cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

HHH03
Adept III

Threadripper CPU’s not supported Windows 11

Almost all Threadripper and Threadripper Pro CPU’s aren’t listed as supported hardware for  Windows 11 21H2 or 22H2. Only the newest Threadripper 59XX WX are listed as being so. Is this a Microsoft error or are we going to get the “unsupported hardware” soon. I have a Threadripper Pro 3945 WX. 

2 Solutions
misterj
Big Boss

HHH03, I agree with you that this makes no sense and I question your source. My Threadrippers are just fine on W10 22H2 and I expect them to be when I upgrade to W11. I went to MS and found what you did but I went here an all is OK. The Threadrippers that do not support TPM (e.g. 1950X) are not there but others are. This can be worked around using Rufus to create the install media. As soon as I get my Windows Live account straightened out I will comment on the MS article. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I opened a question in MS Community.

EDIT2: Responce fro MS:

"Hi,
I'm Rodrigo and I will help you.
Windows 11 supports this processor but it was not added to the list, please report this missing information on the page Feedback option"

View solution in original post

HHH03
Adept III

Problem is solved... New Microsoft list for Windows 11 22H2 Supported AMD Threadripper Pro list dated 5/25/23.   

AMDRyzen™ Threadripper™ PRO3945WX
AMDRyzen™ Threadripper™ PRO3955WX
AMDRyzen™ Threadripper™ PRO3975WX
AMDRyzen™ Threadripper™ PRO3995WX
AMDRyzen™ Threadripper™ PRO5945WX
AMDRyzen™ Threadripper™ PRO5955WX
AMDRyzen™ Threadripper™ PRO5965WX
AMDRyzen™ Threadripper™ PRO5975WX
AMDRyzen™ Threadripper™ PRO5995WX

View solution in original post

24 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

HHH03, I agree with you that this makes no sense and I question your source. My Threadrippers are just fine on W10 22H2 and I expect them to be when I upgrade to W11. I went to MS and found what you did but I went here an all is OK. The Threadrippers that do not support TPM (e.g. 1950X) are not there but others are. This can be worked around using Rufus to create the install media. As soon as I get my Windows Live account straightened out I will comment on the MS article. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I opened a question in MS Community.

EDIT2: Responce fro MS:

"Hi,
I'm Rodrigo and I will help you.
Windows 11 supports this processor but it was not added to the list, please report this missing information on the page Feedback option"

I got the same response from Microsoft. 
For fun, I ran the Windows PC Health Check App… it says my computer (CPU) is supported. 

70320274-8B8B-40EF-BF2D-AF3C5D5D8E1C.jpeg

Thanks, HHH03. My 3970X fails because I have not installed my TPM 2.0 card yet. Thanks and enjoy, John.

I found the original Windows 11 CPU list for Threadripper and Threadripper Pro CPUs...

All of these are missing.  

AMDRyzen Threadripper2920X
AMDRyzen Threadripper2950X
AMDRyzen Threadripper2970WX
AMDRyzen Threadripper2990WX
AMDRyzen Threadripper3960X
AMDRyzen Threadripper3970X
AMDRyzen Threadripper3990X
AMDRyzen Threadripper PRO3945WX
AMDRyzen Threadripper PRO3955WX
AMDRyzen Threadripper PRO3975WX
AMDRyzen Threadripper PRO3995WX

And Microsoft's current list...

Was speaking to a MS Tech today with regard to an unrelated issue, he doesn't know why the earlier Threadrippers have been dropped just that they have. I asked if it could possibly be TPM related - he did not know. On that note I have a discrete TPM coming in a couple of days and will try installing 22H2 with that and see if it sorts out all of the certification errors I have been receiving - maybe this is not a Microsoft issue but some form of fault with TPM on the Threadrippers? What I do know is that according to ASUS my Zenith Extreme Alpha has been Windows 11 compatible for 2 BIOS versions.

I'll let you know what happens.

