cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

sealourt
Adept I

Uninstalled AMD Chipset Drivers

About 3 months ago, I installed AMD Chipset Drivers... not knowing what they even were. 3 months later (Couple days ago) I realized that it looked like something that would involve things in my pc. So I researched, and just uninstalled them. Then I got an update called "Advanced Micro Devices Inc. - SecurityDevices" through windows update, and installed it. I then restarted my PC and everything seemed normal. But if I look in device manager I still have some drivers left behind from the chipset software, and I still have an AMD Folder on C: that im not sure why it was left behind. Should I leave my pc alone or should I be worried?

0 Likes
1 Solution
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

i am going to assume your buddy installed what was needed. If your pc is running fine go to the AMD website and reinstall chipset drivers.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Earnhardt
Grandmaster

1st off:

https://community.amd.com/t5/knowledge-base/information-required-when-posting-a-discussion/ta-p/4227...

2nd:

If you are running an AMD Motherboard, you do need the Chipset drivers

Sorry about that.

I am running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-core 12-thread Processor

MSI Gtx 1080 8gb

Aorus b450 pro wifi

Corsair Tx 650M Psu

16gb DDR4 RAM

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Did you build this PC or was it already built when you got it? This matters because if you did build it there are steps that need to be taken when you initially build and install Windows. It also needs to be done when you do a fresh Windows install on most PCs. 

If you built this PC or did a fresh Windows install after you got it, you should go to the Gigabyte website find your motherboard and install the drivers provided there except for the chipset drivers. Then install the B450 chipset drivers from the AMD site. I think Gigabyte has a driver utility that will do the work of installing drivers if you want to use it instead of manually installing the drivers for each component on you motherboard individually. It will try to install a bunch of 3rd party stuff too though so uncheck all the 3rd party garbage like Norton and Google Chrome before you start the process. If you need help message me or keep posting here and I can try to help.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

A friend built my pc for me.

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

i am going to assume your buddy installed what was needed. If your pc is running fine go to the AMD website and reinstall chipset drivers.

0 Likes

I installed them.

I got a BSOD when I booted up my pc in the night, but it went away so fast I couldn't get the error code. Seems like the drivers did cause problems but now I reinstalled them and everything is working fine. Now after I uninstalled them a couple weeks ago, I still had some drivers. I dont know if that was windows that installed them or not, but if you already have the drivers and install new ones does it just update the one you already have and install the ones you dont have?

0 Likes