cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Zerophase
Journeyman III

Torque wrench is not popping. Any means of testing if this works safely?

I'm installing a 3990x, and I get to a point where the screw needs some actual muscle behind it to keep screwing in; however, the torque wrench has not made that popping sound yet. I don't want to damage the mobo by overtightening, but at the same time I want everything tight enough to not have to take the computer apart. I could order a dead border to test on, but that's about $300. Is there a cheaper means of testing whether the tool works or not? 

The socket on the board is also a Foxconn. I've heard people have had issues with that socket. could the screws in the socket be defective too?

0 Likes
2 Replies
BNITRO
Adept III

A+ I thought this was a joke at first, JUST LIKE NVIDIA"S RT CORES ARE FAKE. 1080TI EVGA 11GB got 30GB and 2.1Ghz and was playing BFV with RTX on over 100FPS ULTRA, select medium 120+. Raytracing on a 1080ti.

as for your amd, the socket top pressure plate can be defective as in the wrong composite meaning it will fracture and allow the processor to shift giving you a false dead mobo or CHIP sequence.

0 Likes

Just not hearing a pop like in various videos I've watched, and the amount of force required to keep going is a bit worrying. Trying to avoid having to take apart my monoblock, and drain my loop. Would be ideal if I had a torque wrench certification lab to test with, but that's too expensive, and I think they're setup for automotive tools.

Yeah, it's possible the socket mounting mechanism is defective. Problem with that is if it's defective and I bend a pin I still void my warranty.

My thinking is buy a screw and a matching set of threads, with the right force specs, and hold everything in a vice at work to verify the tool is not defective.

I could buy a dead board from eBay to test for about $300. I don't need a cpu in there to test, right? Is this my best option?

0 Likes