0 Likes

The TR Pro 5000 series is the newest from AMD and is a Zen 3 design. The TR Pro 3000 and TR 3000 is Zen 2 design along with Ryzen 3000 series AM4 CPUs.  These AM4 CPUs are supported with Windows 22H2. Microsoft omitting Threadrippers on the “official list” is odd indeed… perhaps Microsoft is trying to give Intel some sort of advantage for the release their new Xeon CPUs latter this year… or sometime in the future. 
The real question is why are they omitting the Threadripper?  it’s a better CPU than most of the “officially supported” CPUs. 

Here an user of Threadripper 2950X and X399

My ASRock X399 Taichi has supported from the beginning Windows 11 with manual changes in BIOS (Secure Boot, fTPM, CSM) to upgrade via Windows Update and getting the "OK" of PC Health Check , so no issues at this point.

Looking at ASUS, ASRock, MSI and Gigabyte websites for their TRX40 series I see that the degree of released BIOS/AGESA updates is quite current, CastlePeakPI-SP3r3-1.0.0.7 for you in 2023.

But the contempt towards X399 cannot be more offensive, only ASUS for Zenith Extreme and Zenith Extreme Alpha has officially published BIOS with AGESA SummitPI-SP3r2 1.1.0.5 to mitigate security flaws, nothing for the rest of their X399 and same behavior in ASRock, MSI and Gigabyte.

To get my BIOS with AGESA 1.1.0.5 I had to contact AMD and they confirmed that ASRock had already received it. After a technical support request (I want to make it clear that I feel lucky for ASRock's technical support, supreme attitude!) they attached the BIOS v3.94 that has not officially published in the response, after flash the disappointment was even greater when I verified that v3.94 was released in January 2022. This happened to me in March 2023.

X399 received 2 generations of CPUs and is being "forgotten", TRX40 only 1 and for now officially updated (the ridicule has been outrageous) and both off the market, maybe now AMD has found its way to their HEDT version represented in WRX80 and that's IMO the reason why only TR 5000 Series is listed to support Windows 11.

I do not believe that Microsoft is helping Intel and I do not conceive that everything related above is happening without the direct influence of AMD.

Just my opinion and thanks a lot for the OP,  as a Threadripper user I really appreciate it!

first i HAD a aorus x399 which got an updated bios pretty quick and it is still up today on their site so the issue isnt necessarily board issues.

2. the REAL issue was and is that right off the bat 1st gen tr were not deemed supported for whatever reason forcing some to buy new cpus, which to be honest there was no need considering myself and others were having to replace tr cpus every 3 months due to getting red led of death ( and this was running out of box default bios settings NO overclocks mind you), amd blamed board and other hardware when it is and was clearly poor quality amd product.  i finally gave up on amd, x399 tr was my first ever experience with amd having always been with intel nvidia ( since PII days) and i can say it was horrible.  i have since gone back to intel and will NEVER touch another amd product EVER again when i build a new pc.  my first experince with amd is that amd products are faulty pieces of junk that is priced to high for the products lifespan.  

with that said, if you want win 11 just get an intel x299 for hedt and i only say that because i have built several x299 systems now including my personal one with different cpusgoing back to release of x299 and ALL of them have passed win 11  check but same cant be said for amd in regards to compatibility but again why would you want to upgrade an operating system in a system that is only going to fail in 3 months or so like an amd system will?

0 Likes

Sorry for late reply but Threadripper 1950x and other Threadrippers from TR 19x0 series DO support TPM module, but it has to be manually enabled in BIOS. Its embedded to the CPU.

Then and only then it will show up as available for BIOS and then it has to be enabled yet again, to be available for OS.

I tested this myself on AsRock x399M Taichi board, but I did not raised this as an issue, but apparently there is a misconception about these CPUs.

