Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

pat_2004
Adept II

Understanding idle temperatures AMD Ryzen 3500X

Hi,

Recently I have built AMD 3500X based PC with B550M chipset board. It’s a relatively low-end non gaming PC with basic GT1030 GPU. I am using the Stock AMD Cooler that came with the processor. Cabinet is Mid Tower and one inlet & one exhaust fan

As such I am an AMD enthusiasts and I have had several AMD CPU based PCs based on Athlon (Socket A), Sempron (Socket 754), Athlon XII (Socket AM3), Ryzen 3 1200 1st Gen, (Socket AM4) and now the 3500X.

All my previous generation CPUs would idle at around 40 – 42 Degrees Centigrade.

This one 3500X idles at around  50 Deg Centigrade.

So, I am in a way making a comparison. Good part is that in AMD Ryzen Master app, in stress test the temperatures do not cross even 65 Deg C.

I have done following to reduce the idle temperatures by a bit

1. Updated BIOS to latest version
  2. Replaced the  thermal paste with Artic MX4 brand
  3. Very slightly lowered the CPU Voltage thru Ryzen Master app
  4. Experimented with Fan setting in BIOS but that had no much effect

Now it idles at around 46 - 47 Deg C. So, there’s a gain of around 3 – 4 Deg C. Also since I use general computing, Playing MP3, running a VM for some time, Web browsing, general office apps etc the temperatures are between 47 thru 54 Deg C most of the times.

I live in Asia where it’s hot summer right now. Day time ambient can be as high as 30 – 32 Deg C.

This leads me to 2 queries which I hope you can help.

1. Do 3rd Gen Ryzen CPUs relatively run a bit hotter in idle conditions as compared to all previous generations? Or is this a pure silicon lottery?
  2. Now 46 – 47 Deg C idling and around 54 – 55 during normal load all OK? I mean if it isn’t broken I don’t want to fix anything!

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Considering the Ryzen 3000 series Maximum Operating Temperature is 95C you temps are way within normal especially under stress.

I have a 3700X that idles anywhere between low 40C to high 50Cs and constantly changing. Under stress I tops out at 72C depending on my Room Temperatures. I am using a 3rd Party CPU Cooler with a 150 Watt TDP rating.

So as long as it doesn't idle above 60C constantly and the processor's temperature never goes above 85C under any type of loads, I wouldn't worry about it.

NOTE: The Ryzen 3000 series Processor are constructed differently than the previous Rzyen 1000 & 2000 Series processors and do tend to run slightly hotter because of it. But today 3rd party CPU Cooler have been engineered to adapt to those changes.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Your temps are fine is the short answer. I'd use HWiNFO vs. Ryzen Master for monitoring temps and such, much more accurate and less resources. Master is just junk personally. Anything I adjust, I do so via BIOS. 

Speaking of BIOS, if you're using AGESA 1.2.0.0, it seems that raises voltages and temps in general. We are all hoping AMD fixes that issue.

"It worked before you broke it!"

Considering the Ryzen 3000 series Maximum Operating Temperature is 95C you temps are way within normal especially under stress.

I have a 3700X that idles anywhere between low 40C to high 50Cs and constantly changing. Under stress I tops out at 72C depending on my Room Temperatures. I am using a 3rd Party CPU Cooler with a 150 Watt TDP rating.

So as long as it doesn't idle above 60C constantly and the processor's temperature never goes above 85C under any type of loads, I wouldn't worry about it.

NOTE: The Ryzen 3000 series Processor are constructed differently than the previous Rzyen 1000 & 2000 Series processors and do tend to run slightly hotter because of it. But today 3rd party CPU Cooler have been engineered to adapt to those changes.

Yes I am on AGESA ComboAM4v2 1.2.0.0. However this is the latest BIOS for the board. Hope they improve it further.

Thanks a lot for your clarifications. I will experiment a bit but looks like it's all OK. 

0 Likes

I know there's a solution accepted for this, however, the newest Agesa 1.2.0.2 addressed my voltage/temp issues as well as while boosting. I had to fix a RAM sub timing due the BIOS update. Most manufacture's have the new BIOS out. 4/9/21 was the release date. PBO and the CO seem to be working as intended, the latter I haven't tried playing with. The CO per core is a real PITA, requiring tons of reboots to find the best setting. Ryzen Master just doesn't cut it. That finds the best core, which one can do using HWiNFO and running even CPU-Z to find which cores are best. It's still a guessing game as to how far one can CO to the negative. I think AMD needs to find a way to automate the process. 

Some may like to spend days tweaking the last drop of performance out and if you have a Windows To Go USB, then go for it. Personally, finding the best all core negative CO or leaving it alone and finding the best max Auto OC is just easier. The final result either way yields negligible results. I found my best FPS gains were in RAM timing/sub timing and going for a high FCLK on my 5600X. Currently at 3933/1966 CL16 custom timings. I get WHEA 19's but no issues running at 4000/2000 but this is 3733 RAM, so it could be a matter of finding some Team Group Xcaliber DDR4 4000, since it's Samsung B-die as well, just binned better. The FPS jumps up about 20 in Far Cry 5 going form my current 3933/1966 to 4000/2000. RAM read/write/copy increases by 3GB average too. I think the WHEA, while seemingly harmless, is due to the L2/3 CPU cache read speed dropping slightly. The rest of the cache increases, so not sure if it's a FCLK wall, since I can't boot at 3800/1900 but can boot at higher speeds and stay 1:1. 

Anyway, the main point was the BIOS update returned voltage and temps to normal ranges, lower than since I built the rig. PBO boosts to 4750 just fine, so chasing more CPU speed is last on my list ATM. Running 4000/2000 at CL16 without WHEA 19 is my goal eventually. It may require trying a 5800X or 5900X since they are 105W parts and seem binned better. Rumor has it the 5800X has the same CCX as the 5600X just 2 more cores, so it could be an epic waste of money over the tried and true 5900X having the ability to get to the 2000 FCLK. CPU prices are stupidly high so waiting for prices to get real is first. The 5800X at $449 in the US is tempting....

"It worked before you broke it!"

Thanks a lot for a detailed explanation. As such I brought it down using various BIOS tweaks from 51 to 46 - 47C and the reason I accepted that solution is because I was subsequently also just for my reference in discussion with AMD Tech support thru a support ticket and they confirmed that 46 is perfectly normal.

I have already updated the BIOS and with Agesa 1.2.0.2 it's further lowered to 42 - 43. But AMD tech support confirmed 46 as normal. So it was all ok.