Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

emermet
Journeyman III

Threadripper overheated- Comp wont turn on

Hello,

I've played warcarft, and COD various times on my existing build but when playing COD modern warfare (new release) for the first time I was tracking CPU temperature, got lost in the game, and then all of a sudden the computer shutdown. 

I imagine it is an overheating issue. I've tried to restart the computer after unplugging everything but it will simply turn on for a few seconds during the booting, shutdown, restart, and then shutdown completely.

I opened the CPU to see if there were any signs of being burnt but didn't see anything obvious. Nothing looks burnt out nor was there any odor of burning at the time.

Any suggestions? Is this an indication that the CPU is fried? Should i replace the cpu or could it also be the motherboard or GPU? Thanks for your guidance.

Build:

Threadripper 1900x

asus rog zenith extreme motherboard

asus rog strix GTX 1080ti

Corsair AX1200I Power supply

Gskill flare x series 32gb (4x 8GB) ddr4

Corsair hydro series H115I CPU Cooler

0 Likes
4 Replies

Check the the Pump and Fan and make sure it is working with no leaks or blockages?

If it did overheat for whatever reason, it is possible your motherboard may have been damaged or the Processor itself or some other connected hardware.

Need more info on your computer setup.

Best way to see if the CPU is defective is by installing it on another compatible motherboard with a good CPU Cooler. IF the same thing occurs then if the processor is less than 3 years old and your purchased it yourself, try opening a AMD WARRANTY REQUEST and see if they believe it needs to be RMAed if under Warranty: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form 

0 Likes
emermet
Journeyman III

Thank you for your message.

There is no leak of the fan cooler, and all the fans turn on during the boot process but dont really have enough time to check the water passing through the hoses since its shuts down quickly during the booting.

During boot the onboard LED's, seem to cycle as usual through CPU,DRAM,VGA, & BOOT but then it all of a sudden shutsdown and then the PSU stays with the red light turned on. Ive done the PSU self test with everything unplugged and it works, light turns green.

All the lights on the motherboard light up on idle as well when the PSU is on. 

I dont think the CPU cooler was the best suited for the threadripper due to the sizing difference but it was what was recommended during the threadripper release since there were not many alternatives.

Does the CPU get any indication on the pins if it has been fried? Im really just trying to figure out if its the CPU that went down and needs to be replaced or something else. I dont want to end up buying the wrong replacement part and I dont have anyone to help test with another computer...

0 Likes

Open an AMD Warranty Request and see if they believe the CPU is defective by your symptoms. If the Processors is less than 3 years old it should still be under Warranty. If older I would try to install the Processor on another compatible Motherboard and see if it boots up with a good CPU Cooler installed. This would either eliminate the Processor or Motherboard or other connected hardware as being defective.

0 Likes
emermet
Journeyman III

Please see here a short clip of what is happening during the start process.

0 Likes