0 Likes

Yes you can enable TPM through BIOS but either way Microsoft dropped them from Windows 11 support, I also believe that there were problems with the TPM built into Thread rippers and a lot of the AMD desktop CPUs which is why there have been so many BIOS updates related to it, so while you may have internal TPM there is no guarantee without BIOS updates to fix said issues that your TPM is fully operable, even with those fixes on my 2950x I have gone to a discrete TPU as the internal to CPU ones always seem to have issues popping up.

All three of my PCs now have discrete TPM.

0 Likes
Vynski
Exemplar

I can believe that MS is helping Intel and Nvidia in their efforts to make AMD look bad.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes
Aje
Adept I

I have a 2950X with the Zenith Alpha Extreme motherboard and my user experience of Windows 11 is so far terrible. It is filled with bugs and is extremely laggy. I haven't felt these issues since back in the Windows 95-days. I've reverted back to Windows 10 several times just because of the immaturity of the OS, but recently decided to give it another go. Still the same terrible experience. It feels like I'm running a 10 year old computer.

Does anyone else experience the same thing?

0 Likes

I too have a Zenith extreme Alpha with a 2950X I can tell you Windows 11 does run on it but there are a couple of things I have found.

1) The on CPU TPM modules seems to be not good enough despite looking o.k - switch to a discrete TPM and a lot of problems simply vanish, not happy about it but it is what it is.

2) The ASUS "Crapware" for want of a better word will not be helping you at all, I can recommend a few things for this:

2.1 In BIOS turn OFF the automatic installation of Armory crate after Windows installs.

2.2 Do NOT! iinstall any of the ASUS tools, Aura, Fan Expert or anything else badged ASUS, some stuff will be installed via Windows Store for audio - that's O.K but no Armory crate, no Fan Expert and the like.

2.3 Install your drivers as appropriate for your hardware manually.

2.4 If you need fan control check out a piece of software called "fan control" with the ASUS WMI plugin, it's not perfect yet but does do the job, you will end up with a couple of fans that don't exist but bare in mind the author is working in the dark with no support.

2.5 Tune your fan profiles and save them. be aware that for some reason ASUS seem to have combined the CPU primary fan speed control with the secondary fan speed control but also that they seem to be able to turn off the CPU fan by itself - ASUS's fan control software is dodgy as hell and should never be left to control the primary CPU fan with out a CPU Aux Fan.

Something that will save you a TONNE of effort download the free for non commercial use version of Macrium Reflect, you will have to download their file manager first and then select the free for non commercial use version rather than the home version but it will let you do an Image of your entire hard drive and compress it to a file in case you still have problems so that you can go back to your old OS, be aware you will need to make a bootable recovery USB stick to do this. Trust me its worth the effort it has saved my skin a couple of times..

I don't get back here very often but look forward to hearing your experience with windows 11 after doing these things, I think a lot of your problems may be mitigated.

Thanks for your reply. I too have switched to the discrete TPM to get away from a tone of BSD's. 

Unfortunately I have a pretty massive build with a ton of fans for water cooling, and I'm relying heavily on the BIOS for controlling the pump and fans. This also means that I have a design, if you will, to the interior and must control the lightning. So hard to get away from ASUS.

My lessons learned from this is of course the failure of ASUS Armory Crate and its poor drivers, as well as AMD's... I will most likely go for an Intel build. I've used them for 25 years previously without any of this hassles. I will also use a manual fan control with nobs and no software (think 5.25-inch drive bay control unit we all had 15 years ago). The same thing most certainly applies to lighting up the case - as much manual as possible. 

For now, I will again (4th time) revert back to Windows 10.

