CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4GHz

CPU Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360

Motherboard: ASRock X399 Taichi

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB @ 3000MHz

Storage 1: Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1TB

Storage 2: Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1TB

Storage 3: Crucial MX300 2TB

Video Card: nVidia GeForce TITAN Xp

I believed that Distributed mode (UMA) was good for contents creation, so that was the mode I tested. The game I'm playing is Overwatch.
It's not a temperature throttle; Tdie is under 68C. I tried both non-OC and OC; makes no difference. It's not GPU loading issue; checked with GPU-Z.

Playing Overwatch + OBS Streaming (960p)  in ANY CPU preset or resolution will introduce Stutter / FPS drop issue.

BUT when I try the Local mode (NUMA), things have gotten much better, especially when I set the certain processors via Process Lasso. Stuttering / FPS drop issue is gone. So setting my PC to Local mode + Process Lasso seems to be a solution, right?

NO. This introduces too many inconveniences:

1. Local mode only works in tight latency in HALF of the RAM - I have total of 32GB, but with Local mode, each TR die gets low latency access to 16GB each, meaning that any applications going over 16GB, it's gonna introduce the higher latency; stuttering. I have to monitor and make sure that apps don't go over 16GB. I wouldn't feel safe until I change my RAM size to 64 or 128GB.

2. If I want to use creation tools such as Adobe or programming / DAW / compiling, I have to set it back to Distributed mode, meaning a reboot.

3. Setting CPU affinity using Process Lasso per game / app - Very inconvenient, meaning optimizing each of them by monitoring.

I'm reading through forums and almost everyone who's using TR 1950x as a streaming + gaming are having the same issues. I don't know if it's the optimization, or BIOS handling the RAM latency differently in UMA mode, or by design, but this really doesn't feel like a $1,000 CPU experience I was hoping for.

When I hear that ex-TR users are solving these issues by moving onto i9, I'm so very close to follow their footstep. DDR 3000MHz isn't a slow RAM to begin with, yet such high latency in UMA mode is pushing me to consider selling my current TR build and move onto i9. Can anyone in AMD confirm the issues that we streamers are having?

0 Likes
1 Solution
kyajumo
Journeyman III

Found the culprit; G-SYNC.
If you streaming + record via OBS + G-SYNC, game will lose fps over time, stuttering will occur.
Cannot believe I spent so much money for stuttering.
Definitely taking AMD route in near future.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
kyajumo
Journeyman III

Found the culprit; G-SYNC.
If you streaming + record via OBS + G-SYNC, game will lose fps over time, stuttering will occur.
Cannot believe I spent so much money for stuttering.
Definitely taking AMD route in near future.

0 Likes