cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

papalati
Journeyman III

TR 1950x 3.4 across all cores 100% load. Otherwise 2.36-4.12...

Long-time reader, first-time poster... 

I just can't seem to figure this issue out and I'm sorry if it has been asked millions of times before, I did search the forum first before asking. 

Under normal operation, the clock reports at anywhere between 4.12 and 2.36 depending on activity. Activities include, but not limited to moving in and out of programs or doing normal workloads the CPU averages around 3.71. Idle it will drop to 2.36 because of the power profile Ryzen Balanced. If set to High Performance it runs at 3.69-3.71 on average. 

But as soon as the processors are tasked with something like Cinebench or doing a rendering job in Maya, the clock speed instantly drops to 3.4 across all cores until the job is done. No matter the power mode setting it does this. 

I've attached snapshots showing this.

TR 1950x - Most settings to auto.

Noctua NH-UHS14S in Push-Pull Config

Asus x399 Strix

64GB HyperX 3000 15-17-17-38 - Set to DOCP
Samsung 970Evo NVME

Geforce 1080ti

Seasonic 1000w Platinum 

Windows 10 Pro

Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
1 Solution
misterj
Big Boss

papalati, I ran the AIDA64 Stability test on my 1950X and got almost the identical results.  I need to do some more testing, but this may be a case of not enough load.  Enjoy, John.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

papalati, please post a screenshots of Ryzen Master (RM) for each of your examples.  Do not run any OC sofware especially from MB vendor.  Do a Clear CMOS first.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Thank you misterj for your assistance. 

I'm not running any additional software regarding oc, not even on my video card. My work is too important to risk instability. 

I am including new screenshots as you requested running Ryzen Master Software at default. Full load was completed using stress testing with Aida64. 

100% Load

Under Load Example_RM.JPG

Idle Example 1: Just moving the mouse around on the screen. 

Idle Example 1_RM.JPG

Idle Example 2: Just moving the mouse around on the screen. 

Idle Example 2_RM.JPG

0 Likes

Thanks, papalati.  Here is the specifications for your processor:

pastedImage_1.jpg

The maximum you should see is 4.0GHz.  The higher numbers may be coming from HWinfo or other applications and and are not as accurate as RM.  I am surprised you are running DOCP and not crashing.  Your memory is running 3200 MHz.  My concern if that VDDIO is NA in RM.  This usually means someone or some app has altered BIOS - probably ASUS DOCP.  I am using my 2990WX but also have a 1950X which I will fire and do some testing.  Does your BIOS offer XMP?  I am running XMP 2 (3200MHz) on my 1950X.  I have to leave now but will do some testing on my 1950X when I return.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

papalati, I ran the AIDA64 Stability test on my 1950X and got almost the identical results.  I need to do some more testing, but this may be a case of not enough load.  Enjoy, John.

Thank you very much for testing and providing me at least a comparable case. Much appreciated.

0 Likes

papalati, for a quick test, I selected Profile 1, set all core clocks to 4000 MHz and the core voltage to 1.30 volts.  It ran AIDA64 with all cores running 4000MHz.  The problem was the CPU temperatures quickly went to 69C, then 74C.  Since 68C is the maximum, I stopped the test.  I assumed that throttling would take place to hold the temperature to 68C and below.  I will do some more study and let you hear what I learn.  It is very clear the 1950X will run 4GHZ, no sweat.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes