Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

gallus
Journeyman III

Threadripper 3960x Idle Temperatures

Hi everyone,

I was wondering whether my 3960x idle temps of 40-50 degrees celcius in Ryzen Master are normal or not because they seem quite high to me (Cinebench r20 load temps are 70-80 degrees celcius). Even if i spin up the fans to 100% the idle temp doesn't go below 40 degrees celcius. My AIO Pump is fully functional and working at 100% the whole time.

My current configuration (all components where bought a few days ago):

Threadripper 3960x

Asus ROG Zenith II Extreme

Enermax Liqtech II TR4 360mm AIO

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste

I have a very good airflow in my case, ambient temperatures are 23 degrees celcius and all the latest drivers, BIOS version etc. are installed.

What temperatures do you get with your setup? Thanks for your replies and have a nice day!

0 Likes
10 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

gallus, please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  Please do not run HWinfo or any other junk applications - they just confuse the issue.  I have a 2990WX and it is showing 35C right now with the system doing little.  I always run my pump and all four fans on full speed - 12 Volts from the power supply.  Ambient is 18C now - need to turn on the heat.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Here is the screenshot. I didn't change any settings (not in the BIOS and not in Ryzen Master) everything is running stock.

0 Likes

gallus, I am very anxious to see your screenshot!  Where is it?  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Screenshot (2).png

Strange. I did it as you told me and it didn't end up showing in the post. Here is a second try.

0 Likes

gallus, the forum has gone crazy and says my reply has offensive language.  I am trying to get around that.  John.

0 Likes

Thanks much, gallus.  You are running Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO).  Some MB vendors run their own OC applications.  Perhaps performance Enhancer (something like that) is running which enabled PBO.  I would suggest you open Settings-Apps and uninstall all that junk. With 23 cores sleeping and one running 186 MHz, I would expect lower temperatures. Please do a Clear CMOS and try again. I see no problem here, except PBO being on and perhaps you do not want it on.

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

Thanks much, gallus. I attached my text as mess.txt.  Please see if you can read it and tell me what the offensive language is.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
mcademus
Journeyman III

I have a 3960x, asus trx40 strix-e gaming, and h115i pro xt

I have the h115i set to the stock quiet setting and Idle at ~43c cpu/~46c cpuPackage;  on full load 60c cpu/ 70c cpuPackage.  no precision boost on

those idle temps seem good for threadripper?  

0 Likes
pap
Journeyman III

I have 3960x, aorus trx40 master,NZXT kraken x63. and I use for my vfx in houdini.n So, when simulation the cpu temp is very very high 80-90++. That's not normal amd it not about junk software monitor like you said "misterj" because the air flow from my AIO pump is hot!! Tell me what happen?Capture.JPG

0 Likes
W0D1N
Journeyman III

I have a TR 3960X on a Zenith 2 extreme alpha with a Kraken x72 AIO cooler. My idle temps varry between 35 and 45. Room temp is about 18 celcius. I think that all AIO coolers have the same contact area size wich is rather small for this kind of processors so the outside dies will get a bit hotter wich drivess up the temps. I had a corsiar h150i before but i got hotter temps with that one. Cinabench R23 will increase the temps to roughly 80 celcius. i get a score of 36100 points wich seems pretty high if i compare it online. The trick here was to leave PBO on and Core performance boost on auto (so its on). But it seems ASUS will give it way to much voltage like that so i set CPU voltage to minus offset -0.068v witch brings it around 1.4v in bios. Without the minus offset i got 15500 score. Trick ofcourse is to find the sweetspot with the offset where it stays cooler but stable.

0 Likes