cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ghost_
Adept I

Unable to post to update BIOS with Ryzen 5 3600 and MSI B450M Pro-VDH Max

From what I'm reading, these B450M Pro-VDH Max boards come with updated BIOS that are Ryzen 3000 ready.

There's no BIOS Flash Button on this model unfortunately.

But have everything installed, and I'm getting the "CPU" and "DRAM" debug lights coming on...power is on to all fans, including GPU, but just black screen, cannot get to post to update BIOS, if needed.

MB: MSI B450M Pro-VDH Max

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

RAM: Team T-Force Dark Z 16GB (2x8) DDR 3200 (TDZRD416G3200HC16CDC01)

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB DUAL EVO Advanced Video Card

Power:  Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z 30SB150200000 OEM 24-bit 192 kHz Sound Card

This is my first build, so forgive me if the solution is obvious...but I wanted to ask here before taking it all apart and inquiring about a Boot Kit.

Things I've already tried:

• Going down to 1 stick of RAM
  • Removing the "Reset Switch" from mobo
  • Using VGA and HDMI directly from mobo ports

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...been on this for 5 days now.

Thanks!!

0 Likes
1 Solution

This is the BIOS version you need that supports the Ryzen 5 3600 processor: Support For B450M PRO-VDH MAX | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global 

According to your BIOS download page the Original BIOS version for the motherboard is 7A38vB0.zip: Support For B450M PRO-VDH MAX | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global 

So your Motherboard probably has a much newer BIOS version if you just purchased it this year. Your Processor should work with the BIOS you have currently installed.

Possible your RAM MEMORY is not compatible. I don't see it list in the QVL List for Matisse processors for your motherboard: Support For B450M PRO-VDH MAX | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global 

But I don't know how Out-dated or up to date this list is. The last TEAM RAM part number is TDT and there are not TDZ.

But you RAM may still be compatible because maybe MSI hasn't tested your RAM yet for compatibility which is why it isn't listed.

But if you want to open an Online AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) and see what they recommend from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

Also open an MSI Support ticket and see if they recommend.

Plus open a TEAM Support ticket and see if that RAM is compatible with Ryzen Matisse processors.

EDIT: Make sure you have the Motherboard Aux CPU Power cable connected to the motherboard. Normally it is either a 6 or 8 pin connection. The computer may not boot up if the Motherboard's CPU power cable is not connected.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

This is the BIOS version you need that supports the Ryzen 5 3600 processor: Support For B450M PRO-VDH MAX | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global 

According to your BIOS download page the Original BIOS version for the motherboard is 7A38vB0.zip: Support For B450M PRO-VDH MAX | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global 

So your Motherboard probably has a much newer BIOS version if you just purchased it this year. Your Processor should work with the BIOS you have currently installed.

Possible your RAM MEMORY is not compatible. I don't see it list in the QVL List for Matisse processors for your motherboard: Support For B450M PRO-VDH MAX | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global 

But I don't know how Out-dated or up to date this list is. The last TEAM RAM part number is TDT and there are not TDZ.

But you RAM may still be compatible because maybe MSI hasn't tested your RAM yet for compatibility which is why it isn't listed.

But if you want to open an Online AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) and see what they recommend from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

Also open an MSI Support ticket and see if they recommend.

Plus open a TEAM Support ticket and see if that RAM is compatible with Ryzen Matisse processors.

EDIT: Make sure you have the Motherboard Aux CPU Power cable connected to the motherboard. Normally it is either a 6 or 8 pin connection. The computer may not boot up if the Motherboard's CPU power cable is not connected.

Thanks for the reply. 

Aux power is hooked up properly. I was actually thinking RAM compatibility when I was looking over the specs on the MSI website. 

The RAM was recommended for the build on the subreddit I was referencing for a guide. But I will open tickets through AMD and MSI and report back. 

In the meantime I might just order some RAM listed by MSI and try that as well. 

Will report back... thanks!!

WE HAVE POST!!!

Replaced RAM with Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600MHz (4x8gb).

Serial number listed on MSI's mobo page: CMK32GX4M4D3600C18

Removed heatsync, resat the CPU, reapplied thermal paste and heatsync.

Removed and reinstalled graphics card as well.

Still receiving the same two Debug LED's: "CPU" and "DRAM"

Went down to one stick of RAM in DIM Slots 2, 3, and 4 and got the same error.

However, when in DIM Slot 1, the Debug LED's cycle through (it's never gotten this far before!)

Put the HDMI in the graphics card instead of mobo...and got a post screen!

Went back and made sure all my RAM were clicked in properly (I did not realize how hard you have to push, I felt so nervous I was going to damage the mobo).

Got into the BIOS screen, and am currently installing Windows 10!!!

I'm so happy you have no idea...more than 3 weeks of trial and error!

Thanks again!!

Ha Ha, just deleted my answer when I saw your thread had the correct answer which I was completely surprised since you mentioned you didn't have any video.

Great, You are one patient dude.

I was beginning to think you had either a defective Motherboard or Ryzen.

Happy computing!

Take care.

Ha I figured...

Thank you so much again, it would have taken me forever to narrow down the RAM!

I'm going to be up all night tweaking settings and installing drivers

Stay safe and take care as well!!

chiranjeebnayak57
Journeyman III

Brother I am also facing the same issue please help me brother please give me the solution 

0 Likes