cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mitchell1551
Adept I

Trouble Understanding How Much Ram My PC Can Support

Hello, I recently purchased my first PC, a Cyberpower pre-built PC from Best Buy.  It has the AMD Ryzen 5 5600G processor.  I also purchased an 32 GBs of Ram- Corsair Vengence 3600 megahertz.  I would like to buy another 32 GBs of the same Ram.  However, I am unsure if another 32 GBs will add anything to my computer with my current processor.  I see on AMDs website my processor has a system memory specification of up to 3200 megahertz.  What does this mean exactly?

Is the megahertz additive, meaning adding another 32 gigs of ram with 3600 megahertz to my existing 32 gigs of ram with 3600 megahertz would result in 7200 megahertz of ram, thus meaning my computer cannot support that much ram and therefore it is not worth it to buy the additional 32 gigs?

0 Likes
5 Replies
Nagrenol
Challenger

Really it depends on what you are doing with your PC and what you mean by increased speeds

If you are just gaming, 32gb is more than enough. Anything over than is just a waste of money really

But if you are using it for professional purposes ie engineering/editing you'd want to start looking into 64gb.

0 Likes

Hi Nagrenol, thank you for the response.  I actually use my PC for machine learning/computer science purposes, so I think I would benefit from an additional 32 gb of ram, just not sure if my PC can support it.  

Also, I updated my original post which I think explains my question more clearly.

Thanks again!

You need to look at your PC's Motherboard Specs to say what is the Maximum amount of RAM Memory it supports.

Also I would use the exact same RAM that came with your PC since it is compatible with both your Motherboard and Processor.

If not you will need to look at PC's Motherboard QVL List for RAM Memory for the 5000 series processor.

To find out what Motherboard you have and Ram installed download SPECCY and it will show you the Make & Model of both your Motherboard and RAM Memory installed.

NOTE: When it comes to purchasing RAM you should always purchase a SET of the amount of RAM you want to install to assure 100% compatibility.

Also...  Most pre-built computers only have 2 slots for RAM.  You will certainly need to look inside to make sure you can add more RAM.  If you only have 2 slots, then most likely you will need to replace the current RAM with a larger kit.

QB

0 Likes
pckiller00
Adept I

Megahertz isn't addictive..there are a wealth of pages and forums that explain the importance of the RAM speed ie DDR4 3200/ DDR4 3600 for Ryzen CPUs. Depending on the processor, it has a sweet spot of optimal RAM speed to obtain optimal system performance. If you are overclocking RAM speed and timings become important; again a simple google search on the aforementioned will provide a wealth of information.

So if your current system can handle 4 chips of RAM, then adding another set of DDR4 3600 doesn't make it DDR4 7200, just means you would have 4 sticks of DDR4 3600 RAM.

Additionally, if you install faster speed RAM than what was initially installed, then the RAM will clock down to the maximum speed supported by your motherboard. Depending on the RAM you purchase, it may run at a certain speed below what it is rated as or needs to use an XMP profile to obtain the listed RAM speeds.