cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

panoscc
Newcomer

Threadripper & Linux: CPU spikes and high system utilization

My problems with threadripper are not easy to describe.

Quite often I experience CPU usage spikes (high system CPU utilization) and my system locks for a few milliseconds. Videos and UI are a bit choppy.

Other times, CPU intensive tasks that used to be fast now take too much time. For example linking executables (using GCC) takes quite a lot of time. Writing to USB sticks is also magnitudes slower than what I remember.

The weird thing is that my problems get worst after waking up from suspend (to RAM).

Anyone else experiencing similar issues? Or do you have any idea how to debug these issues? Thank you in advance.

- I’ve tried many kernel versions (up to 4.15.2) and nothing seems to help.

- I’m booting using Legacy mode (UEFI is disabled from bios).

- Apart from CPU+mobo+ram+PSU my workstation is the same as my older setup that used to work fine. Same HDDs, SSDs, GPU, software

- pcie_aspm is off because of PCIe bus errors (many people have those)

- Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Gaming 7 with the latest bios (F3g)

- CPU: Threadripper 1950x

- RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 PC25600/3200MHz CL16 2x16GB

- GPU: Geforce 760

0 Likes
4 Replies

Is this on a fresh OS install for the new system?

Have you set DOCP for the RAM? HAve you tried running RAM at BIOS defaults..2133MHz and seeing if the same thing occurs?

Latest chipset driver?

0 Likes

Yes I've tried with a fresh install as well.

I'll play with the RAM settings a bit. I've only used the default BIOS settings.

Latest chipset driver doesn't quite apply to Linux. The majority of the drivers are bundled in the kernel. Since I tried with the latest kernel I suppose I tested with the latest and greatest drivers that my OS has.

One thing to note is that linking executables on my HDD is very fast. On my SSD though it's slow. That's a bit weird.

0 Likes

Hmm..well, even though BIOS defaults should be a stable starting point...sometimes these large RAM modules have difficulty on this platform and maybe increasing VDIMM to 1.35 will help?

I have next to zero experience with Linux so I'm afraid I'm no help there....

0 Likes
warner
Adept I

I'm having a very similar setup (Aorus + Threadripper) and very similar issues.

On Ubuntu 17.10 the PCIe bus errors went away by adding pcie_aspm=off to grub, but after upgrading to 18.04 the errors started again (even on the old kernel).

One (temporary) solution I found is switching to PCIe 2.0 in BIOS, but this comes at a (slight) cost in graphics performance.

It would be great is AMD could look at this and help us solve the issues!

0 Likes