, the 5600X might be a little behind due to having 2 less cores, but RAM read/write/copy speeds, reduced latency in the CPU, faster caches, bigger level 3 cache, all make up for a few points only seen in benchmarks.

Updating the BIOS to the latest version is good to do in case you want to move to the 5000 series or if you want SAM support for the 6000 series GPU's. If you're not needing that yet, wait until the 1st week of April to update, it fixes and enhances a lot of things for both 3000 and 5000 series CPU's. 

"It worked before you broke it!"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Should be able to do that. You'll need to clear CMOS, so write down or store your RAM settings on a flash drive. Then reset or retune PBO or whatever to your liking. This is due to the 3800XT having 2 CCX's compared to the 3600 with only one. It could require retuning of the RAM, not always. Pop and swap is a possibility but to avoid issues, clear the CMOS.

Unless you need more cores for some kind of work, you're far better to move to the 5600X at ~$300 USD. It'll run circles around that 3800XT in single threaded apps/tests and beat it in gaming. You would use the 3600 to update your BIOS is all for that. I did it, no regrets.

I could've went to the 3700X but it's no contest, nothing is,cachemem 3_18_21.png3_18_21.png to the 5600X or higher. Multi thread tests, the 5600X might be a little behind due to having 2 less cores, but RAM read/write/copy speeds, reduced latency in the CPU, faster caches, bigger level 3 cache, all make up for a few points only seen in benchmarks.

Updating the BIOS to the latest version is good to do in case you want to move to the 5000 series or if you want SAM support for the 6000 series GPU's. If you're not needing that yet, wait until the 1st week of April to update, it fixes and enhances a lot of things for both 3000 and 5000 series CPU's. 

Hello,

Thanks for fast reply to my post and the help.

I will consider the 5600 and check costs.

I would have to flash the bios as with my mobo/bios the 5600 would need higher bios.I was trying to limit a flash if possible as had problems with flashing in the past (not this mobo).

Thanks for your help and time.
Stay safe
GrenPara

0 Likes

These newer boards are pretty safe to flash. You always have this knot while you wait for it to write and reboot, lol. That won't change. I've had a BIOS flash fail one time as well. Trick is, do not turn off the PC! Get to another and make a new USB stick with either an older BIOS or the same one and retry it. Once it's off, it's all over. You need an RMA or SPI flasher to fix it. 

I use a blank stick with just the BIOS image on it to be sure as I can anyway. I hope you can get the 5600x, you'll enjoy it. I found mine on eBay for $385 tax and shipping, so not too scalpy. It is one that AMD has had in stock a few times and I think Walmart or Amazon had it at $299 recently.

0 Likes

Hello,

Thanks for the fast reply and sorry for my late reply.

I will take a shot at 5600x in a couple months.
Being on disability really has limits on $$$ but the 5600x does look great.

Thanks again
Gren

I'm perma disabled myself so I know the $$ issue. Best to hang out until you can get the 5600X. I know I had one or two chances in the last 3 years to build a PC or buy a GPU/CPU. U.S. stimulus comes out 4/7 for direct deposit/ card deposits! Assuming you're in the U.S. since we're about the only country with an actual system for the disabled.

0 Likes

Hello,

Thanks for fast reply.
First not in USA but Canada.

I will wait for the 5600x thou it might tike me a bit longer that I though.
Had some more expenses come up I was not expecting.

Anyways thanks for the help.
Gren

0 Likes