0 Likes

Well, the problem is not with AMD the problem is with ASUS, I have had many boards from them over the years and funnily enough the most reliable of them was a Rampage II Extreme running an I7-2600K, From there we proceeded with the problems, my flatmate has a ASUS based on the X58 Chipset which he had problems with, Rampage V Extreme which he had problems with, I had an ASUS Rampage V Extreme Edition 10 Anniversary edition - The name denotes it's value and how crappy it was by length and you would have thought that I had learnt my lesson but NOooooo I went to the ASUS Zenith Extreme Alpha which ate a 2950x, not the CPU's fault - ASUS's fault I went to AMD after the whole intel debacle with CPU's with spectre and the like, I was waiting for Intel to do a recall as I had had my 6900K for 3 days when the announcement about them was made. But no mitigations this slow down that, update bios this and still not all the problems were fixed with the Motherboard let alone the CPU, I vowed off Intel when I was reading that the company CEO sold off a large chunk of shares right before the announcement was made... Insider trading anyone? I was annoyed that the Threadripper was then taken from the sector of the market which enjoyed a HEDT gaming / do other fancy stuff computer but AMD have been making up for it ever since. I am not running a Gigabyte board which has some lovely features and after me giving them a verbal but kicking the lighting and control software is faultless, it has 3 ARGB headers and two 12V RGB headers and a very useful noise detection header plus all the usual pump and fan headers and a plethora of temperature sensors it was a pricey board ( probably to pricy ) but I am very happy that everything now just works.

Specs:

Gigabyte X670E Extreme + AMD 7950X3D, 32 Gig EXPO ram @ 6000Mhz,  Gigabyte 4090, 2 x NVMe Samsung 2TB Gen 4 PCIEx4 SSDS, 2 4GB Samsung Sata SSDS, 1 x WD 4GB Spinner ( dump drive ), 1TB Seagate Exos 2.5 inch Spinner for general stuff - very fast 2.5. All cooled by Noctua fans and a large Noctua Heatsink and absolutely silent.

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I can live with the ASUS issues but that's not the main point of my reply. Windows 11 isn't working at all with my AMD system. Reverting back to Windows 10 and everything is great.
I get the same feeling running an Intel CPU on the latest Mac OS. It's not really designed for it.

I read somewhere that Windows 11 was designed with Intels new architecture in mind (two different types of cores) and any CPU without it just runs terrible. It makes sense as I just build a 13th-gen system for my spouse and Windows 11 runs just fine on it.

So back to the topic of this thread. No, I don't think Microsoft bother with old CPU's this time and no, I don't think AMD cared either.

Interestingly enough I was reading about some big issues with intels first implementation of the Power and Efficiency core setup causing hassles after some instructions would run on one set of the cores and not the other because the 2nd set didn't have all the instruction capabilities of the first... apparently that has been fixed with the next gen and it had to be patched around with software in the first.

0 Likes

Referring to this new Beta OS lab called Windows 11 it is impossible to say 'without problems'. In my case X399 Taichi offers the same stability using Win10 or 11 with basic settings in BIOS (PBO, XMP, BAR, CSM, fTPM, Fan curves).

Cheers
0 Likes
HHH03
Adept III

Problem is solved... New Microsoft list for Windows 11 22H2 Supported AMD Threadripper Pro list dated 5/25/23.   

AMDRyzen™ Threadripper™ PRO3945WX
AMDRyzen™ Threadripper™ PRO3955WX
AMDRyzen™ Threadripper™ PRO3975WX
AMDRyzen™ Threadripper™ PRO3995WX

Not really the 2950x which was in that list is now not in that list despite having its TPM fixed

Glad your Threadripper has been included in the list, OP is yours but I agree with @falloutboy.

AMD and Microsoft's plans remain a mystery, we'll see what happens when the minimum hardware requirements for Windows 12 are official.

It seems that the story repeats itself with 11 as with Vista, both OSs labs ... or not.

0 Likes

I wouldn’t worry too much if your Threadrippers aren’t on the list… they omitted the TR Pro 39XX WX series from the list for a very long time…  
It’s obvious the list has been incomplete for some time and as long as you don’t get the “Unsupported Hardware” notification… 

0 Likes

You would think that a company the size of microsoft, with the amount of money they rake in could at least get something as simple as a list right though.

Its one of those "you had ONE JOB" things.

0 Likes

2nd 

0 Likes