cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

lukx
Adept I

Threadripper 3970X air cooled

Can I use Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 air cooler with Threadripper 3970x?

Or I should risk potential leakage after spending all this money and go with for example NZXT Kraken X72?

0 Likes
8 Replies

You need a liquid cooler unless you want to risk damage or, at the very least, extremely reduced performance due to thermal throttling. If you're that worried about a rare leak, get a Corsair, they have warranty coverage for damage caused by leaks.

0 Likes

hmm, ok but what about lack of full plate coverage fro TR of AIO on the market. I think only Cooler Master newest AIO (short warranty) have full coverage and Enermax (very bad reputation). So what comapny AMD recommends as top one (price doesn't matter)

0 Likes

lukx, I have an Enermx Liqtech TR4 280 CPU Cooler for my 2990WX and highly recommend it.  Be sure to assure it will fit your case - can be a problem.  This is about my fourth or fifth generation of AIOs of various vendors and have not seen a drop of water yet.   I, too, was concerned about chip coverage when I was collecting parts for my 1950X.  Enermax had it all covered and I have stayed with them.  I suspect most vendors now cover all chips just fine.  I have been thinking about 3970X and plan to use the Liqtech TR4 280.  Hope you have fun.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
vitkor
Adept II

Hi!

I do not know about Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3, but I use Thermalright Silver Arrow TR4. I do not use Windows. In Linux, according to monitoring, the temperature does not exceed 90 degrees Celsius in prime95 with 64 threads.

0 Likes
anastrom
Adept I

Noctua say the U14 is qualified to keep the 3970x within its thermal limits, but suggest confirming with them.

0 Likes

Given the headaches of cooling the TR4 platform, AM4 is much easier to manage

0 Likes
dobkra
Journeyman III

Hi lukx,

In short - Yes, bellow is the explanation and recommended settings for that setup. 

I have 3970x  and I did remove the single core turbo so it works at 3.7 Gh. It is extremely smooth, and it takes around 100W. For full core load I limited the total PPT to 200 W . In both cases single and multicore load, the temps are the same. My guess is that when all CCDs are loaded the cooler is more efficient. 

With those settings the air cooler will be just fine. And it is 5-10% hit on performance (CPU only), so in the total system performance it can be almost 0 depends on the applications. So, it is not even noticeable, however it saves a ton of electricity. We need to do that almost in all CPUs today as they are overclocked to look good in benchmarks and are way above the efficiency curve that they should work on day-to-day bases.  

Cheers,
D

0 Likes